September 23, 2014, 06:57:00 PM

Author Topic: Used 1Ds Mk iii vs New 5d Mk ii...  (Read 3448 times)

danski0224

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Some of my Work in Progress
Used 1Ds Mk iii vs New 5d Mk ii...
« on: May 01, 2011, 04:10:05 PM »
The video part isn't important to me... I'll just get that out of the way first.

A new 1Ds is out of the question, and it is at the end/near the end of the product cycle. I do not see the next 1Ds being any less expensive.

I do not see the next 5D being less expensive, either. Used ones are commanding close to new prices.

A used 1Ds >$4k USD is also a bit on the rich side, and still a significant portion of new.

At what $$$ point is it considered "reasonable"? Opinions on the ability to retain value for a few more years?

Given the aging of the technology... and the similarities, sensor wise, between the 1Ds and the 5Dii. I understand that they are not the same thing.
Some of my Work in Progress..... www.dftimages.com

canon rumors FORUM

Used 1Ds Mk iii vs New 5d Mk ii...
« on: May 01, 2011, 04:10:05 PM »

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: Used 1Ds Mk iii vs New 5d Mk ii...
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 06:31:08 PM »
You can buy two used 5D MK II's for the price of a used 1Ds MK III.  The images will be almost identical, only the build and AF / Shutter are the different things that matter.

If you need to use your camera under difficult conditiond, rain, cold, or dust, you might prefer the 1Ds, for the average wedding shooter, having two 5D MK II's would be best, or, if you already have a backup, pocket the $$ or buy a new lens.

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Used 1Ds Mk iii vs New 5d Mk ii...
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 06:31:08 PM »