December 17, 2017, 01:34:43 AM

Author Topic: 3D and 5D3 rumors at Northlight images say: No 5D3 until next summer?  (Read 14374 times)

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • EOS 5DS R
Re: 3D and 5D3 rumors at Northlight images say: No 5D3 until next summer?
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2011, 08:34:51 PM »
Frankly speaking, I only consider using Canon and Nikon DSRLs. I never consider other brands.

So how about you?

That was true in the past, but the future might be different. Sony sales are looking very positive. Even their lens selection is improving.

The SLT technology have it's own advantages and disadvantages. It might be that Sony will never manage to completely remove the SLT disadvantages, and traditional SLR will remain the preferred technology, but what if they manage ? Is Canon doing something on this route or they will be wrong footed ?

The past problem with Sony has been with their sales and management of the camera business, they acquired Minolta and a top team of designers, and with it the capability to be a player equal to Canon and Nikon, but always seem to shoot theirselves in the foot due to mismanagement.

I sense that Sony now has someone in charge of the DSLR's who is doing a much better job of managing the huge capability that Sony has.  I don't know if this is someone different, or just someone who has acquired more leverage in getting a larger piece of the R&D budget.  Nikon and Canon have been looking over their shoulder for a couple of years now, wondering if / when Sony will decide they really want a big piece of the pie.

For consumers, this is good.  Big companies competiting and spending money on innovation will mean more competition, and that is always better for the consumer.  it tends to produce improved products as well as to push prices lower.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2011, 08:34:51 PM »

zerotiu

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2011, 10:22:59 PM »

For consumers, this is good.  Big companies competiting and spending money on innovation will mean more competition, and that is always better for the consumer.  it tends to produce improved products as well as to push prices lower.

Lowering the price means other brands have equal product in the same level (I don't know if this one is one of the reasons or not). I mean, can they (other brands) catch up with canon and nikon DSLRs?

but after I think your comment for a while, I hope they can  :D. So DSLRs will be cheaper.

Again, do you think they protect one another by making price agreement??

motorhead

• EOS 80D
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2011, 05:16:37 AM »
The problem with spending all your time looking over your shoulder, as many of us have learnt to our cost, is that you fail to make any progress yourself.

Worrying about what Sony "might" do seems the wrong way to deal with them. Canon and Nikon have enough to do producing ever better cameras and lenses and should stick to their own dSLR knitting. Sony still seem very unsure about what direction to take the camera side of the business as I've just read in AP of their withdrawal of two* dSLR models only introduced last year which obviously failed to take off.

*correction, I've just reread the news item on AP's site. Make that three. the Alpha's 850, 290 and 390.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 05:59:58 AM by motorhead »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2011, 05:16:37 AM »