April 19, 2014, 12:21:53 AM

Author Topic: 1DX err80  (Read 20885 times)

bdunbar79

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: 1DX err80
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2012, 06:48:27 PM »
Alright, I have the 1D X, would it help if I went and shot quite a bit with the 85L?  I have an event this weekend that I can certainly do that at, and I'll see what I get to happen.  Stay tuned.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2012, 06:48:27 PM »

Moody Blues

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2012, 06:59:54 AM »
I hope other CPS members are having. Better luck than I. I emailed them Monday and received a response that the contacts on my 85L must be dirty and that was the reason for the error. I informed them that this was a brand new lens and I knew of plenty others with the same error with this combo. I then received this email

"Thank you for contacting Canon product support.  We value you as a Canon customer and appreciate the opportunity to assist you with your EOS-1DX camera and error message.

I have no precedent for your report.  I am sorry for the inconvenience. 

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance with your EOS-1DX camera . Thank you for choosing Canon."
1DX / 24L II / 35L / 85L II / 135L / 100L Macro / 16-35L II / 24-70L II (on order) / 70-200L II / 1.4x III TC / 2x III TC / 2 X 600EX-RT

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2012, 08:44:32 AM »
Quote from: Canon Service
Take two aspirin and don't call us in the morning.

>:(

I can say that I mounted the 85L II, left the menu screen open for a while, took a few shots, and reviewed some images, all without an Err80.  Note that what I did not do was to enable the orientation-sensitive AF point function.  I already know that that breaks AFMA, and am starting to suspect it may be involved with this issue as well.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

bdunbar79

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2012, 08:59:19 AM »
Quote from: Canon Service
Take two aspirin and don't call us in the morning.

>:(

I can say that I mounted the 85L II, left the menu screen open for a while, took a few shots, and reviewed some images, all without an Err80.  Note that what I did not do was to enable the orientation-sensitive AF point function.  I already know that that breaks AFMA, and am starting to suspect it may be involved with this issue as well.

I hope that is not an issue on mine.  I use that feature heavily for sports.  I'll check as much out as I can Saturday.

Richard Lane

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2012, 01:09:47 PM »
I shot my first 300 frames with my brand new 1DX and a new 85LII today and had err80 appear 6 times telling me to power down camera and reinsert the battery back. I am using Sandisk Extreme Pro 32gb cards.

Anybody else seeing this. Someone on POTN board seems to think its temp/humidity related. I live is S Florida...

Moody, same exact thing with me. 85L II, Sandisk Extreme Pro 64gb (slot 1) and 32gb (slot 2).
I first saw the error after only a handful of photos but I thought it was because I had the LP-E4 from the 1D4 installed. It mostly happens to me when I am reviewing the photos on the card. If it happens once then after I turn off the camera and re-insert the battery then it will most likely happen again. But if I try to snap a few pics before reviewing again then it seems to go away for a little while. I'm still talking with CPS, they want to send it in for repair but not even sure if they can find the issue. I didn't have any errors yesterday in the studio so I'm going to hold out.

...Images look to good to give up the camera for a small glitch.

First shot was at ISO 4000, second one was shot using Automatic point selection and iTR

We are not alone: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1208443

This is my first post here! I've been a longtime lurker, and finally decided to join, as I've been enjoying the site.  Thanks for all of the good info here!

Here's an update to the above link:  The OP/user at P.O.T.N sent his new 1DX into Canon (CPS) and apparently he was told that his Error 80 was due to a bad Printed Circuit Board (PCB) that would require a replacement part from Japan.  So, it sounds like a hardware issue.  There seems to be quite a few people reporting this issue, so perhaps Canon got a bad batch of PCB's, or this occured in the manufacturing process.  Lets hope for the best!

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1208443&page=8

@Mark, Great shot by the way!
Rich
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 04:11:29 PM by Richard Lane »

MomentForeverImage

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2012, 11:33:34 AM »
i am the OP of that thread on POTN.

my 1DX is still at canon... and I got a brand new service loaner 1DX from CPS while my 1dX is in service..

Have had the brand new service loaner 1DX for the past 7 days....

it worked fine without any error for the past 7 days in any kind condition... However, this err 80 thing happened last night.. when i was going through menus and setting....

the camera kept giving me about 20 err80 in a row so i had to give up , shut down the camera and went sleep...

This morning.. when i get up , power on the camera... the err 80 went away.. and it worked just fine for the past few hours...!!!!

Jesus ...I have had enough of this err....and this is the second 1DX body that i use that's having this err80....

what the heck is going on.... my 1DX is at Canon waiting for parts...and now the service loaner 1DX started to have the same err 80....

I shot my first 300 frames with my brand new 1DX and a new 85LII today and had err80 appear 6 times telling me to power down camera and reinsert the battery back. I am using Sandisk Extreme Pro 32gb cards.

Anybody else seeing this. Someone on POTN board seems to think its temp/humidity related. I live is S Florida...

Moody, same exact thing with me. 85L II, Sandisk Extreme Pro 64gb (slot 1) and 32gb (slot 2).
I first saw the error after only a handful of photos but I thought it was because I had the LP-E4 from the 1D4 installed. It mostly happens to me when I am reviewing the photos on the card. If it happens once then after I turn off the camera and re-insert the battery then it will most likely happen again. But if I try to snap a few pics before reviewing again then it seems to go away for a little while. I'm still talking with CPS, they want to send it in for repair but not even sure if they can find the issue. I didn't have any errors yesterday in the studio so I'm going to hold out.

...Images look to good to give up the camera for a small glitch.

First shot was at ISO 4000, second one was shot using Automatic point selection and iTR

We are not alone: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1208443

This is my first post here! I've been a longtime lurker, and finally decided to join, as I've been enjoying the site.  Thanks for all of the good info here!

Here's an update to the above link:  The OP/user at P.O.T.N sent his new 1DX into Canon (CPS) and apparently he was told that his Error 80 was due to a bad Printed Circuit Board (PCB) that would require a replacement part from Japan.  So, it sounds like a hardware issue.  There seems to be quite a few people reporting this issue, so perhaps Canon got a bad batch of PCB's, or this occured in the manufacturing process.  Lets hope for the best!

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1208443&page=8

@Mark, Great shot by the way!
Rich
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 11:39:26 AM by MomentForeverImage »

Richard Lane

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2012, 12:32:50 PM »
MomentForeverImage,

Wow, That's quite alarming!   Sorry, to hear about your troubles.  I was hoping that this was just an isolated event.
Since you mentioned that the error occurred again once you started setting some menu functions, perhaps you should reset the camera settings and only use the default settings for now, or only change one setting at a time in order to determine if it is repeatable.  Thanks for reporting the issue.  Lets hope that Canon can come up with a solution after investigating this further.

Rich

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2012, 12:32:50 PM »

MomentForeverImage

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2012, 01:38:44 PM »
I did a reset before I went to sleep last night.   And the camera worked fine so far. 

We will see. 

Two 1dx bodies having the same err 80.  I am assuming its some kind of bug that's related to some sort of setting.

MomentForeverImage,

Wow, That's quite alarming!   Sorry, to hear about your troubles.  I was hoping that this was just an isolated event.
Since you mentioned that the error occurred again once you started setting some menu functions, perhaps you should reset the camera settings and only use the default settings for now, or only change one setting at a time in order to determine if it is repeatable.  Thanks for reporting the issue.  Lets hope that Canon can come up with a solution after investigating this further.

Rich

MarkWebbPhoto

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2012, 05:02:26 PM »
I have been Error 80 free for the past few days of shooting with the 70-200L II so I am convinced it has to deal with the 85L II.

As a side note, has anyone noticed their activity light for the memory card going crazy? Sometimes mine will stay on for a few minutes even if I haven't taken any photos for a while.

MomentForeverImage

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2012, 05:10:09 PM »
I shot most of my project using 85l.  How can I live without 85l?

So u have err 80 every time when pairing with 85l?

I also switched to 24l ii.  Got err 80 as well

So it's not only 85l that's causing the problem.

Btw. I haven't noticed the thing u mentioned about the memory card light.

I have been Error 80 free for the past few days of shooting with the 70-200L II so I am convinced it has to deal with the 85L II.

As a side note, has anyone noticed their activity light for the memory card going crazy? Sometimes mine will stay on for a few minutes even if I haven't taken any photos for a while.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 05:16:12 PM by MomentForeverImage »

heheapa

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2012, 12:24:01 AM »
The issue may only affect the first batch of 1DX. Seems Canon knew the issue. I got my replacement and it's working well so far.

BlueBox

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2012, 01:00:09 AM »
I had no issues at all with 3,000 images on it at today's wedding. I used the 35 1.4, 85 1.2II, 24-70 2.8, and 70-200 2.8 IS II. No errors for me. I used the 35 and 85 85% of the night.

mmoon

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2012, 03:31:22 AM »
it is very interesting to me, in 1DX it is possible to put at once two accumulators? And who had err80, use two or one accumulator at the same time?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2012, 03:31:22 AM »

heheapa

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2012, 10:41:32 AM »
Not sure how true is this. I think I was the first one exchange the unit so I didn't receive the call from the same shop.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/canon...rr-80-a-2.html

Latest info I have just received: Apparently, Canon SG may have been aware of this issue. Cathay Photo told me that there was a recall of all their 1st batch of 1DX due to an issue he wasn't able to advise (too technical for him probably). They have since asked all their customers who bought the first batch to send down for an exchange. They are currently selling the 2nd batch where so far, no problems reported yet.

Positron

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2012, 11:33:03 PM »
Oh man, the pains of being an early adopter... good luck to all of you; hopefully this is resolved with as little fuss as possible.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2012, 11:33:03 PM »