Better frames per second
11 (11.7%)
More autofocus points
36 (38.3%)
Raw video
12 (12.8%)

Total Members Voted: 94

Voting closed: April 13, 2011, 12:43:48 PM

Author Topic: What do you want from the 5D mk III  (Read 99484 times)

richy

Re: What do you want from the 5D mk III
« Reply #225 on: May 25, 2011, 09:26:08 PM »
what I really dont want to see
- frickin novelty junk for the noobs like movable screens, lie down or stand on a chair or shoot blind, those screens are camera killers if you have to use your camera in any kind of weather.
- HDR pano sweep junk functions.
- a high speed fps. nikon make a general use camera, the d700, its pretty fast and has a decent resolution, canon make two specialized cameras, the 5d is a way better landscape cam and the 7d a better (but not by far) action cam. Lets keep it that way and not turn a 5d3 into a generalized camera.

Noobs? The 5DII revolutionized the video DSLR market. A swivel screen makes perfect sense, even for stills. Live view is much better for manual focus. Lie down? Stand on a chair? Shoot blind? Why be such an elitist snob when you can just choose to not use these functions?

And if Digic V can handle a higher FPS, then bring it on. Why would you not want more FPS? This makes absolutely no sense to me. Not when Nikon's competing FF does 8 FPS gripped, and is already a year old.

I swear, some photogs come off like they want their hobby to have more barriers to entry. It's bizarre. There are compacts out there that warn you of someone blinking during a group portrait, no need to zoom and pan to check. A buried menu function that turns on a handy beep code for this would be cool for those of us who think $3,000 should buy similar features as a $200 P&S. I want 3, 5, and 7 frame automatic in-camera HDR. I want pano-stitching. I want a crop option on my FF. I want a 300 page owners manual. For people like you, I will concede that all these goodies come "off" by default. You never need to know they are there. You can just grind your teeth and agonize over the sight of "noobs" running around with a camera that you wish only you could own and operate.  ::)

Nothing to do with barriers or short manuals. The screen would compromise the weatherproofing and the strength of the body. I need my camera to work in the rain. The 5d2 and 7D and 1 series have no issues with rain. Pros have been making great pictures for years without a swivel screen?

It may be your hobby, its my job, so yes I take it a little more seriously than somebody playing at it.

I have no issues with them increasing the use for video, but don't compromise its main purpose, as a stills camera. If the function really doesn't compromise the camera than fine, otherwise leave it in the cheap compacts. And you need a function to tell you if someone blinked? Theres a few VERY easy ways to ensure nobody blinks. Many videographers are also using external monitors with their dslrs to aid in focussing and framing which are considerably better than the rear lcd screen.

HDR?  Check out Peter Lik.  nd grads :)  Sure better bracketing would be good. I've never understood why nikon do it and canon don't, but why bother having the camera mess about with stitching panos and tonemapping HDR's, just have them capture the info and do it on a pc that can make a better job of it? I've seen some of the sony auto pans and they just aren't sharp. It sounds good but it doesn't deliver. Seriously, why not leave the processing to the several thousand dollar pc with great software?

I thought I explained the whole lower fps, perhaps you were drowning in your own vitriol. Sure if they can do it, it MAY not hurt. I just don't want them merging the 5d and 7d lines. Nikon have a general use camera in that price point, canon have two specialized cameras. Part of what attracted me to the 5d2 was that its sensor was a world apart from the d700's. I would not like to see them compromise that. Canon make video cameras, canon make film cameras. The 5d2 did a great job at stepping between the two but it is primarily a stills camera. If canon compromise its stills ability then its time to switch to nikon.

- wider af 'area'. Why bother having 'outer points' when they are so close to the center?

As I ]pointed out previously (closer to the beginning of this long-ish thread), there are technical reasons that the spacing of the AF points is so close to the center.  The AF points on the 1DsIII cover the same extent (altough on the 1DsIII they are more densely packed and more sensitive and accurate).  The 1D series (APS-H) does have a relatively wider spread of AF points than either the FF or APS-C cameras.

- the DP button switchable to a MLU button, who the hell uses DP???

I, for one, use the DoF Preview button - both for DoF preview and to activate modeling flash.  When I'm going to use MLU, I'm on a tripod, and there are several other settings that go along with that - timer/remote trigger, fixed ISO 100, etc., so rather than a button for MLU and still having to use the quick display to set the others, it's easiest to just set up a Custom Mode (C# on the mode dial) for tripod shooting. 

- number of af points. 3-9 is enough as long as they work well like the centerpoint on the 5d2.

I agree that 9 is probably enough for most situations.  Three is not enough, no way.  Having a denser array means better AI Servo performance for moving subjects.  Personally, I like the approach of 'invisible' AF points in the 5DII (although a better solution would be to make them selectable via a C.Fn for those who want to select them.  On the 7D, though, I only use the center point or a point on the edge, not the middle ones - and I'd rather not have to skip over them.

Re DP. Direct Print :) not DOF. I find myself taking mlu on and off a lot. I just find it amusing that canon (despite being begged for years) do not even make it an option to change the DP to an MLU button. It cannot be that difficult to do.

Re Outer points, I didn't see your post but I presume its due in part to the size of the AF chip? I think I remember canon saying something about that and it further increasing the body size. Personally I believe it was a cost and marketing decision.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 09:27:42 PM by richy »

sehmuzb

« Reply #226 on: May 26, 2011, 01:18:53 AM »
I need a full frame camera, a Canon will be nice but if Nikon delivers a better one I am seriously considering moving.

C'mon Canon give us:

- Canon 7D like body (no damn flip screen)
- %100 viewfinder coverage with built in cover (like 1D)
- 24+ MP, clean ISO 3200, much better Dynamic Range
- 7D like AF with at least 11 crosspoints
- 5+fps
- Built in GPS (or easy integration)
- AUTO ISO with adjustable shutter speed (lens based auto preferred)  Just look at the M8 or M9
- CF + SD card slots configurable for multiple combinations (d300s, d700)
- 60D style focusing screen support

torger

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 26, 2011, 04:51:28 AM »
More and more I start thinking that higher useful dynamic range at base ISO is of key importance (to me at least). The line noise of 5Dmk2 and 7D really irritates me, shadows can often not be lifted and I want to lift them quite often in high dynamic range photos. On the 7D line noise can be slightly visible in fairly bright parts too, like in even fields of snow or a sky. We know that a nice random noise profile is possible (just see the Sony sensors in some Nikon models). A well-working base ISO is to me more important than good performance at high ISO.

epsiloneri

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 26, 2011, 06:09:33 AM »
More and more I start thinking that higher useful dynamic range at base ISO is of key importance (to me at least). The line noise of 5Dmk2 and 7D really irritates me, shadows can often not be lifted and I want to lift them quite often in high dynamic range photos.

I agree, the pattern noise is the single most annoying flaw of the 5D2, and the reason I want an upgrade a.s.a.p. My 7D does not have that issue at all, neither did my 350D or 40D. My 50D had, badly. I wonder how much the sample to sample variation is. My impression is that certain models are more affected than others (like those I listed), and I really, really hope the banding issue will be fixed with 5D3 or I'll be extremely disappointed. 5D2 delivers such great quality pictures in all other respects that it would be really a shame if they couldn't fix this one thing.

Too bad about your 7D showing band noise, mine does not (not at the obvious level of the 5D2 anyway). With the band noise showing up in bright parts it sounds more like a flat-field problem than a bias problem. If it is consistent you can try to get rid of it by producing a "master flat field" you can divide all your pictures with.

QNeX

« Reply #229 on: May 26, 2011, 05:45:13 PM »
I would pose a question a little bit differently. What stops you from buying/thinking of buying 5D Mark II?
Personally I promised myself my next body (I have 40D) will be FF.  And obviously 5D Mark II was my #1 candidate, until advent of 7D.  Things that were not a big issue before, started to be.  Something like: "If I am going FF, I must not envy others' crop bodies."
What I need from 5D Mark III:
 - Better AF, equal or better than 7D's.
 - Improvements in high ISO and dynamic range.
 - Moire fixed.
What I would like to (but is not essential):
 - Wireless flash control.  Either by IR or by ZigBee.  Preferably both.
 - Finally get indoor white balance right (not an issue since I shoot RAW, but it is still annoying)
 - 100% VF coverage.
 - 50fps or more (in video)
Things that are of no imporance:
 - Megapixels (anything within range 21-40 is fine).
 - Vari-angle LCD.

Chewngum

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • F1.6 is the best.
    • View Profile
    • Peter Kingsley Photography
« Reply #230 on: May 27, 2011, 02:35:36 AM »
Out of curiousity... why do people want more AF points? I probably ask because I haven't been in a situation yet where I needed more. I usually stick to the top most or right most point when held horizontally.

More autofocus points helps immensely with large aperture primes. Focus then recompose will often result in the subject or you moving a tiny amount resulting in an out of focus image. More autofocus points wouldn't gaurantee correct focus but would certainly help keeper rate. I for one have been using the Sigma 85 1.4 and while the autofcocus is incredibly fast, its too in need of high contrast at the AF point to find focus. So in this situation also, having more autofocus helps with the likliehood of having a high contrast subject at the AF point.

my list of wants:
1.~30MP
2.7d AF
3.4FPS
4.CF + SD cards
5.Two stops better high ISO handling
6.Integrated wireless flash control
7.Cheaper Wifi module with GPS built in
8.Weather Sealing as 7d

Why:
1. Landscapes and cropping room
2. Better for use with primes
3. 3.9 is not a round enough number
4. Many uses...Better suited to the actual professionals who would use this camera (no, im not one of those pros)
5. This is a minimum, 5dmkII was ground breaking, they've done nothing since. Its time to shoot with the lights turned off.
6. Easy feature to accomodate and very handy for band/live performance photography
7. Awesome idea but way overpriced, GPS is handy for travellers (I am one of those people)
8. I like the rain/snow and don't want to have to run for cover because it starts sprinkling
5d, 50D, 120-300 2.8, 150mm 2.8 Macro , 24-105L, 12-24  EX, 85 1.4 , 50 1.8 II, 70-200 2.8 macro, 2x TC EX, 24-70 2.8 macro, Rokinon 85 1.4
Cameras: 5d2, 5d3
Lenses: 17-40L 24-105L 50L 100L s35A s85 70-200L IS II + lots of flashes. About 100 previous bodies/lenses

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 27, 2011, 04:24:52 AM »
Some of the things I'd like to see in a 5D Mark 3:
* ability to shoot slower than 1/30 when in live view - live view is great for landscape and focusing but not being able to shoot slower than 1/30 is really really annoying.
* 1:1 zoom on pictures for on-camera review so that you can check to see if you nailed the focus or caused blur
* the information screen for picture review to tell me how many mm the lens was zoomed to
* for live view or some other live mode to tell me how many mm the lens is currently zoomed to
* more dynamic range
* less (preferably no) banding in low light

I don't care how many megapixels or focus points there are as neither gets in the way of my photography.

messus

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 27, 2011, 04:47:38 AM »
1. 2-3 stops improved ISO/ SNR
2. 4K movie in RAW
3. 100+MBps write speed (UDMA7+ speed)
4. Max 25Mpx
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 07:35:19 AM by messus »

martins982

« Reply #233 on: May 27, 2011, 05:25:02 AM »
Some of the things I'd like to see in a 5D Mark 3:
* ability to shoot slower than 1/30 when in live view - live view is great for landscape and focusing but not being able to shoot slower than 1/30 is really really annoying.

Hey Dilbert, You can already do this by selecting the 'Stills display' under the Live view/Movie func set. menu it lets you then select shutter speeds all the way down to 30 seconds hope it helps :) 

polpaulin

« Reply #234 on: June 01, 2011, 08:55:02 AM »
Better high ISO handling
More Megapixels
Better frames per second
More autofocus points
Raw video

none

bikersbeard

« Reply #235 on: June 01, 2011, 09:28:01 AM »
better iso performance
dual cards !!
better auto focus / more points
more FPS
weather sealing
more MP
100% viewfinder with cover & lever ( like 1d series )
more AEB than 3 shots ( 3, 5 & 7 ) not a great fan of HDR myself but an easy thing to have..
multi-exposure setting

NO NO NO to a swivel screen !!!!

Tastino0

« Reply #236 on: June 09, 2011, 06:35:53 AM »
I want only one thing: it would be available. Now!

zerotiu

« Reply #237 on: June 09, 2011, 07:39:50 AM »
Until now, I don't know why people always want dual slot card badly. I mean they do want it really badly.

What's the benefit of it?

noisejammer

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 09, 2011, 07:55:25 AM »
I almost only use manual focus and live view, so autofocus and frame rate are largely irrelevant to me. I beat the autofocus every time and might achieve one frame per minute. I can see these as being very important for others and if they don't degrade the camera's versatile nature I would be happy.

In spite of having severa ND grads, I'd like to see a dynamic range filter - allow the camera to attenuate light so that you don't get blown areas in the raw image. This could be controlled by the exposure eval and removed immediately in PP. It provides an instant 3-4 stops more dynamic range. It should be smart so that only bright areas get suppressed... but that's easy to control through the exposure sensor.

2 / 3 / 5 frames while bracketing would be nice.

2x CF card capability would improve the fuzzy feeling... but even CF+SD would be an improvement.

Tilt screen - I'm ambivalent. I'd use it a lot provided my Zacuto could fit on it.

Unless you have a grip, the battery life is marginal so it needs a much  better battery. I regularly get "lens communication fault" when the battery is getting low. Maybe it's a bug between he Zeiss interface and the camera... but maybe it's just the camera being confused. I'd like that fixed too.

zerotiu

« Reply #239 on: June 09, 2011, 11:20:19 AM »
2x CF card capability would improve the fuzzy feeling... but even CF+SD would be an improvement.

Do you mean less effort to swap the card when it's full?
If  I'm right, oh... it's only swapping memory card, how long can it take?

In my opinion, 1 memory card slot does have its own benefit. You don't get confuse or accidentaly take the wrong card (when you are in a hurry)