October 24, 2014, 01:10:44 PM

Author Topic: 1D Mark 4 now???  (Read 6859 times)

mfarrell

1D Mark 4 now???
« on: May 04, 2011, 04:09:16 PM »
Hi All,

Was pretty set on getting a Mark 4 after recent wedding, love my Mark 2n, but ISO is just awful.....

Then had a check back here, will kick myself when new version comes out....whatever it might be, I like the 1.3 x crop, just bit middle, was going to get full frame for the 16-35 F2.8, but ISO is most important thing at mo, and even though i'm sure 5D Mark 2 is stunning, it just doesnt seem to match the 25000 of the Mark 4, and wont go higher, even if 51000 isnt the best, id rather have the shot then not.

My question is, should i get a Mark 4 now, or wait? I can get the Mark 4 0% Finance, so fairly cheap, but when new version comes out, at some point, what do you think price will be? Original Mark 4, or 1Ds range????

Hate to think i would of paid £3,500 for camera then new one comes out, but same time if new one is £2,000 more, wouldnt bother me

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are those of you that have done all this speculation before

canon rumors FORUM

1D Mark 4 now???
« on: May 04, 2011, 04:09:16 PM »

steven63

Re: 1D Mark 4 now???
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 04:18:31 PM »

WHEN the Mark V comes out I expect it to be fairly expensive from an inflation standpoint.  Realize everything is going up around us (in the U.S. anyway) and I doubt the 1dmkv will be immune.  Just how much is anybody's guess at this point.

That said, you indicated you wouldn't be bothered paying ~60% more so...

Anyway time frame for a V seems to be early next year but that could be pushed back. :-\

mfarrell

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 04:22:56 PM »
Sorry, meant if it's a £2,000 increase i wouldn't mind buying it, then the newer one coming out.  Not gonna stretch that far!!!

Was going to wait to see if announcements came out, but not sure will be anytime soon, and judging by stock levels everywhere, want it for wedding in August

steven63

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 05:07:50 PM »

My personal gut instinct tells me the release will not be until mid 2012.   Japan is pretty much messed up more then media is saying imo.  So I'd spring for the IV now especially if you can buy it for cash (zero interest).

kennykodak

• Rebel T5i
  • M.Photog.MEI.Cr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 06:28:01 PM »
i'm doing weddings with a mark 4 and i love it.  it's sharp and it's quick.  most of all i love running a CF card (raw) and a SDHC card (jpeg) together, peace of mind...

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 07:29:09 PM »
Hi All,

Was pretty set on getting a Mark 4 after recent wedding, love my Mark 2n, but ISO is just awful.....

My question is, should i get a Mark 4 now, or wait? I can get the Mark 4 0% Finance, so fairly cheap, but when new version comes out, at some point, what do you think price will be? Original Mark 4, or 1Ds range????

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are those of you that have done all this speculation before

No one can tell you for sure, but read the news, Camera and Lens production is mostly shut down due to parts shortages and rolling blackouts.  If there were planned announcements, they have been delayed, probably for 6 months and more likely a year.

There won't be a replacement for the 1D MK IV soon, but a new 1Ds FF camera is expected at some point.  Its pretty much just a bunch of people making up things for their enjoyment, so don't believe it.

I'd say that the 1D MK IV may soon be hard to find.

ronderick

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 12:04:13 AM »
Well, I think it would be safe to assume that Canon would probably announce the 1Ds, 5D, and 7D successors before we start hearing things about the next 1D. That's three major products, so I think its reasonable to assume some "off time" between each announcement.

Now, if you factor in the effects of the tsunami, I don't think announcement would start until late 2011 at the earliest. Note - announcement, not the time the new products hit the shelf (which could be anyone's guess).

So it's going to take a while before it gets to the 1D line...
Canon EOS 1D MKIV, EF 24-105mm F/4L, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L, TS-E 17mm F/4L, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
FujiFilm FinePix X100

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 12:04:13 AM »

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 04:21:44 AM »
If you need 51k for a wedding you have to wait for at least one update of the mk4, doubt that any of your clients would except IQ at that iso. For me I use the 12800 quite a bit, and in combo with Lightroom 3.x it will do just fine, but no details above that value.

That being said I cannot imagen a single thing that I would change about the mk4, it's the perfect camera (for me anyway) it can do anything in any conditions. I hope they never discontinue the 1,3 crop. The 39 crosstype sensors will lock focus even in those extreme light (or lack of) situations when you only get 1/60s f1,2 @ 51k. It SO refreshing to use every point instead of only trusting the mid-point to lock. And this is of course in Ai Servo as well, unlike the mkIII, you can keep your camera on Ai Servo and not be worried it jumps around like a mad chicken.
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

mfarrell

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 01:57:49 PM »
All good points, thanks guys

Kinda got feeling i need to get it sooner then later due to shortages, will definitely give it serious thought now

I know 51,000 is unlikely to be used for print, but for discs, etc i'd rather have the shot anyway, gives that extra help, but like you, i think 12,800 will be plenty, i'm doing ok with 6,400 on a mark 3, not that great no, but for discs it's fine when images come out well exposed fromt he camera....

ANyone using a 85 F1.2 II with a Mark 4? Very twitchy in the dark with the Mark 3

kennykodak

• Rebel T5i
  • M.Photog.MEI.Cr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 03:47:27 PM »

ANyone using a 85 F1.2 II with a Mark 4? Very twitchy in the dark with the Mark 3

i do, works well for me.  (attaching that lens to the camera in low light with its exposed rear element does scare the hell out of me though.)

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011, 05:00:21 AM »
I used to use the 85 L with my mk4, but found the AF to be too slow for my use, so I kept the 50 L and sold it off for the new 70-200.

The thing is; I 've discovered that focus-calibration has less to do with how much in front or behind the focus, as it has to do with accuracy. I've had my mk4 calibrated three times because of jumpy unsure focus (also posted a thread here for it regarding size of the focusing points) but it turns out it just needed to be properly calibrated, now it's dead on every time (with good lenses). The 85 wasn't very jumpy after cal, but it is slow still, for mye use. The 50 L can't measure up in IQ, but AF is a lot better.

Canon has made a  S E R I O U S upgrade in the AF-algorithims with the new lenses with the matte lens hood. The new 70-200, 100 macro L IS and such, they are so much better it's ridicolous on a mk4 when tracking something. Recently switched betwenn the old 100mm and the new L, and I only wish my 24 L II had that same type of AF, will be fun to see what a new 35 can do.....
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

mfarrell

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 09:26:15 AM »
Found after last wedding the focus just wsnt right with the Mark 3 in the low light, some were great, others were not quite there.  I have the 100 F2.8 L and the new 70-300 L which even on Mark 3 are incredible AF.  I have the 35 L also which i picked up over the 50 F1.2 L due to the 1.3 crop and that led me to the 85 L.  I agree the the AF is slow on the lens, but think i'd just be happy with it being right!! Could just be issue with body, never been calibrated, so maybe worth getting CPS involved......

mfarrell

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 03:12:05 PM »
Well thanks to all who replied, have bought my Mark 4 today, and looks like last one around for a fair distance, still few on couple websites, but looking very sparse now.

Great camera though, not tried the video yet, but ISO 3200 is pretty decent, equivalent of ISO 1600 on Mark 3 id say, and probably ISO 800 on the Mark 2n

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 03:12:05 PM »

steven63

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2011, 04:10:49 PM »

Glad you got it (while you could).  I'm jealous.  I've got the cash, but I'm putting it to work in some physical silver - to make more cash so that I can buy a 1dv when it comes out (or a 5dmkiii) without feeling it.

Ivar

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2011, 05:58:20 PM »
I'm not so sure about the big wait on the next 1D - Nikon is supposed to have a major update on its D3s and even when postponed it is still not that far. While this is a personal opinion, I think the 1D MK4 which was supposed to be a major update in Canon's line was rather a catch up (announcement timing just right after Nikon's announcement, 100K worthless iso addition because of competition's sake, the need to get the AF right) to the modest mid-life update of the D3s. So, the upcoming D4 looks like a pretty serious competitor which cannot be simply omitted.

Well, I think it would be safe to assume that Canon would probably announce the 1Ds, 5D, and 7D successors before we start hearing things about the next 1D. That's three major products, so I think its reasonable to assume some "off time" between each announcement.

Now, if you factor in the effects of the tsunami, I don't think announcement would start until late 2011 at the earliest. Note - announcement, not the time the new products hit the shelf (which could be anyone's guess).

So it's going to take a while before it gets to the 1D line...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2011, 05:58:20 PM »