July 28, 2014, 09:59:42 AM

Author Topic: Lens align pro or Spyder lenscal  (Read 11351 times)

nismohks

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Re: Lens align pro or Spyder lenscal
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2012, 08:28:56 PM »
lots of great info here!

would the Plus version allow for multiple focal length testing for each lens?

Im just deciding between the Plus and Pro, but decided that i dont really need any of the benefits afforded by the Pro. The most important thing for me is that as long as i can test the AFMA at multiple focal ranges of each lens (as mentioned by several users above) then that would be the choice for me.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2012, 08:28:56 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2012, 08:50:41 PM »
You set the focal length for zooms, and you pick the distance.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

kaihp

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2012, 09:04:17 PM »
No more walking back and forth!
I still have to walk/move between the tripod and the laptop screen when aligning the target. I'm colorblind and the on-screen markers are nigh impossible for me to see even 3' away. I've fed back to FoCal to add more color/saturation/contrast to make the markers more visible from the distance. Also bigger AFMA numbers for when using the semi-manual mode with the 5D3 (and 1Dx).

What kind of peak QoF figure do you guys get, and how narrow is the peak around the max QoF?
My peaks are quite flat and with my5D3 and the 70-200/2.8L IS Mk I I get around 1000 @ 6meters and 1300 @ 2meters.

Phenix205

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2012, 10:41:32 PM »
I would recommend FoCal Pro. I've been getting inconsistent results for some of the older lenses such as 28-70 and 50 1.4. Following Neuro's recommendations, I've been testing all lenses at 25x and 50x focal length. In real life shooting, it may not make too much difference if you are within +/- 10.
5D3 | M | 1v
70-200 II | 24-70 II | 16-35 IS | 100 L | 85L II | 40 | 600EX-RT

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2012, 11:01:59 PM »
I've been testing all lenses at 25x and 50x focal length. In real life shooting, it may not make too much difference if you are within +/- 10.

If you mean within +/- 10x of focal length distance, probably true.

If you mean within +/- 10 AFMA units, I'd expect that to make a difference in many situations, either shooting wide open or with close subjects.  One unit is 1/8 the depth of focus at max aperture, so a 10-unit difference is substantial.  A 1-2 unit difference can be noticeable with an f/1.2 or f/1.4 prime, on average, but any given shot will vary a little too, probably in a similar range.  A 3-4 unit difference with an f/4 or f/5.6 lens is probably not too noticeable.

kaihp

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2012, 11:57:39 PM »
If you mean within +/- 10 AFMA units, I'd expect that to make a difference in many situations, either shooting wide open or with close subjects.
Shooting at f/2.8 on 2 meters distance, being 5 AFMA units just spoils the image because the focus is not where you want it like the attached a 50% crop where focus is not on the eye, but on the body of the duck.

hoghavemercy

« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2012, 04:31:40 PM »
I've been testing all lenses at 25x and 50x focal length. In real life shooting, it may not make too much difference if you are within +/- 10.

If you mean within +/- 10x of focal length distance, probably true.

If you mean within +/- 10 AFMA units, I'd expect that to make a difference in many situations, either shooting wide open or with close subjects.  One unit is 1/8 the depth of focus at max aperture, so a 10-unit difference is substantial.  A 1-2 unit difference can be noticeable with an f/1.2 or f/1.4 prime, on average, but any given shot will vary a little too, probably in a similar range.  A 3-4 unit difference with an f/4 or f/5.6 lens is probably not too noticeable.

why would it compute on a suggested number when other AFMA scored higher, eg AFMA=3 1645 AfMA=4 1605 AFMA=5 1637 and it picks 4 about 6 to 8 ft from the chart it's pretty accurate but just concern if that's a problem, on the 5DIII it's manual only just wondering if there's a patch or an update.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2012, 04:31:40 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2012, 06:24:39 PM »
why would it compute on a suggested number when other AFMA scored higher, eg AFMA=3 1645 AfMA=4 1605 AFMA=5 1637 and it picks 4 about 6 to 8 ft from the chart it's pretty accurate but just concern if that's a problem, on the 5DIII it's manual only just wondering if there's a patch or an update.

Because its fitting a curve based on multiple measurements over a wider range, which is a better approach than using the single highest measurement.  There is variability in the AF system, slight differences each time you refocus on the same point. The curve fitting helps pick the best value despite that variability. 

hoghavemercy

« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2012, 02:53:02 PM »

Because its fitting a curve based on multiple measurements over a wider range, which is a better approach than using the single highest measurement.  There is variability in the AF system, slight differences each time you refocus on the same point. The curve fitting helps pick the best value despite that variability.

Thanks for that. I'm learning something new everyday.

Andy Jazz

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2012, 12:14:23 PM »
Just a quick question. When I have calibrated the centre af point on my 1dx should all the Af points be correct?As they all forward focus.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2012, 12:22:20 PM »
Just a quick question. When I have calibrated the centre af point on my 1dx should all the Af points be correct?As they all forward focus.

In theory, yes. But FoCal can actually test them all to confirm...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2012, 12:22:20 PM »