December 20, 2014, 04:15:08 PM

Author Topic: Is it a good time to buy a 7D/5DM2?  (Read 7281 times)

phoenix

Is it a good time to buy a 7D/5DM2?
« on: April 30, 2011, 10:21:29 PM »
With all these news coming out saying 7M2 or 5DM3 is coming out around the corner. Even if it comes out, it would be months or half a year away and then the first batch are usually the defected/testing cameras. You may have to wait another 6 months and see reviews for it. So maybe this process takes a year or so. Is it worth it? Should I go with a 7D2 or 5DM3? I know the prices are quite in fact high right now but I just don't know how long would these prices be and especially, summer is around and you need a DSLR to play around with? I was just hoping what are you feedbacks to this. How should I plan this out.

canon rumors FORUM

Is it a good time to buy a 7D/5DM2?
« on: April 30, 2011, 10:21:29 PM »

mogud

Re: Is it a good time to buy a 7D/5DM2?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 11:15:24 PM »
The 5d3 is expected this fall with availability sometime early 2012.  So the rumors say.  No one knows and the actual date is only known by Canon.  Everything else is purely speculation given all the events in Japan. 

The 7d2 question hasn't been posted here for a little while which is surprising.  At one time, this question seemed to be asked every week.  Given the upgrade cycle, an upgraded 7d could be announced in late fall of 2012 with availability in q1/q2 of 2013.  Of the two, the 7d2 is way more vaporware than the 5d3.

What exactly do you want the 7d2 to do that the current version does not?  I own the 7d and enjoy the camera in its current configuration.  Expanded ISO and dymnamic range would be nice, but post processing seems to work fine for anything in the high ISO range for me.  Better video...I don't use video and if I did, I'd probably get a video specific camera.  Should you wait, I don't think so.  Get either and shoot some pictures and enjoy either camera.  BTW, what are you currently shooting with?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 11:18:30 PM by mogud »

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 11:23:36 PM »

I'm with Fabienne on this one.

Any time of the day is a good time for pie.
You're offended? Oh, really! Life IS offense -- get used to it.

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 12:06:31 AM »
With all these news coming out saying 7M2 or 5DM3 is coming out around the corner. Even if it comes out, it would be months or half a year away and then the first batch are usually the defected/testing cameras. You may have to wait another 6 months and see reviews for it. So maybe this process takes a year or so. Is it worth it? Should I go with a 7D2 or 5DM3? I know the prices are quite in fact high right now but I just don't know how long would these prices be and especially, summer is around and you need a DSLR to play around with? I was just hoping what are you feedbacks to this. How should I plan this out.

I ordered my 5D MK II the day it was announced, and its been perfect.  sure, there were bug fixes, but none of them ever bothered me.

I expect that you will not be able to get a 5D MK II in a couple of months, Canon is not going to be able to keep up with demand.  They are manufacturing 3 days a week, but another aftershok might change that.  If you need a camera, get one, if not, wait for a year or so for the next model.  there is always a new model under development.

epsiloneri

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 03:28:36 AM »
I don't find much wanting in the 7D (except it's not FF!), the current 5D2 on the other hand has some obvious annoyances that would be awesome (and relatively easy) to have fixed: pattern noise (would improve dynamic range dramatically), speed (the 7D feels much snappier), better weather sealing, AF (hasn't been a problem for me). Just check the many dedicated threads on the topic.

K3nt

• Canon 70D
  • "No good photo goes unnoticed!"
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 12:36:51 AM »
Get the 7D and don't worry too much about it. It has enough bells and whistles to keep you busy for quite some time.. I'm just getting used to mine and I'm still able to get some nice pics.  :D ;)

I might be going for the 5dMKIII when it comes but I'm in no hurry (and I won't be getting rid of the 7D). I don't think Canon will be updating the 7D just yet. Ok, Digic V would be nice but I don't think they will force it to market just for that. The next gen 7D will have to change more than that to be worth the upgrade.
Flickr

Canon EOS 7D * 10-22mm EF-S * 50mm f/1.4 * 70-20mm f/2.8L IS USM MkII * Nissin 866Di MkII * 430EXII + accessories

gene_can_sing

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 01:21:40 AM »
I would personally wait. It's obvious that a 5D3 is coming fairly soon.

Plus, if everyone stops buying the 5D2, it will just push Canon to release it that much sooner.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 01:21:40 AM »

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 08:30:43 AM »

Just my personal opinion (based on watching prices the last 7 months) is that the a 7D2 won't have anything (whenever it may come out) that would be a deal breaker for picking one up now, but the prices are high.  $1500-$1600 for the body feels reasonable, but stock is low for now.  Probably won't see it come around for the end of the summer.

The 5DIII everyone says 'soon', but is that June soon, or "EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM" 'soon' (don't hold your breath).

Now, if you're planning on paying 5D3 cash, I'd say (again my opinion) find a deal on a T1i/T2i/T3i that is too good to pass up, and only pick up EF lenses that you plan on using on a 5D --- you'll either have a backup (or a loaner if you REALLY like your relatives) camera or be able to sell it, and the drop in price will be worth it's weight in rental fees.

I have a 60D that I really like, and, aside from faster FPS, the only thing I find I'd like out of the 7D is a full viewfinder instead of the 96% (going off memory there) coverage.  So that may be an alternative consideration if you want to leave yourself open for better pricing.

Good luck.
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 09:12:57 AM »
With all these news coming out saying 7M2 or 5DM3 is coming out around the corner...maybe this process takes a year or so. I know the prices are quite in fact high right now but I just don't know how long would these prices be and especially, summer is around and you need a DSLR to play around with? I was just hoping what are you feedbacks to this. How should I plan this out.

A year...at least.  Even if a 5DIII is announced later this year, it might not be available until next year.

Some chip makers in the affected areas in Japan have stated they don't even expect to restart production until June, and even then at a fraction of full capacity.  Rolling blackouts continue.  I'd expect prices to be high at least through the end of summer.  Prices on most bodies and lenses have risen to MSRP over the last couple of months.  If stock levels remain low, it's likely that prices will go above MSRP (for example, the 7D at Adorama - a large and reputable US dealer - is currently $150 over MSRP). 

Point is, prices high now, and are likely to go up further before they go down.  Even after supplies return to 'normal' retailers will likely maintain higher prices for a while (both to squeeze out extra profit and to make up for shortfalls during restricted supplies).

If you have a camera that you're happy with, fine.  If not, you'll miss out on a lot of pictures if you wait.  I always recommend: "If you need/want it now, and you can afford it, get it now."  It's hard to take pictures with an unreleased/unavailable camera or lens...
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 09:12:57 AM »