Better frames per second
11 (11.7%)
More autofocus points
36 (38.3%)
Raw video
12 (12.8%)

Total Members Voted: 94

Voting closed: April 13, 2011, 12:43:48 PM

Author Topic: What do you want from the 5D mk III  (Read 100578 times)

Heidrun

Re: What do you want from the 5D mk III
« Reply #180 on: May 02, 2011, 05:31:45 AM »
I want a camera that takes iso 52600 like iso 800 on the 1D mk III.
I want a camera that i don`t have to put away in the rain.
I want a camera with electronic viewfinder. No mirror
I want a camera that has the same body as a 1D or 1DS.
I want a camera with square sensor.
I want a camera with around 30 MP
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 06:07:51 AM by Heidrun »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #180 on: May 02, 2011, 05:31:45 AM »

DuLt

« Reply #181 on: May 04, 2011, 08:55:39 AM »
I want a camera that takes iso 52600 like iso 800 on the 1D mk III.
I want a camera that i don`t have to put away in the rain.
I want a camera with electronic viewfinder. No mirror
I want a camera that has the same body as a 1D or 1DS.
I want a camera with square sensor.
I want a camera with around 30 MP

How 'bout a pellicle mirror?

I believe they'll eventually retry a pellicle camera on an XXXd model.

EYEONE

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 04, 2011, 09:24:47 AM »
Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but in-body image stabilization does't appear to add that much to the cost of a camera and would be a worthwhile improvement.  Canon are probably correct in stating that in-lens IS is a better option, however, as we all know, not all lenses feature this.  Ideally, the in-body IS would turn itself off and on automatically (with manual override) depending upon whether an IS enabled lens was attached.

I find it surprising that anyone at all that shoots Canon would want in-body IS. Asside from the technical limitations and heat build up, it's simply not as good for composing photos. When I look through my view finder and half press the shutter release I can see the image stabilize and I can compose correctly. I would not trade that ability for anything!
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

lol

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • My dA
« Reply #183 on: May 04, 2011, 07:03:39 PM »
I find it surprising that anyone at all that shoots Canon would want in-body IS. Asside from the technical limitations and heat build up, it's simply not as good for composing photos. When I look through my view finder and half press the shutter release I can see the image stabilize and I can compose correctly. I would not trade that ability for anything!

I take it you really enjoy the IS on the 24-70 then? It doesn't matter how fast or wide the lens is, it will give you that bit more which I will gladly take if offered. No one said you have to have body IS *instead* of lens IS, but you could have it in *addition* to. There are a lot of lenses that don't have IS, and unlikely to any time soon, so having IS in body is better than nothing. Heating is a non-issue for stills shooting.
Canon 1D, 300D IR, 450D full spectrum, 600D, 5D2, 7D, EF 35/2, 50/1.8, 85/1.8, 135/2+SF, 70-300L, 100-400L
EF-S 15-85, TS-E 24, MP-E 65, Zeiss 50/2 macro, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8 OS, Samyang 8mm fisheye

torger

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 05, 2011, 06:43:25 AM »
Oh, just got irritated again about banding noise at low ISO. I know 5D mk2 does not have as bad banding as 7D, but anyway it would be nice with a completely random read noise, which increases the useful dynamic range.

I can't exactly say I often have problem with it on the 7D (and I've heard that the problem is less evident on 5Dmk2), but now and then it pops up, for example when pushing shadows in post-processing, and in some occasions it is slightly visible in quite bright skies too. Probably I'd have less problem if using Canon's DPP instead of third party raw development software, but I certainly don't like the idea of hiding flaws in the electronics by some inhouse secret algorithm that will not be in the third party softwares which most folks use. The less that needs to be fixed in post-processing the better.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 07:53:35 AM by torger »

Dymonds

« Reply #185 on: May 08, 2011, 06:34:34 PM »
Expected this to be a hot topic and was interesting to read the wish lists of current users. As someone who is new but having completed a fair amount of research, I would expect that much of what has been put into the 7D will make it's way to the 5DMkIII. In particular though my two cents worth is:-
* Dual memory card slots (The Nikon D7000 has it so it's not impossible for this size body)
* Improved ISO

Also, can we expect better white balance. This seems to be a DSLR quirk which hasn't been able to be overcome even at the highest level (ie even the 1D's have issues here)

Velo Steve

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
    • Photos on Flickr (mostly removed when the changed the site)
« Reply #186 on: May 08, 2011, 08:07:19 PM »
    Here's my wish list, most important first:

• At least two stops higher ISO without an increase in noise.  The improvement needs to be at the sensor level - not just postprocessing.
    • Improved focus tracking of moving objects (athletes, birds in flight).
    • Frame rate as fast as the 40D (6.5 fps), or better.
    • Built-in wireless control.  Paying hundreds extra for an add-on device may have made sense ten years ago...
    • Weight no higher than needed.  "Feels solid" can be just an illusion.
    • The Mark II's 21 megapixels is already pretty good.  At some point you just waste storage space and transfer time.
    • If video features are added, they should NEVER get in the way of use as a still camera.
    • Wider dynamic range.  HDR from multiple exposures rarely gives what I want.
    • A price increase is to be expected, but I won't pay 1D-level prices.

I'm asking a lot, but after all I have a perfectly good camera already.  A new one has to be compelling.

Steve
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 08:18:19 PM by Velo Steve »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #186 on: May 08, 2011, 08:07:19 PM »

autochrome

« Reply #187 on: May 08, 2011, 10:29:30 PM »
  • 5, 7 or even 9 bracketed shots, or some other limit - user set preferably (for instance, to build HDR lightprobes with a full frame fisheye, or just ordinary HDR images).
  • Ability to record a wider exposure latitude
  • DNG support
  • For video some sort of lens data and lens operation data file would be a blessing, specially if any computer graphics elements have to be inserted in the video - tracking footage is complex, compensating lens distortion can be complex as well, specially if you're using zooms frequently, so some sort of metadata file for the video to ease the burden of post production and/or tracking/visual effects would be nice (one can dream...).

What more...
  • lower noise overall and lower noise at higher ISO speeds, even at the cost of resolution. ISO6400 with characteristics of ISO400 would be nice (this is a wish list after all...).
  • RAW video, if coupled with one of the previous points, the capability to record a wider exposure latitude, this would be great, although storage and the capacity of the onboard CPU(s) to keep up with the data being fed would be a problem.
  • USB3 support.
  • The AF system of the 7D (no point in asking for the AF system of the 1D Mk.IV, but one can surely wish it).
  • Ability to program series of (time lapse) exposure for stills, and time lapse for video
  • Same price as the Mk.II.

zerotiu

« Reply #188 on: May 08, 2011, 11:02:15 PM »
* ISO handling
* more autofocus points
* more bracketing stops
* tougher weather sealed
* same price like 550D..oops I mean 5D2  :P

tvboy

« Reply #189 on: May 09, 2011, 03:30:37 AM »
A lot of good comments and I would like to see by Canon that there be a way to connect the body to a portable hard drive...e.g. Western Digital or Seagate  and be able to copy your CF card instead of buying 3rd party equipment like Nexto Extreme or a laptop. There is already a screen to view and USB. When in the wild with no Electricity and airline weight a priemum.  Elimated all the baggage would be great.

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 09, 2011, 11:21:51 AM »
A lot of good comments and I would like to see by Canon that there be a way to connect the body to a portable hard drive...e.g. Western Digital or Seagate  and be able to copy your CF card instead of buying 3rd party equipment like Nexto Extreme or a laptop. There is already a screen to view and USB. When in the wild with no Electricity and airline weight a priemum.  Elimated all the baggage would be great.

The issue is availability of power.  A camera barely has enough power to take a reasonable quantity of photos, it would have to have larger battery or multiple batteries to run a portable hard drive.

Check out the Canon wft-e4a for your 5D MK II, It or a upgraded version will work with a MK III.  You can connect with a portable hard drive, a wired or bluethooth GPS, wirelessly operate the camera or download to a laptop, a whole host of power hungry things.  And, if the battery runs down, the camera battery is not affected.

If you are doing video, hookiing up a partable hard drive to the WFT might work for you.  For stills though, tethering a camera to a hard drive might not be the best thing.

Velo Steve

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
    • Photos on Flickr (mostly removed when the changed the site)
« Reply #191 on: May 09, 2011, 11:33:15 AM »
  • USB3 support.
  • Ability to program series of (time lapse) exposure for stills, and time lapse for video
I edited the quote down to two items which should have been in my list too.

Time lapse should be really simple to add, would save having to connect a laptop with EOS utility to do a simple series of photos.

Leisersan

« Reply #192 on: May 09, 2011, 12:18:25 PM »
How about a full rez video out while recording

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #192 on: May 09, 2011, 12:18:25 PM »

EYEONE

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 09, 2011, 12:53:17 PM »

I take it you really enjoy the IS on the 24-70 then? It doesn't matter how fast or wide the lens is, it will give you that bit more which I will gladly take if offered. No one said you have to have body IS *instead* of lens IS, but you could have it in *addition* to. There are a lot of lenses that don't have IS, and unlikely to any time soon, so having IS in body is better than nothing. Heating is a non-issue for stills shooting.

Actually bud, I don't mind not having IS on the 24-70mm.  It's too short to really need it. We can go off whining about not having IS on every single lens if we want to but these normal range zooms don't need it.

They could do IS + Lens IS I guess. If that's what you want then go tell Canon. I don't really see the point. All the lenses that need IS have IS. Maybe we should all stop whining about features and go take some good pictures.
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

gene_can_sing

« Reply #194 on: May 09, 2011, 01:59:25 PM »
I really just want some real info on body and lenses so we can all stop speculating and actually be able make some solid buying decisions. Canon is starting to remind me of RED, a company that sells Vaporware.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 03:54:59 PM by gene_can_sing »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #194 on: May 09, 2011, 01:59:25 PM »