Gear Talk > EOS Bodies - For Video

Grinding sound with the T3i

<< < (2/3) > >>

aerocanon:
I believe you're referring to the AGC- Automatic Gain Control. You can install Magic Lantern on your T3i to (among other things) change the AGC to Manual, or you can buy a microphone which can be attached through the camera's 3.5mm microphone jack (consider the Rode VideoMic or the Rode VideoMic Pro). Besides for removing the annoying hiss, it will greatly improve your audio quality. You can also clean up the sound using software such as the Denoiser effect in Adobe Premiere Pro.

sama:

--- Quote from: aerocanon on September 04, 2012, 09:58:04 PM ---I believe you're referring to the AGC- Automatic Gain Control. You can install Magic Lantern on your T3i to (among other things) change the AGC to Manual, or you can buy a microphone which can be attached through the camera's 3.5mm microphone jack (consider the Rode VideoMic or the Rode VideoMic Pro). Besides for removing the annoying hiss, it will greatly improve your audio quality. You can also clean up the sound using software such as the Denoiser effect in Adobe Premiere Pro.

--- End quote ---

According to the ML user guide : " The 600D/T3i already has manual audio control, but right now it's not possible to change audio settings from Magic Lantern. You can only use audio meters during recording. "

JasonATL:

--- Quote from: paul13walnut5 on September 04, 2012, 08:07:23 PM ---Auto sound levels will vastly amplify the sound on the recording in a quiet environment, but in reality you should barely hear the iris operate.

--- End quote ---

Agreed that a clip will help. I suspect it is the aperature changing. As Paul states, that is the only mechanical action left. I disagree that you would barely hear the iris operate. I certainly have some lenses where this could be characterized as a grinding sound. My Zeiss 85mm is quite loud when changing aperature. Indeed, it makes a grinding sound. But, I never use auto exposure while shooting video (and don't recommend using auto exposure for video). If this is the grinding sound, then you'll easily get rid of it by using manual exposure.

And, yes. You can set the 600D/T3i's audio manually without Magic Lantern.

aerocanon:
I'm sorry if I wasn't clear in my last post, but I did not say anything about audio level control. Yes, the audio is manual but without ML, the Gain Control is NOT.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_gain_control

The first paragraph explains it.

paul13walnut5:
Sorry what are you saying?  It reads as if you are saying that even if the camera is set to manual audio levels there is still automatic gain?

This is not my understanding.  Do you know if the manual levels are a control of amplification or a measure of attenuation?  I would hope they were a control of amplification, otherwise the noise will be there at all signal levels, which again, is not my experience.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version