July 29, 2014, 01:00:35 AM

Author Topic: Weather sealed 1D4?  (Read 3483 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Weather sealed 1D4?
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2012, 05:45:58 PM »
Well yes, I have both and the X is better.  It's faster and the IQ is better.  But, you lose the reach, hence why I keep both.

Indeed.  After shooting with the 1D X, the 7D is somehow not as satisfying.  I'm having a difficult time resisting the 1DIV on the Canon USA refurb store...
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2012, 05:45:58 PM »

Mick

• Rebel T5i
  • Wildlife, Landscape and above all sport.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2012, 06:00:44 PM »
Hows about this, buy a 1DX and rent when i need a big lens? Thing is, buying any big white is an investment. They just dont loose their value. Cameras yes, lens no. Maybe this is expanding a bit but theres an "x" factor about a pro body shot. I really dont know why but ive had a 5D a 7D and others with the same pixels but for a reason i dont know, when i look at my pro body shots they always have a wow factor. Know what i mean, as if theres something ealse other than spec sheets going on. A combination of multiple small factors that raises the bar. You know what i mean. Therefore i have a decision, camera or lens.

Mick
1DX, 1DMK4, 1DS3, 7D, 16-35 F2.8 mk2, 24-105 f4, 70-200 f2.8 is L mk2, 500 f4 mk2, 300 f2.8 mk2 1x4 and 2x mk3 extenders.

CanonCollector

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2012, 11:50:07 AM »
Well yes, I have both and the X is better.  It's faster and the IQ is better.  But, you lose the reach, hence why I keep both.

Indeed.  After shooting with the 1D X, the 7D is somehow not as satisfying.  I'm having a difficult time resisting the 1DIV on the Canon USA refurb store...

Me too but the 4K seems to stop me....every time

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2012, 02:38:23 PM »

Well, the 7D does perform well at low ISO's and the reach is very useful, but I think after using the 1D4 instead of the 7D you won't feel guilty anymore. 
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2012, 03:15:24 AM »
Sorry to hear about your pain Mick.

Curious but did your new lens survive?

One of the Aquatech rain covers may be a good future purchase. No matter how much a camera is supposed to be weather sealed everybit counts.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

RuneL

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2012, 04:39:51 AM »
My 1D4 is/was in mint condition. I bought it used with a tiny number of shutter actuations. I took it out and it started to rain. No problem thinks me, its weather sealed, a little rain wont do it any harm. Well, it stopped working. Dead. Sent it to Canon repair center, just been returned, "uneconomic to repair". So a pro body, weather sealed against rain etc goes out in one rain storm and dies. Thats £3000 down the drain. I've spent many 10's of thousands on Canon gear and im furious. The 1DS in the same storm works a treat. Any advice on what should be done next other than cancelling my 500f4 and moving to Nikon?
Mick

I've had the drive/AF-selection buttons conk out in heavy rain and also shorted out the ETTL-circuit board on my 1D IV. I've used 10D's in puring rain with no problems and talked to others with Nikon D#'s that also broke in rain whilst D70's performed without problmes. I think it's just very bad luck :S

Cannon Man

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2012, 06:29:18 AM »
Canon doesn't say it's "water proof", weather sealed is different.
Everyone knows that in practise they can take a mean beating from the elements but also that if you have it in heavy rain there is always a risk.

Start carrying an umbrella with you. I don't expect any camera to work in crazy rain for hours and hours unless they say it's actually waterproof. The reason why many think they are perfectly waterproof is because of pros that have 1D bodies to spare willingly take the risk of shooting in extreme conditions to get the shot they look for but they have back ups with them and don't cry over lost bodies.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2012, 06:29:18 AM »