October 23, 2014, 09:27:20 AM

Author Topic: Value for your money - has this ever been uttered by Canon ?  (Read 3502 times)

crasher8

Re: Value for your money - has this ever been uttered by Canon ?
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2012, 06:57:54 PM »
After spending 24 hours with my new 5D3 I honestly think it is a value at $3400. WOW

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2012, 06:57:54 PM »

Hillsilly

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2012, 07:30:40 PM »
Not sure where the premise is coming from.  Are a lot of Canon products expensive?  Yes.  Do they represent value?  A difficult question to answer.  But Canon cameras and lenses don't seem overpriced compared to the competition.  In fact, many things are cheaper (and yet still better) than comparable competitor products.  And given that several camera manufacturers are struggling with profitability, its difficult to argue there is a lot of price gouging or fixing going on.  But I'd agree that Canon can sometimes be "tricky" with some of their prices especially when they perceive high demand (eg 5Diii), but I think that helps them offer other things more competitively.

With EF-S lenses, some such as the 10-22 sell second hand with only a small drop in value.  Cheap, basic kit lenses don't retain their value (and arguably never have).  Its not because they are "bad" lenses.  Its simple supply and demand.  People are buying second hand because they want a better-than-a-kit-lens lens.  Quality lenses and cameras retain their value.  The only time when you do see significant drops in value is when a mount becomes orphaned - eg Minolta MC/MD.  But even recently, there has been an increase in a prices, which has possible been driven by their compatability with mirrorless cameras. 
1000FN | 7E | 3000 | 3 | LS-100TS

Zlatko

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2012, 08:13:29 PM »
After spending 24 hours with my new 5D3 I honestly think it is a value at $3400. WOW
I agree.  It is essentially a 1D-series camera in a smaller body and with a smaller price.  It is exactly what many photographers requested:  a digital version of Canon's top-of-the-line 1V of the film era.  I've been using it for 6 months and have been extremely pleased.  Glad to have the speed, quality and features of the 1D series without the brick-like weight or the $$$ price.

Everyone wants 5D3 features at a 6D price, and 6D features at a 60D price.  That won't happen.

emag

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2012, 09:43:10 PM »
BOJ has been attempting to stimulate inflation in Japan for years, as is every central bank in the world now.  Perhaps Canon expect this to take hold relatively soon and are pricing their latest products accordingly.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2012, 09:43:10 PM »