December 17, 2014, 08:21:35 PM

Author Topic: 5dIII hot pixel question  (Read 5753 times)

HoneyBadger

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: 5dIII hot pixel question
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2012, 06:23:00 PM »
I thought this was pretty interesting. I used the up arrow next to the histogram in ACR and it showed this at 66.7%. The larger dots all correlate with a hot pixel when I turn off that setting. Are the other ones pixels that have been mapped out?

http://i.imgur.com/04VZe.jpg
5dIII; 40mm 2.8, 16-35mm 2.8L II, 100mm Macro 2.8L IS, 70-300 4-5.6 IS, 70-200mm 2.8L II, 24-70mm 2.8L II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2012, 06:23:00 PM »

ed24

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2012, 07:42:30 PM »
This is weird. I'm going to do some test shots this week to see if I can replicate the so called dead pixels in normal photos...

smithy

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2012, 08:41:28 AM »
Much to my horror, my first 5D3 had a hot pixel towards the centre of the frame which was visible at all ISOs, and even on the LCD display.  Fortunately I noticed it immediately (hard not to, really) and contacted the authorised dealer from whom it was purchased, and they provided me with a replacement which has been flawless.

It's definitely worth getting a replacement, if possible.
5D Mark III, 40D, 1V.  Bunch of strobes, lenses and other bits.
They're, their, there, it's, its, too, to, than, then, you're, your.  One lens, two lenses, the lens's aperture.

Chewy734

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2012, 10:30:44 AM »
Have any 1D X owners looked at this phenomenon?  I took some photos at varying ISOs and I was able to see 1 hot pixel at ISO 100, and 3 hot pixel regions at ISO 1600.  This was shot with the body cap on at a shutter speed of 30s.

I was able to see all those hot pixels in my photos when I use such long shutter speeds.

ereka

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2012, 01:25:45 AM »
This is very interesting. I've had my 5DMkIII since March. The first time I used it, I shot RAW + jpeg as I was only able to use the jpegs because I was travelling abroad and also didn't have any RAW conversion software with me that was capable of converting the RAW files. The in camera jpegs showed a few seemingly randomly placed black dots surrounded by lighter pixels - they looked a little like 'X' marks the spot! I'd never seen anything like it on my 1DMkII. They were quite noticeable at 1:1. When I returned to the UK, I upgraded from LR3 to LR4 and developed the RAW files in LR4. I haven't noticed the dots in any of the converted files, not that I've looked very hard but there's nothing that immediately stands out. As the in-camera jpegs are too mushy due to overly aggressive noise reduction (even with noise reduction turned off in camera), since I came back to the UK I've only shot RAW and converted with LR4. I've been reasonably happy*** with IQ and haven't noticed any hot pixels/dead pixels at all - not that I've been actively looking for them. When doing beauty retouching I often work at 1:1 or even up to 4:1 on occasion, so I'd have thought I would have noticed any hot pixels if they were there. To be honest, I'm not going to go looking because even if there are a few hot pixels/dead pixels they obviously aren't affecting overall IQ without a lot of pixel peeping (even with). I am intrigued to know though what my particular type of hot/dead pixel is/was - can anyone enlighten me? Until reading this thread, I'd assumed they were some sort of artefact produced by the in-camera jpeg conversion, particularly as I haven't noticed any (yet) in the RAW files.

*** I don't want to go off topic, but I say only 'reasonably happy' because IQ from RAW files converted with LR4 are quite good but the RAW files are noisier than I'd like even at low ISO (400 or less) and need quite heavy NR settings in LR4 (e.g. up to luminosity 70, detail 60) which results in loss of some fine detail. Also, although I don't use in-camera jpegs it would be nice to be able to do so e.g. for client proofing. I'm of the mind that this is not quite good enough for a camera at this level and I'm hoping for a firmware update that will improve the in-camera NR. I'm also hoping for a LR4 update as although I like the results, it is very sluggish when doing local adjustments.

Wideopen

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2012, 03:24:22 AM »
Hmm i better go check mines as well..

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2012, 03:24:22 AM »