April 19, 2014, 05:11:17 PM

Author Topic: Pellicle mirror in a rebel body  (Read 3509 times)

DuLt

Pellicle mirror in a rebel body
« on: May 04, 2011, 07:06:14 PM »
Hi everyone,

I blabbed about (in another thread) about how canon could create some sort of Kerr-cell pellicle mirror camera.

But I though about it and I was wondering IF, somehow, canon managed to release a bright, compact, zoom for the masses, wouldn't a pellicle mirror camera, with -1/3 stop of light OVF sell as hot buns? Decent AF in video and sports, faster frame rates...

Would the 1/3 light loss really be that damaging?

I'm talking about a rebel body because since they are release in an almost yearly base, canon could experiment with them, see the market reaction.

I also really like the Rebel's ergonomics an button layout (small hand, and I really enjoy less buttons).

I would like to hear people's 2 cent 'bout this...

canon rumors FORUM

Pellicle mirror in a rebel body
« on: May 04, 2011, 07:06:14 PM »

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: Pellicle mirror in a rebel body
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 07:40:10 PM »
Canon released two pro level film SLR's and both were flops. They were the originator of the idea.  We may yet see it again, Canon still mentions it in their new patents, just to protect the idea.

Losing 1/3 stop of light is not as critical as it was in film days, but losing 2/3 stop of light and creating a very dark viewfinder is a big issue.  To be successful, a bright viewfinder is essential.  This leads to the idea of a EVF, which is not so popular with DSLR users.  It is the best likely solution for now.

DuLt

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 07:49:24 PM »
Canon released two pro level film SLR's and both were flops. They were the originator of the idea.  We may yet see it again, Canon still mentions it in their new patents, just to protect the idea.

Losing 1/3 stop of light is not as critical as it was in film days, but losing 2/3 stop of light and creating a very dark viewfinder is a big issue.  To be successful, a bright viewfinder is essential.  This leads to the idea of a EVF, which is not so popular with DSLR users.  It is the best likely solution for now.

I'm thinking of losing 1/3 on the OVF, and 2/3 on the sensor.

But do you think 1/3 is that much of a loss?

Maybe in a pro level, but most amateur user's I know don't even notice the viewfinder difference between f3.5-f5.6 of their kit lenses.

adamdoesmovies

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 12:13:44 AM »
Sony currently has cameras in their own "rebel range" with pellicle mirrors and EV's. Even though a lot of people here have criticized it, I was rather impressed with my friend's A33's autofocus performance. If I remember correctly, they even get audio level control with the right setting. The only problem is that their video is extremely overcompressed and in a weird format. Still, as you can get them for about 600 bucks if you look around enough, it's worth trying one if you are fond of that type of technology.

Personally, I'm sticking with my 7D.

DuLt

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 10:25:26 AM »
Sony currently has cameras in their own "rebel range" with pellicle mirrors and EV's. Even though a lot of people here have criticized it, I was rather impressed with my friend's A33's autofocus performance. If I remember correctly, they even get audio level control with the right setting. The only problem is that their video is extremely overcompressed and in a weird format. Still, as you can get them for about 600 bucks if you look around enough, it's worth trying one if you are fond of that type of technology.

Tell me, is the bright pentaprism really that worth it? what if the pellicle mirror added more fps, faster af, etc?

adamdoesmovies

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 10:45:47 PM »

Tell me, is the bright pentaprism really that worth it? what if the pellicle mirror added more fps, faster af, etc?

With the sony, it does add those things.  While it's definitely no 7D (few cameras under 4 grand do what it does) it does have some impressive advances from the pellicle mirror. It does 7FPS, shoots its photos quietly, and can autofocus live during video using its AF sensors (vs contrast detection).  The semi-transparent mirror really does make a difference.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 10:45:47 PM »