September 17, 2014, 10:00:07 AM

Author Topic: Buying from Switzerland  (Read 4276 times)

pato

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Buying from Switzerland
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2012, 07:48:54 AM »
Hi,
First of all, I'm swiss :)
About the customs, as far as I know it works like this (only valid when going to Germany, other countries might have other laws).
Let's assume you bought something in Switzerland, like an expensive 5D MK3. In that case you would have to pay 21% taxes when going into Germany (other countries have other taxes), but you can get the 8% swiss taxes back.
If you don't pay them and they beleive you bought this camera in Switzerland, then you need to prove them that you bought it somewhere else. You can prove this by sending them a copy of the original receipt, which often carries either your name/creditcard details/serialnumber on it. Now if you can't bring this up (as you did not truly bought it outside of Switzerland) you have to pay the taxes, plus usually the same ammount again as punishment.

By sending stuff per mail, it's the receiving country which adds the tax. So in that case it depends on which country you send it to.

A new 5D MK3 body is currently around ~2700 EUR, depending on exchange rate.

pato

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2012, 07:48:54 AM »

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2012, 09:18:35 AM »

If you don't pay them and they beleive you bought this camera in Switzerland, then you need to prove them that you bought it somewhere else. You can prove this by sending them a copy of the original receipt, which often carries either your name/creditcard details/serialnumber on it.

This would make a lot of sense, if only gifts didn't exist. Or 2nd hand purchases.

I honestly don't have a receipt for every item I own, nor I would ever be able to provide one with my name on it. Also, we usually get general receipts here when you buy in a physical shop, without name or anything else addressing me in particular as the purchaser.

So again, it sounds a lot like custom officers are the gestapo. I doubt one could actually be condemned to anything without clear evidence.

aj1575

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2012, 04:32:22 AM »
there are many online vendors in Switzerland. My personal favorite and as far as I know one of the most successful vendors in Switzerland is www.digitec.ch. There prices are quite good and they are very honest regarding delivery times. They have several shops, so that you can order online and then pick up the wares in the shop most convenient for you.

I know this reads almost like advertising, but no, I am not working for digitec, I am just one of their many customers.

Digitec is rellay great; I orderd my 35mm f2 there at 09:00 in the morning, and could pick it up the same day at 16:00. Great service.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2012, 04:32:22 AM »