Mulling over what my best FF option is now that the (pathetic) 6D has been officially announced. I want to add a FF body for landscape, architecture, portrait, and flash work. I would like to get it soon, preferably before year's end, but could wait as long as March 2013 if there is a reason to wait. I consider myself a passionate hobbyist, I do not make any money or plan to from photog. I’m interested in the CR community’s thoughts and suggestions.
- 7D (with low shutter count)
- 16-35 II (less than a year old)
- 70-200 F4 IS (may sell for 70-200 2.8 II)
- 1.4 II
- 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT (plan to add a couple of 440EX-RTs)
- Plan to get a 35L or 50L (waiting to see if a 35L II is going to be announced)
I plan to buy new. I may consider a refurb from Canon but not likely since after shipping and taxes I’m not saving much.
- Buy a 5D3 (got the money but really don’t feel good about spending that kind of money on a body. Besides that would delay some of my other intended purchases. Could wait for a price drop but really don't see it dropping below 3k, don't expect anymore $2750 deals--I'm still suspicious about that.)
- Buy a 5D3 – and sell some gear to help offset the cost.
- Sell 7D – Hate to give up reach. I like to shoot MLB games and have wildlife option.
- Sell 16-35 II and buy a 17-40 (plan to use this lens for landscape at small apertures so soft edges on 17-40 shouldn’t be a problem. BTW, how is the distortion on the 17-40 compared to the 16-35II?)
- Buy a 5D2 now (had ruled this out but now reconsidering). If my crystal ball showed that Canon would release firmware for better RT flash support, this would make this option easier but we all know that’s not going to happen.
- Nothing at this time. Wait and see if Canon decides to build a FF camera between the 5D3 and 6D that their customers actually want as opposed to reacting to Nikon's D600.
- Your suggestion
Right now I’m slightly leaning towards option 3. Thanks as always.