August 28, 2014, 09:45:38 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 6D Official Specs  (Read 65205 times)

lopicma

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Google+ Page
Re: Canon EOS 6D Official Specs
« Reply #75 on: September 16, 2012, 11:21:48 PM »
Well... I think this camera sounds fine!  It isn't too spiffy, and it isn't a PoS either.  Now all we have to do is wait for the "shake down" to see what manufacturing problems crop up.  :(

This is on my short list anyway...  So many choices, so little money.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: September 16, 2012, 11:21:48 PM »

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 16, 2012, 11:22:14 PM »
Delay, quality issue, quick price drop (indication of overprice?), boring new product, .... Something is not right. I give two thumbs up to their lens department, but the 1DX and 5D3 might be the last two cameras that (arguably) beat their competitors if they let arrogance and lack of innovation take over.

Ah whatever, they will do what they will do. I was afraid of this already like half a decade ago.

As someone said at least they have released some utterly kick ass lenses the last few years.
If only their sensor and body division would act with the same drive and pride!

There's an image that i'm thinking of, that describes exactly what canon have become in the last few years, after the groundbreaking successes of the 1Ds and the 5D2 went to their heads...

« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 11:24:09 PM by dr croubie »
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

Ryan_W

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 16, 2012, 11:24:11 PM »
AFMA?

AutoFocus Micro Adjustment. It lets you tune the focus on lenses. http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/cameras/1ds3_af_micoadjustment.html

Thanks Ryan... but I was asking if the 6D had it not what it is.

Oh sorry. I mean, every XD camera they've put out in the past 4 years or so has had it, so here's hoping.

Noink Fanb0i

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 16, 2012, 11:25:25 PM »
Delay, quality issue, quick price drop (indication of overprice?), boring new product, .... Something is not right. I give two thumbs up to their lens department, but the 1DX and 5D3 might be the last two cameras that (arguably) beat their competitors if they let arrogance and lack of innovation take over.

Ah whatever, they will do what they will do. I was afraid of this already like half a decade ago.

As someone said at least they have released some utterly kick ass lenses the last few years.
If only their sensor and body division would act with the same drive and pride!

There's an image that i'm thinking of, that describes exactly what canon have become in the last few years, after the groundbreaking successes of the 1Ds and the 5D2 went to their heads...

Also reminds me of the latest "new release" from a certain fruity company. Overpriced and under-spec'ed.  ::)
T3 is the bobn2 of Canon fanb0is.

Musouka

« Reply #79 on: September 16, 2012, 11:25:41 PM »
At least the Maximum shutter speed is 1/8000  ;D

mitch.o

« Reply #80 on: September 16, 2012, 11:26:02 PM »
I think we should withhold judgement until we see IQ and noise control from this 20.2 megapixel sensor. Because in the end, isn't that what really matters?

Let's say it's stellar IQ... as good as the 5D3 (it won't be better, Canon's not going to put their best in a 6D and second best in the 5D3).   Then so what?  It's a great sensor in a hobbled body for $2k... who's buying it?

The price gap is too large to entice an average consumer up from the Rebel line.  And the features are not up to spec for working pros.   There is no question that it's an entry level FF... but what are the features (other than the sensor) that make this better than a 60D?  And if the only benefit over a 60D is the sensor... then how many customers are going to pay that much more for a FF sensor when the vast majority of Rebel customers don't even know the difference.

Guy walks into Best Buy to buy a Canon DSLR.   Salesperson shows him a 60D for $900 and a 6D for $2000.  Same body and specs but 6D is FF... what's the customer going to buy?  Is the salesperson going to be able to explain the benefits of FF... many of the salespeople probably don't even know themselves.

Sure there are many folks on CR reading this right now salivating that they can get a FF camera for $2k.... but nobody on here is an average consumer... we are all camera enthusiasts reading up daily on how great FF is... so the person this is targeted for is a person that is lusting after FF, is unwilling/unable to pay $3500 for a 5D3, and doesn't need the AF and speed of a 7D.  How big is that market?

So I guess the solution is the sales guys step it up and sell the B----. And you know they will because... they're salesmen (and women. I'm not sexist).

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 16, 2012, 11:26:51 PM »
AFMA?
Hmmm, no mention of AFMA in the specs...yet another (canon)ball dropped  ???

I'm not sure if it's necessarily a ball dropped but rather a clear separation from the 5D3 and a clear positioning of this body as a consumer upgrade from the Rebel line.   But this is what I've been saying elsewhere... who exactly is this body meant for and if it is solely an upgrade from the Rebel line then how many are going to pay the $1200 extra for FF when most Rebel users don't even know what FF is.  I know lot's of people with Rebels (who take nice pictures mind you) and don't understand the difference between their Rebel and their iPhone.  They know the Rebel takes better pictures but they don't know why.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 11:28:54 PM by Meh »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: September 16, 2012, 11:26:51 PM »

Noink Fanb0i

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 16, 2012, 11:26:59 PM »
At least the Maximum shutter speed is 1/8000  ;D

I'd trade that for a 100% VF and a 1Dx-class VF blackout time and shutter release lag time any day! See D600/D800 specs.
T3 is the bobn2 of Canon fanb0is.

justsomedude

• 7D
  • Canon 5D3 and 6D
    • View Profile
    • AK Photo - Denver Photographer
« Reply #83 on: September 16, 2012, 11:29:56 PM »
I think we should withhold judgement until we see IQ and noise control from this 20.2 megapixel sensor. Because in the end, isn't that what really matters?

Let's say it's stellar IQ... as good as the 5D3 (it won't be better, Canon's not going to put their best in a 6D and second best in the 5D3).   Then so what?  It's a great sensor in a hobbled body for $2k... who's buying it?

The price gap is too large to entice an average consumer up from the Rebel line.  And the features are not up to spec for working pros.   There is no question that it's an entry level FF... but what are the features (other than the sensor) that make this better than a 60D?  And if the only benefit over a 60D is the sensor... then how many customers are going to pay that much more for a FF sensor when the vast majority of Rebel customers don't even know the difference.

Guy walks into Best Buy to buy a Canon DSLR.   Salesperson shows him a 60D for $900 and a 6D for $2000.  Same body and specs but 6D is FF... what's the customer going to buy?  Is the salesperson going to be able to explain the benefits of FF... many of the salespeople probably don't even know themselves.

Sure there are many folks on CR reading this right now salivating that they can get a FF camera for $2k.... but nobody on here is an average consumer... we are all camera enthusiasts reading up daily on how great FF is... so the person this is targeted for is a person that is lusting after FF, is unwilling/unable to pay $3500 for a 5D3, and doesn't need the AF and speed of a 7D.  How big is that market?

I disagree on your assessment of this body.  While I agree many people are underwhelmed by this offering, let's keep in mind that Canon is still in "catch up mode", trying to deal with how it will respond to the D800.  This was likely in the pipeline long before some high MP body was conceived, and I think it fits in to the Canon lineup quite nicely.

That said, I think this body has a place in the toolbox for many working pros.  I, for one, would much rather have an affordable full-frame back-up body for events/weddings.  Don't get me wrong, the 7D has worked as a solid back-up for me thus far, but it has left a lot to be desired in the realm of low-light situations where AF and noise management are critical.

With the ISOs and (most likely) reduced noise over the crop-sensor of the 60D, this will become a go-to back up for budget conscious pros.  I think it will be immensely popular with pros, and enthusiasts who are just looking for a little "more."

prjkt

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 16, 2012, 11:30:37 PM »
this camera is seriously tempting me, maybe because I'm in a minority group - my current kit consists of the 600D & 450D bodies, with the following lenses:
EF 28mm 2.8
EF 40mm 2.8
EF 50mm 1.8
Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC
Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS
Tokina 11-16 2.8
along with the 580EX II and 600EX-RT Speedlights

with the exception of the last lens (which I usually only use on my "backup" body if I'm using two at once) they're all FF compatible.

Most of my work is social photography - nightclubs parties etc, with a bit of landscape and portraiture here and there, so the AF system doesn't worry me.
Small boost in MP, again, doesn't phase me - probably a downside considering the number of shots I take per gig...
SD media - perfect, I've got 8 or so cards floating around here
No built in flash - primary downside for me, considering I do a bit of off camera flash triggered by my 600D, but then if I get the Speedlite 90EX with the EOS M I'm also considering for my gf, that does flash triggering too...
Wireless - cool, will work well with my current system using an Eye-Fi in the 600D
Non-articulated LCD - oh well, can't have everything I want - does come in handy sometimes

if it's priced around the AU$2k mark, I'll probably grab one - working at one of the biggest camera retailers in the country has it's advantages if I want to borrow one to test out, or get a slight discount on....
6D/600D/Tokina 11-16 2.8/Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC/Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS/EF 28mm 2.8/EF 40mm 2.8/EF 50mm 1.8

RC

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 16, 2012, 11:31:49 PM »
AFMA?
Hmmm, no mention of AFMA in the specs...yet another (canon)ball dropped  ???

I highly doubt they will add AFMA because it seems they are clearing marketing it towards the consumer crowd. 

To them the touchy screen is more important that this A. F. M. A. thingy.  Who needs AFMA when you could have a touchy screen?

Wilmark

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Wilmark Johnatty Photography
« Reply #86 on: September 16, 2012, 11:33:02 PM »
Something tells me that this camera has plastic in the body maybe like the 60D. The weight is a little low. Esp considering that it has wifi and GPS. I suspect that the GPS will not be up to the GP-E2 standard and more like those found in phones. I have used the GP-E2 and I am impressed with accuracy and performance in general. There is a problem in putting GPS inside a metal body and maybe to some extent the WiFi. This kind of impresses me as a rebel FF camera especially with the touch screen.

Woody

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 16, 2012, 11:33:14 PM »

IF (low chance though) its IQ is BETTER than the 5D3, people may buy it. That was what happened with the Canon Rebel 300D vs Nikon D70/D100.

But products do not exist in vacuum, the D600 is priced identically with far better specs. In this regard, the 6D may be the next major flop like the 1000D (when the sales of the latter is compared to the Nikon D3000).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: September 16, 2012, 11:33:14 PM »

mitch.o

« Reply #88 on: September 16, 2012, 11:33:41 PM »
I'm starting to realize that the average consumer (and even the average armature photographers) knows next to nothing about Crop/Full Frame benefits. For example, today I was explaining to my friend how the new D600 is different than his D7000 (yes he shoots with Nikon... so I guess he's just my acquaintance). And after 10 minutes of sorting through jargon and drawing him some diagrams on the back of a napkin, he still didn't understand the advantage of having a full frame. For him it just made more sense to stick to his trusty crop sensor. And if this rings true for a lot of other consumers, both Nikon AND Canon should have an equally hard time selling these spiffy new FF bodies.

limelight

« Reply #89 on: September 16, 2012, 11:34:41 PM »
As a 7D owner who was looking to upgrade to FF - I'm not impressed with the 6D specs. I had hoped for more from the 6D, so my move to FF will be to a 5D2. The 5D2 is a tried and proven FF performer that I can acquire for less money with more resolution and enough features for my needs. Between the 7D and the 5D2, I have all the performance and capability I need for the next couple of years. Given the pace of change and innovation, who knows what i will get to choose from in a couple of years. In the meantime, I will have two great systems to work with as I continue my photographic journey!   

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: September 16, 2012, 11:34:41 PM »