October 24, 2014, 09:08:22 AM

Author Topic: Any Thing shot with a 1Dx  (Read 481361 times)

bornshooter

• 5D Mark III
  • Love L series glass
    • View Profile
    • my flickr
Re: Any Thing shot with a 1Dx
« Reply #2640 on: April 07, 2014, 01:28:05 PM »
some more amazing shots guys!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #2640 on: April 07, 2014, 01:28:05 PM »

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #2641 on: April 07, 2014, 07:21:52 PM »
The lens was a 300mm f2.8

That, is an unbelievably good Image, certainly an award winner.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #2642 on: April 07, 2014, 08:25:30 PM »
AWB would be the culprit Eldar, most people these days will leave white balance up to the Camera set to Auto, after all it can be fixed in Post.

I'm of the opinion that WB is best fixed in Camera, so I always set the white balance manually, just like you would for a jpg Image.
I normally leave it on AWB. As long as I shoot RAW it is easily adjustable in post. But in this case, where I thought I had set the same WB (temp and tint) on all images and everything looked exactly the same in LR and on print, I was surprised to see the difference that appeared when I posted them here.

What advantage do you actually get from setting WB manually in the camera? That is not apparent to me.

Hi Eldar, AWB works fine, most of the time, but if you want total control over colour caste in your Images, in Camera, you should look at Custom White Balance setting, or, shooting in Kelvin, I use all, including AWB, but will generally shoot either with a custom white balance or in Kelvin. Have a look at these three sites to get some idea.

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2013/whitebalance_creating_adjusting.shtml

http://fstoppers.com/learn-to-shoot-proper-white-balance-using-kelvin-temps

http://www.graphics.com/article-old/photography-fundamentals-white-balance

The benefits for myself are mostly around getting the best colour in camera that I can rather than leave it to an adjustment in Post, I learnt form a couple of excellent Photographers that the more you can tweak "in camera" the less you need to worry about in Post, and I feel every adjustment in Post contributes to noise and other downsides.

Most people will continue to shoot AWB because they are convinced it can all be taken care of in Post, and in most cases they are right, it can. But I believe there are real benefits to setting WB Manually, in particular when your viewing in Live View, I want to see, actually really see, what the Colour will look like in the final Image without going to Post to effect a change (remember what your actually seeing in Live View is a rendered jpg, not a RAW image).

I'm by no means a "Technical Photographer" (without a doubt Nuero, jrista could explain this much better then I, and some others as well), I'm more your "Gun & Run" type, but I've seen in my own Images the benefits to be had from setting WB manually.

I mostly went to shooting Manual WB because of the different colour caste you will find when shooting in bright light to shade, i.e.. outside a temple to inside, open savannah in the Mara to trees & shade, AWB will also work, but it's the Camera making the decision, not you, so you get what the Camera thinks is the right Kelvin Temperature in each situation, Cameras can't read minds so they do the best they are programmed to do.

You on the other hand are much smarter than the Camera with much better eye sight as well.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 08:38:35 PM by eml58 »
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Jim Saunders

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #2643 on: April 07, 2014, 09:00:31 PM »

I don't mean that it was a camera setting but rather something in your workflow; either an ICC v4 profile from one of your calibrators or a ProPhoto color profile.  Come to think of it the latter makes more sense considering that the off-color image opened ok in CS6 but not in Firefox which is ICC v4 compliant.

Jim
I have not made any such changes. I entered the whole series in LR, fixed the first image in the series and pasted those settings to all the rest (WB tint was not part of the copy/paste). The only additional change I made pr. image was cropping adjustments.

You can see from the second copy I posted that it looks like the first two in the series. The only thing I changed was WB tint from 15 to 14.

I sincerely hope I don't sound abrasive or disrespectful, I know I have on occasion best intent be damned.  I opened the two images in Photo Mechanic and the metadata popups for each show that the first one has no ICC profile defined, and the second is defined as ProPhoto.  I suggest that the visible difference between the two is more due to that than a one-increment WB change.  I very well could be down the garden path on this but I had a similar experience and that was the source of the trouble I had.

Jim
See what I see: 6500K, 160 cd/m^2, ICC 2, gamma 2.2.

Eldar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #2644 on: April 08, 2014, 12:50:09 AM »

I sincerely hope I don't sound abrasive or disrespectful, I know I have on occasion best intent be damned.  I opened the two images in Photo Mechanic and the metadata popups for each show that the first one has no ICC profile defined, and the second is defined as ProPhoto.  I suggest that the visible difference between the two is more due to that than a one-increment WB change.  I very well could be down the garden path on this but I had a similar experience and that was the source of the trouble I had.

Jim
Don´t worry Jim, I appreciate the interest and I´d like to understand what happened. The truth is, I don´t know s*** about post processing.
I´ve sent you a PM.
Eldar
5DIII, 1DX, 8-15/4L, 16-35 f4L IS, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L IS II, 70-300/4-5.6L IS, 200-400/4L IS 1.4x, Zeiss 15/2.8, 17/4L TS-E, Zeiss 21/2.8, 24/3.5L TS-E II, Zeiss Otus 55/1.4, Zeiss Otus 85/1.4, 100/2.8L IS Macro, Zeiss 135/2, 600/4L IS II

Krob78

• 1D X
  • When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2645 on: April 08, 2014, 01:23:40 AM »
Great Crested Grebe, Mating dance II
600mm f4L IS II, 1.4xIII extender
1/1000s, f13, ISO800
Seriously Eldar, these are Awesome!  Congrats, fantastic images!  :P
Ken

5D Mark III, 100-400L, 70-200 2.8L II, 24-105L, 16-35L IS, 17-40L, 85mm 1.8, Samy 14mm 2.8,  600 EX-RT, 580EX II, 430EX II, 1.4X III, 2.0X III

Krob78

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: April 08, 2014, 01:29:46 AM »
The lens was 300:

A M A Z I N G. ONE OF THE BEST PHOTOS EVER
ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE!!!!  WE'VE ALL SOUGHT THAT IMAGE!!! EXCELLENT!!  :o
Ken

5D Mark III, 100-400L, 70-200 2.8L II, 24-105L, 16-35L IS, 17-40L, 85mm 1.8, Samy 14mm 2.8,  600 EX-RT, 580EX II, 430EX II, 1.4X III, 2.0X III

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #2646 on: April 08, 2014, 01:29:46 AM »

Krob78

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #2647 on: April 08, 2014, 01:31:58 AM »
That shot is totally awesome!

That is very kind of you.

There are some more at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/smclaren/sets/72157634895659081/

AND AGAIN!! AMAZING!!  thanks for posting the link.  That's one of the best BIF fishing series I've seen... The incredibly still water just outside the splash, capturing the reflection just adds to the excellence, along with the great color and wonderful sharpness of all those images.  Really Superb!  Very Motivating!   Thanks again!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 01:37:44 AM by Krob78 »
Ken

Krob78

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #2648 on: April 08, 2014, 01:40:09 AM »
A couple from my first successful outing with the 1D X + 300 f/2.8 IS II & 1.4x III:

Snowy Egret @ 420mm f/4 1/500s ISO 400:

Anhinga @ 420mm f/4 1/1000s ISO 4000:

Double-crested Cormorant @ 300mm f/2.8 1/1250s ISO 320:

Mack, it looks like you and the 1Dx are becoming fast friends!  Great images!  I love the detail and sharpness in #2 and Excellent composition in the third, love the log, the colors and the separation from the background, exceptional shot!   ;)
Ken

Eldar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #2649 on: April 08, 2014, 12:15:30 PM »
AWB would be the culprit Eldar, most people these days will leave white balance up to the Camera set to Auto, after all it can be fixed in Post.

I'm of the opinion that WB is best fixed in Camera, so I always set the white balance manually, just like you would for a jpg Image.
I normally leave it on AWB. As long as I shoot RAW it is easily adjustable in post. But in this case, where I thought I had set the same WB (temp and tint) on all images and everything looked exactly the same in LR and on print, I was surprised to see the difference that appeared when I posted them here.

What advantage do you actually get from setting WB manually in the camera? That is not apparent to me.

Hi Eldar, AWB works fine, most of the time, but if you want total control over colour caste in your Images, in Camera, you should look at Custom White Balance setting, or, shooting in Kelvin, I use all, including AWB, but will generally shoot either with a custom white balance or in Kelvin. Have a look at these three sites to get some idea.

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2013/whitebalance_creating_adjusting.shtml

The benefits for myself are mostly around getting the best colour in camera that I can rather than leave it to an adjustment in Post, I learnt form a couple of excellent Photographers that the more you can tweak "in camera" the less you need to worry about in Post, and I feel every adjustment in Post contributes to noise and other downsides.

Most people will continue to shoot AWB because they are convinced it can all be taken care of in Post, and in most cases they are right, it can. But I believe there are real benefits to setting WB Manually, in particular when your viewing in Live View, I want to see, actually really see, what the Colour will look like in the final Image without going to Post to effect a change (remember what your actually seeing in Live View is a rendered jpg, not a RAW image).

I'm by no means a "Technical Photographer" (without a doubt Nuero, jrista could explain this much better then I, and some others as well), I'm more your "Gun & Run" type, but I've seen in my own Images the benefits to be had from setting WB manually.

I mostly went to shooting Manual WB because of the different colour caste you will find when shooting in bright light to shade, i.e.. outside a temple to inside, open savannah in the Mara to trees & shade, AWB will also work, but it's the Camera making the decision, not you, so you get what the Camera thinks is the right Kelvin Temperature in each situation, Cameras can't read minds so they do the best they are programmed to do.

You on the other hand are much smarter than the Camera with much better eye sight as well.
Thanks for the links Edward, I´ll give it a try. No so sure my brain works any better than the camera though ...  ::)
5DIII, 1DX, 8-15/4L, 16-35 f4L IS, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L IS II, 70-300/4-5.6L IS, 200-400/4L IS 1.4x, Zeiss 15/2.8, 17/4L TS-E, Zeiss 21/2.8, 24/3.5L TS-E II, Zeiss Otus 55/1.4, Zeiss Otus 85/1.4, 100/2.8L IS Macro, Zeiss 135/2, 600/4L IS II

Old Shooter

• Canon 70D
  • Never met a gadget I didn't like!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2650 on: April 08, 2014, 01:57:15 PM »

Thanks for the links Edward, I´ll give it a try. No so sure my brain works any better than the camera though ...  ::)

;D I say that all the time!  ;)
5DIII, XSi, A2, 10s (x2), 20-35L, 24-70L II, 28-70L, 70-200L, 70-200L IS II, 85L II, 135L, 40 Pancake, 50 Macro, 100 Macro, 135 Soft-Focus, Crappy EF-S Kit Lens, 430EX II, Metz 45 CL-4, Metz 60 CT-4 (x2), White Lightnings, and lots of other junk...

GuyF

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2651 on: April 08, 2014, 01:57:33 PM »

SM....pretty darn awesome shot!  Where is this?

It was at the Rothiemurchus Estate, Aviemore.  The Gillie at Rothiemurchus is Julian (a damn nice guy), julian.orsi@rothie.net he can sort out hide time.

Great shots, I might catch the train up there next week. A few questions for you:

Are your osprey shots cropped much?
What lens would you recommend between a 300mm f2.8 IS or 500mm f4 v2? (Taking both would be too heavy. I've also got the 1.4x mk3.)
Did you use a tripod/gimbal head?

I'd also take either my 17-40mm or 24-105mm for a bit of landscape stuff too. Any comments?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Guy.

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #2652 on: April 08, 2014, 04:03:06 PM »
Mack, it looks like you and the 1Dx are becoming fast friends!  Great images!  I love the detail and sharpness in #2 and Excellent composition in the third, love the log, the colors and the separation from the background, exceptional shot!   ;)
Thanks, Ken!  We are definitely becoming best buddies and I don't miss the extra 4 megapixels as much as I thought :)  I even used it over my 5DIII last night for some portraits.  Anyways, it and the 300 f/2.8 IS II are even better friends and they make a great pair, even from a moving (tourist) boat, which is where these shots were taken.  The light changes are crazy and the boat's moving, so the Spot metering linked to AF point and new Auto ISO minimum shutter speed of 1/1000s got a good workout.  The 1D series features are already taking my photos up a notch and I can't wait to really nail a shot!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #2652 on: April 08, 2014, 04:03:06 PM »

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #2653 on: April 09, 2014, 12:40:46 AM »
you should look at Custom White Balance setting, or, shooting in Kelvin, I use all, including AWB, but will generally shoot either with a custom white balance or in Kelvin. Have a look at these three sites to get some idea.

Useful links, thanks eml58. It is a shame none of them use large images (only small thumbnails) to really demonstrate the difference. Would be also great if Canon, or someone, did this with a 1D X as I would imagine that it is pretty good at getting it very close, in fact I do very little processing of my RAW images from the 1D X but do use AWB. Anyway, it is something to think about and I may give it a try to see what differences there are. Cheers.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

gary samples

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2654 on: April 09, 2014, 12:47:30 AM »
here's some new ones
1Dx
85 1.2 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #2654 on: April 09, 2014, 12:47:30 AM »