August 28, 2014, 09:08:15 AM

Author Topic: 70-200 F/4 IS repair cost  (Read 5352 times)

Mappy

• Power Shot G16
  • *beep-beep*
    • View Profile
70-200 F/4 IS repair cost
« on: September 16, 2012, 02:40:40 PM »
Ouch! The focus system of my 70-200 F/4 IS was slipping (both in manual and auto), so I sent it in for repair: "600 euro to fix it". I'm almost doubting to get a new lens instead :-\

Just looking for moral support (guarantee period just ended a month before of course :(), and wondering if anybody else had this kind of repair.

Longer description: if I point the camera upward, it won't focus from distant to near, the focus group just slips. If I hold the camera pointing downwards everything works fine. Normal horizontal position will work sometimes.
*click*

canon rumors FORUM

70-200 F/4 IS repair cost
« on: September 16, 2012, 02:40:40 PM »

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
Re: 70-200 F/4 IS repair cost
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 03:30:53 PM »
Ouch! The focus system of my 70-200 F/4 IS was slipping (both in manual and auto), so I sent it in for repair: "600 euro to fix it". I'm almost doubting to get a new lens instead :-\

I know the shock you're in - and obviously for more expensive lenses Canon service charges even higher fees than for my old 100 non-L macro that broke down twice. My estimate is that they charge €200 just for disassembling the lens and picking up the screwdriver. €600 repair fee (w/o new warranty!) for a €1000 lens is really bordering on total loss ... obviously the service never tries a repair, but simply replaces everything that is remotely affected - might be indeed cheaper due to high technicians' fees. Knowing Tamron has 6 years warranty... well, we all like Canon, don't we?

What does the cost estimate say is wrong w/ the lens? If it isn't detailed ask them again what they propose to do exactly. If you are going to buy a new one there's always the option to try to repair it yourself or let someone gearhead friend give it a try, disassembling and reassembling the thing isn't that hard (see youtube on this).

Mappy

• Power Shot G16
  • *beep-beep*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 03:53:13 PM »
The list of things to do says:
FOCUS ASS'Y, USM
LENS ASS'Y, 3&4 GUIDE BARREL
COLLAR DECENTERIG REPLACE

And the written description was "need to replace an expensive part and takes a lot of time".

Taking a lens apart is doable, but keeping it dust-free when putting it back together (if you don't need replacement parts) is not so easy at home. So the options would be to have a lens for 600 euro, or have a toy/paperweight and a new lens with guarantee for 1000 euro...
*click*

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 04:39:08 PM »
So the options would be to have a lens for 600 euro, or have a toy/paperweight and a new lens with guarantee for 1000 euro...

Personally I went the upgrade way (in your case 70-200/2.8) when they wanted to repair my €450 lens for €250 for the second time. In your case self-repair doesn't seem to be an option due to the replacement of a component - so I can only give you my condolences and note for myself that buying expensive lenses might result in expensive repairs with Canon's short warranty :-(

preppyak

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 05:00:17 PM »
Doesn't help you now, but, this is why you should carry insurance on your gear. If my 70-200 has the same thing happen, the insurance company hands me a check for $1000 and I get a new one.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 05:10:19 PM »
The list of things to do says:
FOCUS ASS'Y, USM
LENS ASS'Y, 3&4 GUIDE BARREL
COLLAR DECENTERIG REPLACE

And the written description was "need to replace an expensive part and takes a lot of time".

Taking a lens apart is doable, but keeping it dust-free when putting it back together (if you don't need replacement parts) is not so easy at home. So the options would be to have a lens for 600 euro, or have a toy/paperweight and a new lens with guarantee for 1000 euro...

Canon lens assembly facilities do not have any special clean room, its pretty much like your home.  They might use dry nitrogen to blow out any dust, but I doubt it.  Getting dust in it is not a issue, but re-assembling it and adjusting the elements for decentering is a issue.
Sometimes you can come out ahead by selling it as-is on ebay to someone who needs it for parts, or can fix it for a few dollars.  Those expensive parts are not really all that expensive if you put in used ones.

Mappy

• Power Shot G16
  • *beep-beep*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 06:45:06 PM »
Doesn't help you now, but, this is why you should carry insurance on your gear. If my 70-200 has the same thing happen, the insurance company hands me a check for $1000 and I get a new one.
I wonder if insurances would not put this off as 'normal wear', which is usually excluded.

Sometimes you can come out ahead by selling it as-is on ebay to someone who needs it for parts, or can fix it for a few dollars.  Those expensive parts are not really all that expensive if you put in used ones.
Another good option. But I doubt I could sell it for 500 euro or more in this state :)
*click*

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 06:45:06 PM »

albron00

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 06:50:04 PM »
I've had the same problem with this lens: couldn't focus properly when pointing the lens up or down.
Got repaired two weeks before warranty ends.
They sent me the list of changed parts and the price I'd payed - 640 euros.
Crazy

paul13walnut5

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2012, 06:59:53 PM »
What was the warranty period?

Was it the maufacturers / dealers 1 year warranty or an extended warranty?

Is there evidence of dropping or physical abuse to lens?

If you paid with your credit card you may have two years warranty...check the small print.

Even if you don't or didn't, it doesn't sound to me like the lens has lasted a reasonable period given purchase price and specification.  In the EU you have additional consumer rights beyond the warranty, few folk are aggressive enough to pursue them, but they are there if you google.

If you bought grey or dropped it then you may be stuffed.

DB

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2012, 07:43:50 PM »
My 70-200mm f/4L IS  lens was making a lot of noise (2008 manufacture), so I off-loaded it for 850 euros in June. Anything consumer electronic will cost as much to fix as to replace (80-100 per hour for a technician + shop profit + taxes etc.)

Advertise it on eBay as working but possible faulty and you will get at least 450-500 for it. There are people out there (e.g. The LensDoctor etc.)who have a lot of experience in taking EF lenses apart and putting them back together again.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2012, 08:17:00 PM »

If you paid with your credit card you may have two years warranty...check the small print.

Even if you don't or didn't, it doesn't sound to me like the lens has lasted a reasonable period given purchase price and specification.  In the EU you have additional consumer rights beyond the warranty, few folk are aggressive enough to pursue them, but they are there if you google.

If you bought grey or dropped it then you may be stuffed.
+1 Good Advice.  (However, if its been dropped, they almost certainly can tell by the nature of the damage.)

Mappy

• Power Shot G16
  • *beep-beep*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 02:44:16 AM »

[...]
[...]
EU default 2 year warranty. Dealer has to provide the 2 years. I first contacted the dealer 2 years and 3 weeks after buying date >:(

The lens is without any external damage. The only thing dented is the figure of speech that these L-lenses are solid as a tank ;)

I'll look into the 'reasonable period' a bit more. Maybe I can get at least a discount out of it.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 08:40:32 AM by Mappy »
*click*

eve

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2012, 11:59:12 AM »
Preppy and others:  What company did you buy your lens insurance through?  Do you have to buy it at the time of purchase?  Am thinking of doing this as well.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2012, 11:59:12 AM »