Gear Talk > Canon General

Dream Package for Soccer???

<< < (2/4) > >>

Zlatko:
I think you are all set with exactly the lenses you need.  The only upgrade I would consider is a second 5D3 for its magnificent image quality, autofocus and high ISO performance. 

Richard Lane:
Is this game in an indoor stadium and is the lighting poor?

If so, then consider the 5D3 as your primary body with the best ISO and best AF, so I would put that body out in front for the majority of the work, which for me would be the 300mm +/- 1.4x @300mm-420mm.

The 7D is the 2nd best body, so I would give that the rest of the work, on whatever lens you feel that will be.  For me the 7D would go on the 70-200mm and then 1D2 would get the 24-70mm for celebrations, fans, and stadium shots.  I usually find that most player celebrations would be farther away from you, by the goal or on either sideline (depending which team scores), so the 70-200mm would be better for that.

Personally, I would carry the wide angle lens on my think tank belt for cool stadium shots and wide half-time shots.  However, I'm not sure why you don't want to swap lenses? 

You certainly have a lot of combinations to choose from!

bkorcel:
5D3 and 300mm f2.8L.  You can crop shots even from the other side of the field and still resolve sweat drops.

TrumpetPower!:
As I understand it, the standard single-shooter setup is two bodies: a Great White on a monopod (at least a 400 or 500 for big field sports -- rent one if need be) on the left, and a 70-200 on the right. Most of the time, you shoot with the Great White. When the action gets close, that goes over your left shoulder, lens pointing down, left arm wrapped around the monopod. In the same movement, you bring the 70-200 up to your eye with your right hand.

You'd have a normal and an ultra-wide on your belt, and swap with the 70-200 when warranted (mostly for crowd / sidelines shots when action is slow.

I know there's lots of excitement at this chance for you (congratulations!), but I'd keep it simple. If you've got extra gear, have it available (with a friend in the stands, for example) as a backup in case of disaster, but don't have it with you. (Extra memory and batteries, a Shorty McForty, that sort of thing excepted, of course.)

One last suggestion: see if you can get in touch with somebody local who already does this for a living. Offer to buy lunch in exchange for tips. Oh -- and see if you can do some practice runs at a high school or college game (or even practice session), too.

Cheers,

b&

P.S. I also understand that good knee pads are not optional. b&

P.P.S. Have fun! b&

charlesa:

--- Quote from: TrumpetPower! on October 01, 2012, 07:04:41 PM ---As I understand it, the standard single-shooter setup is two bodies: a Great White on a monopod (at least a 400 or 500 for big field sports -- rent one if need be) on the left, and a 70-200 on the right. Most of the time, you shoot with the Great White. When the action gets close, that goes over your left shoulder, lens pointing down, left arm wrapped around the monopod. In the same movement, you bring the 70-200 up to your eye with your right hand.

You'd have a normal and an ultra-wide on your belt, and swap with the 70-200 when warranted (mostly for crowd / sidelines shots when action is slow.

I know there's lots of excitement at this chance for you (congratulations!), but I'd keep it simple. If you've got extra gear, have it available (with a friend in the stands, for example) as a backup in case of disaster, but don't have it with you. (Extra memory and batteries, a Shorty McForty, that sort of thing excepted, of course.)

One last suggestion: see if you can get in touch with somebody local who already does this for a living. Offer to buy lunch in exchange for tips. Oh -- and see if you can do some practice runs at a high school or college game (or even practice session), too.

Cheers,

b&

P.S. I also understand that good knee pads are not optional. b&

P.P.S. Have fun! b&

--- End quote ---

+1

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version