October 20, 2014, 07:33:00 PM

Author Topic: DxOMark Sensor Performance: Nikon vs. Canon  (Read 81803 times)

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: DxOMark Sensor Performance: Nikon vs. Canon
« Reply #240 on: October 16, 2012, 04:20:45 PM »
read earlier answer, you must get your exposure" more right because of inferior DR and exposure latitude in Canon"
try to understand the difference
and if you expose them "right" (same parameters) you have 14 stops DR in Nikon d800 and about 11,5 stops in Canon , including pattern noise/banding

PS some people was accusing me to use bold letters a week ago  . luck above, what was that?

Do you have any real photos taken by yourself with your nikon cameras showing the vast superiority over canon cameras when properly exposed and processed?

Please show me some of your work which would be limited if you shot canon exclusively. Only then may you gain any of my respect lost for you and possibly give your words some weight to others here as well. (This doesn't include test charts and color test's)

google at my name ,and a specialty that I am  special proud of is my medical images .

Funny, All I found was more test charts. Any real photos Michael?

Please link us as I'm sure we're all very interested.  ;D

Google again, there are many of them

Test charts, Picassa and Dpreview <---- Which BTW your trolling as well.

Thats an interesting photo, but I believe the canon system would provide an Identical result.  ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #240 on: October 16, 2012, 04:20:45 PM »

RLPhoto

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #241 on: October 16, 2012, 04:33:29 PM »
read earlier answer, you must get your exposure" more right because of inferior DR and exposure latitude in Canon"
try to understand the difference
and if you expose them "right" (same parameters) you have 14 stops DR in Nikon d800 and about 11,5 stops in Canon , including pattern noise/banding

PS some people was accusing me to use bold letters a week ago  . luck above, what was that?

Do you have any real photos taken by yourself with your nikon cameras showing the vast superiority over canon cameras when properly exposed and processed?

Please show me some of your work which would be limited if you shot canon exclusively. Only then may you gain any of my respect lost for you and possibly give your words some weight to others here as well. (This doesn't include test charts and color test's)

google at my name ,and a specialty that I am  special proud of is my medical images .

Funny, All I found was more test charts. Any real photos Michael?

Please link us as I'm sure we're all very interested.  ;D

Google again, there are many of them

Test charts, Picassa and Dpreview <---- Which BTW your trolling as well.

Thats an interesting photo, but I believe the canon system would provide an Identical result.  ;D

who has sad otherwise? and be stringent with what we are discussing

Please show me some of your work which would be limited if you shot canon exclusively.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: October 16, 2012, 04:35:43 PM »
a specialty that I am  special proud of is my medical images .

As someone who taught Gross Anatomy and Neuroanatomy to medical students for 8 years, I appreciate the content - thanks for sharing!

What I don't see is anything that suggests your images have a wide dynamic range in the scene, such that a sensor with a broader DR would be of any meaningful benefit, whatsoever.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: October 16, 2012, 04:43:18 PM »
Ok, I found this:

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: October 16, 2012, 05:06:22 PM »
can we discuss Canons sensors now?

Sure.  But you seem far more interested in discussing Nikon's sensors.

RLPhoto

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #245 on: October 16, 2012, 05:11:02 PM »
Mikael Risedal...

Honestly, I didn't see anything there on that search that couldn't be done on a canon d30.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: October 16, 2012, 05:32:36 PM »
did you become a little more humble now, and the work you have done in neuroscience research
give me a link please to the paper.  I have worked with medical photography/ research since 1984.

Not really, no.  But you were the one clamoring for relevance, and posting my full CV (with dozens of peer-reviewed papers and a few book chapters) really isn't relevant. Not to mention that I have an aversion to posting my full name and contact into to a forum replete with trolls who seem willing to go to great lengths to argue their version of the truth. I do post a link to my photographs, in the signature of every post I make here.

Ok, I found this:

you show up as much knowledge in googling as you do here, facts please facts

So, it's not a fact that you posted the above image to DPR?  Perhaps someone is impersonating you?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #246 on: October 16, 2012, 05:32:36 PM »

dtaylor

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: October 16, 2012, 05:34:52 PM »
And yes Im intresting to discuss why Canon are sleeping regarding DR , they have not improved that much since 2004

I've shot surfing...where you cannot blend multiple frames...on Canon DSLRs since 2004. Canon DR has improved by at least 2 stops over that time period.

dtaylor

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: October 16, 2012, 05:39:16 PM »
Honestley the pictures you have seen do not need a lot of DR when the purpose is press but Dynamic range may be needed for annual reports, glossy magazines, etc and you have  not a clue what the benfits of large DR and exposure latitude are -do you and I have now been showing that  a number of times

You haven't shown anything. Please post an example of a photograph that can be taken with an Exmor sensor but not a Canon sensor.

Better yet, check out the Galen Rowell archives (http://www.mountainlight.com/). He produced that body of work with films that had 3-5 stops lower DR then a modern Canon DSLR.

Looks like he got his exposure right  ;D

dtaylor

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: October 16, 2012, 05:44:40 PM »
Nope.
In JPG Canon claims a lot

Yes. My assertion is not based on Canon's claims, but on comparing literally hundreds of frames chosen for use out of thousands of frames fired. I see the same thing comparing single frame landscapes.

RAW saw a good 2 stop improvement. HTP brought a similar improvement to JPEG.

It has been claimed in this thread that Canon users are ignoring/denying that Exmor sensors have wider DR. Here you are denying that Canon has made any improvements in 8 years when they most certainly have.

dtaylor

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: October 16, 2012, 05:46:05 PM »
Respond to me with facts.

No, you respond with facts. That's how this works because you are the one touting huge advantages for Exmor sensors. Where's your evidence? Where are your examples?

tnargs

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: October 16, 2012, 05:51:30 PM »
....<<to neuroanatomist, repeatedly>>...a link please to your scientific papers

Mikael, that is inappropriate and I think you should stop it. Everyone here is entitled to (a) their opinion, and (b) their anonymity if they choose it.

Discussions here can develop on the weight of the information and argument presented; there is no need to rely on the weight of authority. To do so would be short-cut thinking, relying on circumstantial evidence rather than the evidence itself.

dtaylor

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: October 16, 2012, 05:52:17 PM »
go back and read

More DxO derived used dog food. The 20D was not an 11 stop camera.

Do you have those Exmor photos for us to review yet?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #252 on: October 16, 2012, 05:52:17 PM »

dtaylor

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: October 16, 2012, 05:57:08 PM »
....<<to neuroanatomist, repeatedly>>...a link please to your scientific papers

Mikael, that is inappropriate and I think you should stop it. Everyone here is entitled to (a) their opinion, and (b) their anonymity if they choose it.

Discussions here can develop on the weight of the information and argument presented; there is no need to rely on the weight of authority. To do so would be short-cut thinking, relying on circumstantial evidence rather than the evidence itself.

+9,001

Let's see comparison photos with correct exposures where the Exmor file produces the award winning print and the Canon file goes into the trash. Everything else is irrelevant.

Side note: why is everything in photography like this? Why are small differences magnified and argued endlessly? The same exact pattern occurs in FF vs. crop, lens A vs. lens B, brand A vs. brand B. In the film days it was film A vs. film B. I've even seen this nonsense in discussions of tripods!

If you think there's a huge, just huge difference between A and B, do yourself this favor: produce the same image with A and with B. Print them to 20". Ask 20 people to tell you which is better or if they are the same. Listen to the results.

RLPhoto

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #254 on: October 16, 2012, 06:30:33 PM »
Mikael Risedal...

Honestly, I didn't see anything there on that search that couldn't be done on a canon d30.
Honestley the pictures you have seen do not need a lot of DR when the purpose is press but Dynamic range may be needed for annual reports, glossy magazines, etc and you have  not a clue what the benfits of large DR and exposure latitude are -do you and I have now been showing that  a number of times

I print often on UV coated papers, Kodak papers, Fuji papers, canvas, etc. so I do know how to print on the mediums I need.

You still haven't shown me any of your work that the canon camera limit's you in.

While it's interesting to discuss the nikon vs canon argument, it becomes dis-tasteful to discuss with someonw like yourself.

Which claims to be a pro for over 20 years yet, has no body of work behind it.

Which of portfolio consists mostly of test charts and 100% crops of noise samples.

Which has no logic or reasoning behind they're arguments and who bash honest forum users from Dpreview to canonrumors with information we already know.

You are the pinnacle of what is declared as a measurabator in the camera world.

Congrats, you've earned it.

Once again, I'll post my 7D example of a properly exposed & processed file. On your file below mine, You should be able to pull the same recovery as my image.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 06:44:00 PM by RLPhoto »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #254 on: October 16, 2012, 06:30:33 PM »