July 22, 2014, 01:48:35 PM

Author Topic: Black specks on 5D Mark III  (Read 6177 times)

khv3412

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
Black specks on 5D Mark III
« on: September 01, 2012, 01:15:15 PM »
Look through the viewfinder, I see 4 black specks. Had Canon store to clean the sensor but the specks still there. They said sensor is clean & nothing effect the images. Do I need to send it to Canon Service for cleaning? My camera still underwarranty. It is free for first cleaning. Any one have suggestion? thanks.

canon rumors FORUM

Black specks on 5D Mark III
« on: September 01, 2012, 01:15:15 PM »

drjlo

• 6D
    • View Profile
Re: Black specks on 5D Mark III
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 02:39:58 PM »
If the specks dont' show up on photos and the sensor's clean, it's likely dust on the focus screen, in front of the pentaprism.  Unless the dust specks REALLY bother you, try to ignore them.  If you are OCD, do NOT try to clean it with anything other than dedicated focus screen cleaning product/swabs such as:
http://visibledust.com/products3.php?pid=410

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 05:56:33 PM »
Try blowing it out with a rocket blower.  That took care of the focus screen dust that came as a free accessory with my 1D X.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Ewinter

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 08:53:45 PM »
+1 for the rocket blower

Ophthaltographer

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 10:50:04 PM »
If the specks dont' show up on photos and the sensor's clean, it's likely dust on the focus screen, in front of the pentaprism.  Unless the dust specks REALLY bother you, try to ignore them.  If you are OCD, do NOT try to clean it with anything other than dedicated focus screen cleaning product/swabs such as:

I used a Q-tip and lens cleaning fluid on my 5D3.  Are you saying the focus screen can easily be damaged?
5D III, 16-35 L II, 24-70 L II, 70-300 L, 85 1.8, P.S. S100

spinworkxroy

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 11:52:17 PM »
Sometimes it's not on the focus screen but inside the viewfinder which is impossible to diy clean. I too have a speck in my mk3.. i even tried using the compressed air to shoot into the sensor! Yes I'm not supposed to do that but I've done that on all my cameras hehe...didn't help one bit..so i gave up..

drjlo

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 12:04:28 AM »

I used a Q-tip and lens cleaning fluid on my 5D3.  Are you saying the focus screen can easily be damaged?

The focus screen is somewhat soft plastic with fine grooves on the surface, which is much easier to scratch and/or leave swirl marks.  if Q-tip with lens cleaning fluid was used lightly, it should be OK, but if one was really trying to remove a tough speck by pressing harder, it would leave marks. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 12:04:28 AM »

Cannon Man

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 12:53:23 AM »
I just got some new black specks in the viewfinder last weekend and i bought a new focusing screen and they all went away.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 03:22:16 AM »
I just got some new black specks in the viewfinder last weekend and i bought a new focusing screen and they all went away.

FWIW, Canon does not consider the focus screen on a 5DIII to be a user-replaceable part.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Ophthaltographer

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 10:21:19 AM »

The focus screen is somewhat soft plastic with fine grooves on the surface, which is much easier to scratch and/or leave swirl marks.  if Q-tip with lens cleaning fluid was used lightly, it should be OK, but if one was really trying to remove a tough speck by pressing harder, it would leave marks.

As it turned out the Rocket Blower did the trick and the Q-tip/lens fluid was a waste of time.  But how do you folks feel about cleaning the 5D3 sensor with first the Rocket Blower followed up with a Lens Pen if need be?
5D III, 16-35 L II, 24-70 L II, 70-300 L, 85 1.8, P.S. S100

victorwol

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, 12:09:11 PM »

As it turned out the Rocket Blower did the trick and the Q-tip/lens fluid was a waste of time.  But how do you folks feel about cleaning the 5D3 sensor with first the Rocket Blower followed up with a Lens Pen if need be?

I would not dare touching a sensor with a lens pen... its abrasive... I just posted something here about cleaning.

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=9112.0
1D X - 5D MKIII - 7D - 24 f1.4L - 8-15 L - 50 1.2L - 85 1.2L - 15 2.8 - 16-35 2.8L - 24-105 4.0L - 70-200 2.8 LII - 24 TSE - 45 TSE - 90 TSE - MPE 65 - 180 f3.5L - 100 2.8L II - 580EX and a few Einsteins.

Act444

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 12:43:14 PM »
I've got a couple specks on my 60D viewfinder and tried cleaning the eyepiece to no avail. Must have gotten inside...oh well. It's mainly only visible in bright light (outside sun) but at least it doesn't show up in pics. Still, if anyone knows an easy way to clean, I'd be all ears...

Cannon Man

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 01:15:26 PM »

FWIW, Canon does not consider the focus screen on a 5DIII to be a user-replaceable part.

Sorry, i was talking about my 1D Mark IV. I didn't know they are not user replaceable in 5D III.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 01:15:26 PM »

Richard Lane

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2012, 02:54:09 PM »
Look through the viewfinder, I see 4 black specks. Had Canon store to clean the sensor but the specks still there. They said sensor is clean & nothing effect the images. Do I need to send it to Canon Service for cleaning? My camera still underwarranty. It is free for first cleaning. Any one have suggestion? thanks.

The VF is dirty, it doesn't affect the images however it bothers the heck out of me, so I would send it back to Canon for a cleaning  since it's still under warranty, especially if you have a back-up camera.  You have to be very careful with these new electronic viewfinders (7D, 5DIII, 1DX), since they scratch very easily!

Rich

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2012, 02:54:09 PM »