August 21, 2014, 07:58:33 PM

Author Topic: 7D Firmware 1.2.5 Posted Again  (Read 19093 times)

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: 7D Firmware 1.2.5 Posted Again
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2011, 11:35:29 AM »
I keep seeing this 7d issues on teh net and worried if buying the canon 7d is the right thing to do.  THanks..

You keep reading that, 'eh?  Does your Nikon D90 have AF issues?  If you believe the internet, your current camera is more likely to have AF problems than the 7D.  A Google search for "Nikon D90 AF issues" yields over 3 million hits, whereas searching "Canon 7D AF issues" pulls up half as many pages (1.5 million). 

The 7D's AF system is excellent, and not known to have 'issues' despite what you've apparently read.

My refurb 7D arrived last Friday, and I took it to a night time local small town rodeo Saturday.  I was pretty pleased by the AF performance, I also have a 1D MK III, but wanted something lighter and more portable.  I found the low light high ISO to be poorer than I had hoped for, but its not far off the 1d MK III.

I'll post some images once I cull out the 1000 or more.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2011, 11:35:29 AM »

PXL_Pusher

« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2011, 12:36:52 PM »
I keep seeing this 7d issues on teh net and worried if buying the canon 7d is the right thing to do.  THanks..

You keep reading that, 'eh?  Does your Nikon D90 have AF issues?  If you believe the internet, your current camera is more likely to have AF problems than the 7D.  A Google search for "Nikon D90 AF issues" yields over 3 million hits, whereas searching "Canon 7D AF issues" pulls up half as many pages (1.5 million). 

The 7D's AF system is excellent, and not known to have 'issues' despite what you've apparently read.

I'm going to have to second that. In my real world experience with my 7D the AF actually performs very well. Although it is affected by what lens is used and the amount of light you are working with (as one can expect).

It might seem like cliche' advice, but you can't just base the purchase of a piece of equipment solely on online reviews (unless it's a trusted source. Otherwise, you could encounter mis-informed reviews based on user error...etc.). Your best bet is to rent the equipment or otherwise get your hands dirty with it and see how it suits your shooting style and all that good stuff. Even if it's a matter of making a trip to your local camera shop and picking it up and taking a few shots with it. In my case, that's all it took and I sold off my 50D and made the upgrade to the 7D. It was a great (and the right) decision for me and my current shooting needs.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2011, 12:36:52 PM »