September 18, 2014, 09:48:21 AM

Author Topic: Manual Focus Lenses: Smarter in F-Mount?  (Read 4318 times)

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Manual Focus Lenses: Smarter in F-Mount?
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2012, 07:26:31 PM »
I was wondering, since we all know Nikon lenses can be mounted on Canon bodies but not viceversa, is it not smarter to buy manual-focus-only lenses always in Nikon mount and buy an adapter?

That would minimize the inconveniences of side-grading, and would make expensive lenses such as Zeiss, Voigtländer and Schneider-Kreuznach a very safe investment.

Is there any disadvantage I'm neglecting? Any problem with aperture control?
As long as its a totally manual lens, you only have to deal with the somewhat klutzy adapters.  If I were buying a new lens and it was available in Canon mount, thats the way to go.
However, in terms of being able to resell a manual lens, having one that could be adapted fit Most DSLR bodies might have the most value.
Not only can a Nikon F lens be adapted to Canon, but also to Sony/Minolta, and a few others.  That increases the possible number of users who might want to buy it.  Just watch out, many of those old Nikon lenses have odd protrusions or other gotchas.
Of course, buying vintage medium Format lenses with their very long flange distance would allow them to be adapted to almost any DSLR.  The old Zeiss Hasselblad Distagon T* lenses are fairly good and low priced for a Zeiss lens. I've adapted one, and I love the smooooth manual focus.

Not all adapters are Klutzy (good term!), just most.  Of course I'm biased, I make adapters (that are 5X more expensive than the norm).
You are excused ;D   I'm a fan of your Canon FD to EF products.
 I did not realize that you made Nikon to other Body adapters.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2012, 07:26:31 PM »

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2012, 09:18:39 PM »
As long as its a totally manual lens, you only have to deal with the somewhat klutzy adapters.  If I were buying a new lens and it was available in Canon mount, thats the way to go.
However, in terms of being able to resell a manual lens, having one that could be adapted fit Most DSLR bodies might have the most value.
Not only can a Nikon F lens be adapted to Canon, but also to Sony/Minolta, and a few others.  That increases the possible number of users who might want to buy it.  Just watch out, many of those old Nikon lenses have odd protrusions or other gotchas.

I'll weigh in here, because i've got more lenses via adapter than normal EF mount lenses.
Firstly, my Samyang 35/1.4 (and other Samyangs too). Purely mechanical, there's no linkage at all. Sometimes I wish i'd gotten it in F-mount, then put an F-EF adapter with chip on it. Instead, I bought an AF confirm chip, and glued it on myself. It's not the best glue-job, so sometimes it's a bit iffy, but I can work with it. No downsides to going with adapters, except for what I'll write at the bottom.

Now, Z-E Zeiss lenses. I don't have any (i wish), but as far as I know they're not purely mechanical. Do they not use electronic aperture? Or at least have focus confirm / EXIF? That puts them a step above Samyangs if they do, so in that case using an adapter would be a disadvantage.

As to Spokane's comment about resell being higher on more adaptable (ie F-mount) lenses, that's true in theory. The theory only works if everyone knows about adapters, and I'm pretty sure not everyone does. I've actually noticed in practice, some ebay auctions (for ZE / ZF) glass, the ZF goes for less than the ZE. (although Leica R is priced well above the rest, that's more because of the 'Leica' badge than the long-flange distance).

Also, afaik there isn't an Alpha - EF adapter. Or if there is, i haven't heard about it (or probably you meant F goes on Alpha, not Alpha on EF?)
I've got OM lenses on one adapter (tokina 17/3.5, two 28/2.8s, and a 50mm macro, plus the OM bellows set).
I've got a PK lens (MIR 20/2.5, but when I use the rear screw-in colour filters for B+W it hits my EOS 3 mirror), not as nice because it's hard to get off, need one adapter per lens.
M42 i've got heaps of Takumars and otherwise, one thing with them is that the lens is never up the right way (except for Teles on which you can rotate the mount).
And Medium Format, anything *can* adapt to EF, but some mounts are more popular than others (like Pentacon 6, Hassy 500/2000, pentax 67, Mamiya 645. Not as popular are Contax 645 and Rollei 600*, they have electronic stop-down like EF, so on adapters they're wide-open only. And RB/RZ 67 and Rollei SL66 don't have focussing helicoids in the lens, so infinity or macro-bellows only, or a Zoerk adapter is $1k.

Anyway, that's just me blabbing on, seeing as the OP is mainly talking about Samyangs and Zeiss.
The one main problem I have, with all of my adapters and all of my lenses....
They Wobble.
Sometimes badly.
Maybe that's because I buy cheap $5 chinese adapters, but mostly it's just manufacturing tolerances, or wear-and-tear on old lenses. Mostly it's not even the adapter's fault, the same adapter works fine on a different lens, which wobbles with a different adapter. This doesn't affect sometimes in real life, sometimes (like uberfast lenses), it can make the whole image blurry, or one side of it (in extreme wobbliness you get a bit of Schleimpflug happening).
The exception to this is EdMika's adapter on my FL55/1.2. But then, that's not a 'real' adapter like the rest are. No offence Ed, what I mean is that it's better, it's more a 'back mount replacement' than 'adapter'. It's solid as a brick, no wobbling whatsoever...

So, at the end of all that. If you're planning on jumping ship, or just want to keep options open (or even like me, you just want to buy the cheapest no matter what mount), then go with an adapter and F mount, as long as you know that it might not be perfect. But afaik, at least zeiss ZE lenses probably work better natively...
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

Aglet

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2012, 01:26:29 AM »
some adapters have the AF confirm chip in them, FWIW.

I sure wish someone could mill the mount off my EF 70-200 f/2.8 L II and put a proper F-mount on it.
What a joy that would be to use on my D800e!

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2012, 05:21:00 AM »
Thank you all for your replies.

My idea is buying a D600 and 3-4 high-quality M/F primes - most likely Zeiss, Voigtländer and Samyang.

In this perspective spending 170€ for a chipped adapter by Novoflex or something similar is not a big deal, and the advantages in IQ, and long term durability and flexibility are just huge in my opinion.

I only wish I could find some information about the Voigtländer 28/2.8 for Canon/Nikon.

Mt Spokane Photography

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2012, 11:15:42 AM »
Thank you all for your replies.

My idea is buying a D600 and 3-4 high-quality M/F primes - most likely Zeiss, Voigtländer and Samyang.

In this perspective spending 170€ for a chipped adapter by Novoflex or something similar is not a big deal, and the advantages in IQ, and long term durability and flexibility are just huge in my opinion.

I only wish I could find some information about the Voigtländer 28/2.8 for Canon/Nikon.
Buy a adapter for each lens, removing and installing them to change a lens, as well as spending a hour reprogramming the chip for the attached lens is not fun.

SJTstudios

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2012, 09:40:49 AM »
Sorry for the misinterpretation befor.
You could always get some canon fd L lenses, they are decent quality (unless heavily used), pretty cheap, nice mf, and they won't loose any resale value. All you have to do is buy an adapter, and then you don't have to worry about switching to Nikon if you want to use af. An adapter and 3 lenses will cost you about $1000.
That way you can stay in the canon game with the good dslrs and good af lenses.

This is one of the cheapest ways to get good manual focus lenses, because remember, years ago when mf was the only way to focus, canon was still at the top with their mf l lenses.

Aglet

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2012, 10:28:46 PM »
Sorry for the misinterpretation befor.
You could always get some canon fd L lenses, they are decent quality (unless heavily used), pretty cheap, nice mf, and they won't loose any resale value. All you have to do is buy an adapter, and then you don't have to worry about switching to Nikon if you want to use af. An adapter and 3 lenses will cost you about $1000.
That way you can stay in the canon game with the good dslrs and good af lenses.

This is one of the cheapest ways to get good manual focus lenses, because remember, years ago when mf was the only way to focus, canon was still at the top with their mf l lenses.

Canon's old lenses need adapters to work on anything new
Nikon's old lenses need adapters to work on new Canon or some other bodies.
Nikon's old lenses still work on new Nikon bodies without adapters (with some AF issues on low end bodies)
Therefore, Nikon lenses are more versatile, and there's a pile of old used ones to be found out there, more than Canon's.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2012, 10:28:46 PM »

ontarian

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2012, 10:37:08 PM »

[/quote]

Nikon's old lenses still work on new Nikon bodies without adapters (with some AF issues on low end bodies)
Therefore, Nikon lenses are more versatile, and there's a pile of old used ones to be found out there, more than Canon's.
[/quote]

True.

But.

Not all things are equal.

Some Nikon Lenses are better than similar Canon lenses of that time.

Other Canon Lenses are better than similar Nikon lenses of that time.

Also Nikon shooters like Nikon Lenses and Canon shooters like Canon Lenses.

So blanket statements are broad, comfortable and kind of cover all the bases but are just barely more right than wrong in any given specific case.

Mt Spokane Photography

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2012, 12:41:42 PM »

True.

But.

Not all things are equal.

Some Nikon Lenses are better than similar Canon lenses of that time.

Other Canon Lenses are better than similar Nikon lenses of that time.

Also Nikon shooters like Nikon Lenses and Canon shooters like Canon Lenses.

So blanket statements are broad, comfortable and kind of cover all the bases but are just barely more right than wrong in any given specific case.

Absolutely! 

Do not try using a Nikon non-AI lens on a new Nikon Consumer body.  Or one of the "G" lenses that were optimized for APS-C before Nikon actually had a FF digital camera.
General statements lead the unaware into actually believing the misinformation and even into damaging their equipment. 
You need to carry a large table around with you if you want to use old Nikon lenses on a new body, or at least have a good memory.
Those wanting to mount old Nikon Lenses need to read this first, or risk damaging their digital body!

http://www.nikonians.org/nikon/slr-lens.html

http://www.aiconversions.com/compatibilitytable.htm

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2012, 12:41:42 PM »