December 20, 2014, 04:04:08 PM

Author Topic: Going to my first wedding the the new 5d3  (Read 5479 times)

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Going to my first wedding the the new 5d3
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2012, 09:33:23 AM »
ADD the 70-200 f2.8 IS II with you.
Bodies: 1DX -- 5D III
Zooms: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Primes: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2012, 09:33:23 AM »

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2012, 10:30:05 AM »
If you and the paid photographer are that close, maybe you should sit down or shoot somewhere else? You were invited as a guest. The paid photographer is there to shoot the wedding.

I know this particular event is over and the point is now moot, but I have to echo this sentiment. When a paid photographer is shooting an event, they are on the job. I don't allow anyone to come into my office during the day, stand over my shoulder and type on my computer.

I feel very strongly that we should not be interfering with the work of a paid photographer. It's inconsiderate. At the very least, you should visit with the photographer beforehand and tell them what your purpose and intent is and make some ground rules. For example, staged events like the cutting of the cake, first dance, etc., most wedding photographers expect that family members will also be taking pictures. But, during the actual ceremony when the paid photographer absolutely must capture fleeting moments, is not the time for a family member to be getting in the way.

Just my two cents.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

Chris Geiger

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2012, 10:54:05 AM »
I see You shot auto. Everything worked great for the first shot of your son. But in the second shot the iso was droped from 6400 to 2500. When the camera saw the direct light from the windows and thought it had too much light and closed down. It would have better to blow out the window light so your daughters face was properly exposed. 

I would have set your camera (in manual) for the position your son was at. Keep the camera in manual, and shoot each person as they pass that point.

sleepnever

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2012, 11:20:12 AM »
Last year my sister-in-law got married and she had an official photographer. I was asked to take candid photos the photographer wasn't getting (I had a T2i, 28-135mm and no ext flash). We talked the prior evening at the rehearsal dinner about my intentions and I said I would not be in her way. I was just going to roam. She was totally OK with this and said she might need my help at some point as her assistant wasn't going to make it. Sweet!

During the ceremony and important parts, I stayed in the back and around the edges. She had the gear, the know how and it was her job to get those important shots. If I had some better lenses, I could have captured some angles she forgot but oh well.

My youngest sister-in-law is getting married next year and asked me to be THE photographer. I declined, but I'm happy to do what I did above, especially now that I have my new 5Dmk3 and 24-70L mkI. =)

Edit: The shot of your son is great. If you shot RAW, you can probably bring up the shadows of your daughter a little. One thing people forget about is being paid to take the shot or just taking the shot. Candid photos can come out just as good or better sometimes than the ones that were heavily thought through.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 11:25:56 AM by sleepnever »
Canon 5D3 | 50mm f1.4  | 24-70 f2.8L | 100 f2.8L IS Macro | 430EX II
Flickr

qwerty0

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2012, 12:29:30 PM »
I even tried HP and still some were ok and some were bad but I was fighting the paid photographer for shots. Surprisingly she shot all night with some Uwa that looked like a fish eye by tamron on a Nikon d7000 she just shot without looking like it was a weapon. Am I trying too hard is that not what composition requires you to actually look thru the viewfinder?

It's probably just a misunderstanding of your words but I am assuming you just mean that the paid photog was getting in your shots and not the other way around right?  You weren't actually getting in the paid photographer's way?  Because if you were - you were screwing with someones living for no good reason. If you mess up your pride is hurt and you write on an internet forum.  If they mess up it costs them money / reputation / future income.  You don't have to be impressed by them or even their photography.  It's just courtesy.

KKCFamilyman

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • Nicholas J Allo Photography
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2012, 08:47:19 PM »
I even tried HP and still some were ok and some were bad but I was fighting the paid photographer for shots. Surprisingly she shot all night with some Uwa that looked like a fish eye by tamron on a Nikon d7000 she just shot without looking like it was a weapon. Am I trying too hard is that not what composition requires you to actually look thru the viewfinder?

It's probably just a misunderstanding of your words but I am assuming you just mean that the paid photog was getting in your shots and not the other way around right?  You weren't actually getting in the paid photographer's way?  Because if you were - you were screwing with someones living for no good reason. If you mess up your pride is hurt and you write on an internet forum.  If they mess up it costs them money / reputation / future income.  You don't have to be impressed by them or even their photography.  It's just courtesy.

I understand. I feel attacked here. I am just trying to get better at photography as it is my passion and hopefully want to do it professionally at some point. I did respect her and stayed out of her way as much as possible. It just felt like everytime I wanted to just get those few candids she was there or I was in her way. She said no flashing when i'm flashing so I had to do it without a flash. I was there helping watch my two kids and the ceremony so pics were hard to concentrate on. I just took a few here and there. Unfortunately the only ones that turned out good where the bride and groom. The wife is now mad and said all the one's I was meant to take of the kids were bad. I was respecting the professional that is why I did not get the shots I wanted. Very frustrating to hear it on this forum and from the wife. Maybe this is not my calling.
1Dx, 5D3, 16-35 f4 L IS, 24-70L II, 70-200 f2.8 IS II L, Sigma 35mm 1.4, 85mm 1.2 ii L, 100mm 2.8L macro, 70-300 L, 40mm 2.8, 3 x 600ex rt, ST-E3

KKCFamilyman

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • Nicholas J Allo Photography
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2012, 08:49:04 PM »
here is a good one
1Dx, 5D3, 16-35 f4 L IS, 24-70L II, 70-200 f2.8 IS II L, Sigma 35mm 1.4, 85mm 1.2 ii L, 100mm 2.8L macro, 70-300 L, 40mm 2.8, 3 x 600ex rt, ST-E3

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2012, 08:49:04 PM »

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2012, 11:15:18 PM »

I understand. I feel attacked here. I am just trying to get better at photography as it is my passion and hopefully want to do it professionally at some point. I did respect her and stayed out of her way as much as possible. It just felt like everytime I wanted to just get those few candids she was there or I was in her way. She said no flashing when i'm flashing so I had to do it without a flash. I was there helping watch my two kids and the ceremony so pics were hard to concentrate on. I just took a few here and there. Unfortunately the only ones that turned out good where the bride and groom. The wife is now mad and said all the one's I was meant to take of the kids were bad. I was respecting the professional that is why I did not get the shots I wanted. Very frustrating to hear it on this forum and from the wife. Maybe this is not my calling.

Don't think that. If she really wanted a 2nd shooter, she should have gotten a photographer with a second shooter. Take this as a big learning experience, and unfortunately with some lessons on what not to do, but that's often how we get better at things.

Unfortunately you didn't get a chance to coordinate/talk with the photographer more before the ceremony, I'm sure she probably would have given you a few tips, and helped coordinate where you each would be, and what general photos she would try and get vs you would try and get. Don't let this stop you, it's just one experience in a long list of experiences to come.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2012, 11:15:18 PM »