April 20, 2014, 12:38:25 PM

Author Topic: More Big Megapixel Talk  (Read 15911 times)

Bengt Nyman

• PowerShot G16
  • 5DI, 5DII
    • View Profile
Re: More Big Megapixel Talk
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2012, 05:52:13 AM »
Theres nothing to stop this in current generation FF SLR's, the mirror can be flipped up and on sensor focusing used.
Agreed.
And we do that when we have to, but it's blind, tedious and useful mostly on tripod for stationary subjects.
I would like to be able to get the same results while viewing and without a tripod.
The solution to my needs is not necessarily an ultimate sports camera with hyper fast focus tracking, it's more of a high IQ handheld National Geographics camera. 
I fully trust that the Cmos industry is capable of producing exact on-sensor focus fast enough for general use. I also believe that we will shortly see implementations of optically magnified live view that rival the old optical viewers. I will gladly trade the clarity of the slapping mirror for a magnified live view with exposure preview, dynamic range preview and focus highlight.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 05:54:36 AM by Bengt Nyman »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2012, 05:52:13 AM »

CanonFanBoy

« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2012, 05:57:51 AM »
I really hope Canon is not heading towards the wrong direction in this MegaPix war with Nikon ... this round, the competition is not about the number of pixels but the quality of the pixels that put the D800 spreading like wild fire in the market place! Nikon has created a new niche this time .... for giving photographers medium format image quality with a DSLR body and price that took the market by storm!

So, whatever Canon is coming out soon, make sure it is not about packing another few more megapix in the same old silicon die to fool the market .... in order to lead in the Professional and Enthusiast segment again, Canon needs to do something really major to improve on its senor technology especially in terms of Dynamic Range (16stops), Colour Depth (16bits) and Noise ... I hope Canon don't miss the boat, this round!!!!  ;)

Bengt Nyman

• PowerShot G16
  • 5DI, 5DII
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2012, 06:39:02 AM »
It is not about the number of pixels but the quality of the pixels that put the D800 spreading like wild fire in the market place! Nikon has created a new niche this time ... I hope Canon don't miss the boat, this round!
The credit goes to Sony, who developed the Nikon D800(E) image sensor. This Sony-Nikon agreement will soon allow the same technology will become available to others.
The big difference in shooting a D800 versus any other FF camera is the D800's depth of detail which eliminates the need to frame tightly using a fuzzy zoom lens and instead allows shooting wider frames with the very best primes. The post cropped image then offers the very best in both detail depth and lens sharpness.
Unfortunately the Nikon D800 focusing problems are taking the edge off Nikon's success with the D800.
Sony themselves, Leica and Hasselblad are jumping on the bandwagon and are also likely to reap great benefits from this Sony high MP technology.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 06:40:51 AM by Bengt Nyman »

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2012, 01:24:24 PM »
It is not about the number of pixels but the quality of the pixels that put the D800 spreading like wild fire in the market place! Nikon has created a new niche this time ... I hope Canon don't miss the boat, this round!
The credit goes to Sony, who developed the Nikon D800(E) image sensor. This Sony-Nikon agreement will soon allow the same technology will become available to others.
The big difference in shooting a D800 versus any other FF camera is the D800's depth of detail which eliminates the need to frame tightly using a fuzzy zoom lens and instead allows shooting wider frames with the very best primes. The post cropped image then offers the very best in both detail depth and lens sharpness.
Unfortunately the Nikon D800 focusing problems are taking the edge off Nikon's success with the D800.
Sony themselves, Leica and Hasselblad are jumping on the bandwagon and are also likely to reap great benefits from this Sony high MP technology.

I agree.  Sometime I am amazed of what I can find cropping the D800 image taken with a 35mm lens for example.  Almost like an image within an image.  I get the wide angle view and can crop to zoom equivalent on the face to create close up from the same file.  On a few occasion it allowed me a great close-up I could not have done so...
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

paulrossjones

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
    • www.paulrossjones.com
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2012, 03:22:15 PM »
I keep hearing mirrorless.  Does anyone want a mirrorless camera like that?  Why would yu spend that kind of money on a mirrorless camera?  What pro wants to be looking through the LCD?

I don't mean this in an insulting way, but why would canon make a billion dollar mirrorless?

The Single Lens Reflex was the solution to the viewfinder problem in interchangeable lens FILM cameras.  The only reason it sticks around is a combination of tradition and conservatism.  It is a solution to a rapidly vanishing problem.

Remember that before the SLR, the vast majority of interchangeable lens cameras were viewfinder types.  The viewfinder was good for only one focal length; once you changed lenses, either you needed a separate viewfinder or a corrective optic that you looked through.  Both solutions were unsatisfactory (and suffered from parallax), but it was all we had before the SLR.  The only other styles were of course the view camera (where the SLR idea came from I imagine) and the TLR (where you had two lenses, and hence twice the cost).

Today, there is no need to look through the lens when the sensor can provide a perfect view to an electronic viewfinder.

You might still want a shutter curtain (doing it electronically isn't always the best answer), but there is no reason that a shutter couldn't still be there, it would just reverse the operation.  Push the capture button and the curtain closes, then reopens to see the view again.

I for one would consider a FF mirrorless to replace my 5D3 in due course, provided it has all the same capabilities (particularly the high ISO and frame rate).

when im on film shoots, the DPs seem to always complain about lag/latency problems, and missing the real view they had with optical finders. this is with arri alexis- and they have full hd evfs, possibly the best quality. this is why arri is releasing a optical view finder digital camera soon.
these problems will exist for a while until technology catches up.

as for 40mp in a 1dx body- bring it on. charge more if you have to, and improve the low end noise to the level of the d800, and i wont have to change systems.

paul

Bengt Nyman

• PowerShot G16
  • 5DI, 5DII
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2012, 03:08:27 AM »
when im on film shoots, the DPs seem to always complain about lag/latency problems, and missing the real view they had with optical finders. paul
Hi Paul,
Good info. How much of a time lag are we talking about ?
Enough to upset a portrait, dull a circus act, or miss a passing race car ?

Bengt Nyman

• PowerShot G16
  • 5DI, 5DII
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2012, 04:04:35 PM »
Sony announces new mirrorless image sensor technology with PD autofocus pixels on the image sensor. Possibly part of a two step process with fast PD autofocus before final accurate CD microfocus, both on the image sensor. 2012 is going to be a banner year for mirrorless photography innovation at the top.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2012, 04:04:35 PM »

Bengt Nyman

• PowerShot G16
  • 5DI, 5DII
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2012, 03:45:00 AM »
I was hoping that Hasselblad would introduce something new 2012, like they have been boosting about. Though the H5D is new to Hasselblad, the technology and capability only represents a new model year. A $ 6,000 body price would get my attention but my dealer reports $ 10,000.
The only affordable megapixel is still the Nikon D800, severely tarnished by it's focusing problems and Nikon's failure to admit and inform.
However, I welcome the Sony RX1: Though only 24 MP, this mirrorless FF with a fixed MF-AF Zeiss 35 and optional EVF-OVF could be the trick on the street.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 05:51:38 PM by Bengt Nyman »

Bengt Nyman

• PowerShot G16
  • 5DI, 5DII
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2012, 02:29:50 PM »
Breaking: Hasselblad will release a high-end mirrorless camera | Photo Rumors

bdunbar79

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2012, 02:36:04 PM »
Speaking of the D800, is it true in Nikon cameras, when you are in auto ISO, you can still do EC?  I heard this, but wasn't sure.  That would be incredibly useful.  However, the Nikon cameras do not have the high ISO performance I need, so that purchasing is a moot point, but was just curious on the EC point.  Thanks.

Bengt Nyman

• PowerShot G16
  • 5DI, 5DII
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2012, 06:14:44 PM »
Speaking of the D800, is it true in Nikon cameras, when you are in auto ISO, you can still do EC?
You can do EC (Exposure Compensation) in both manual ISO and auto ISO. Auto ISO does not alter your exposure (ISO+aperture setting+exposure time) it only tries to optimize ISO for the exposure that you or the camera have selected, be it a compensated exposure or not.
You would normally not select auto ISO (or EC) in full manual mode since it would rob you of full control.   
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 06:18:47 PM by Bengt Nyman »

bdunbar79

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2012, 07:36:40 PM »
Speaking of the D800, is it true in Nikon cameras, when you are in auto ISO, you can still do EC?
You can do EC (Exposure Compensation) in both manual ISO and auto ISO. Auto ISO does not alter your exposure (ISO+aperture setting+exposure time) it only tries to optimize ISO for the exposure that you or the camera have selected, be it a compensated exposure or not.
You would normally not select auto ISO (or EC) in full manual mode since it would rob you of full control.

Thanks,

Most cases, no you wouldn't.  But in the lighting situations I shoot in with sports, auto ISO with EC +2/3 would be very, very useful, especially at night football or night soccer where one team has white jerseys.  The lighting changes across the field way too much at night, even just when players turn a different direction.  I'm not saying you can't shoot in those situations accurately, it's just it would be very useful if you could do it that way.  You then just worry about shutter speed and depth of field.  Just curious why Nikon can do it but Canon can't.

dolgachov

« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2012, 07:46:47 PM »
all i really need from canon is 1Ds Mark 4 to replace my ages old Mark 3. i really love the usability of Canon, but 21Mp is way too low resolution, so i'm forced to use H4D as a main camera and old 1Ds as a second one.

please bring me 28-36 Mp 1Ds with decent ISO range and i don't care if it will cost another 10.000 USD.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2012, 07:46:47 PM »

SJTstudios

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2012, 09:58:22 PM »
How many people are there who actually need 8FPS in a 40MP camera?

A lot would love it, but it wouldn't work. A processor that could do that is way beyond our limits.
It will be more like 4. Because if you did an 8 fps burst, it would start buffering after about 2 seconds.

Bengt Nyman

• PowerShot G16
  • 5DI, 5DII
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2012, 04:38:52 AM »
Just curious why Nikon can do it but Canon can't.
Hi bdunbar 79
Why do you say that Canon can't ? Maybe I didn't understand your question.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 11:39:28 AM by Bengt Nyman »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2012, 04:38:52 AM »