A few things I’d love to see Canon come out with this release cycle

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
Canon Rumors Premium
Aug 9, 2018
I have two theories.
They might feel like a good thief will work in groups and one of them would walk past you to identify everything you have up close how used and exactly what model it is and then google it. In that case, it won't matter.
They might feel like a thief is gonna try to take their gear no matter what. So it won't matter.
BUT I can tell you they probably don't feel like their neck hurts, because there are too many more comfy straps harnesses and holsters, aren't there?
Yes, there are much better straps, like for instance Peak Design, Eddycam or Op/Tech. (And a few more!)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Richard CR

Canon Rumors Premium
Dec 27, 2017
Canada
www.canonnews.com
That's why Fujifilm has supplanted Canon as the biggest camera seller, right?

PS it always makes me laugh when I see people insulting strangers and signing out with "peace" :rolleyes:
if you lumping in Instax cameras, then I think Samsung or Apple are the largest camera manufacturers.

Fuji does make great cameras though - the two just announced are cameras I'd love to see Canon make.

Upvote 0

David - Sydney

Canon Rumors Premium
Dec 7, 2014
www.flickr.com
I'll never understand why so many photographers still use these stupid red or yellow neckstraps...
I've never used them for that reason. I sold the fancy custom R5 strap that was bundled with the pre-ordered R5 by Canon Australia. Made a fellow user very happy :)
I don't use a strap at all except when doing aerials in a doors-off cessna or high towers that mandate usage. Quite comfortable hand carrying or holding in my elbow or on a tripod (big hands, strong grip??). They are a nuisance when on a tripod anyway.

So far, no issues with theft or dropping it but global insurance is mandatory especially for my underwater gear. It is very worthwhile at ~4% of total assets annually albeit scary to see the total number when premiums become due!

Didn't Leica come out with a body without the red dot (was black I recall) to be a little more incognito?

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
Canon Rumors Premium
Aug 9, 2018
I've never used them for that reason. I sold the fancy custom R5 strap that was bundled with the pre-ordered R5 by Canon Australia. Made a fellow user very happy :)
I don't use a strap at all except when doing aerials in a doors-off cessna or high towers that mandate usage. Quite comfortable hand carrying or holding in my elbow or on a tripod (big hands, strong grip??). They are a nuisance when on a tripod anyway.

So far, no issues with theft or dropping it but global insurance is mandatory especially for my underwater gear. It is very worthwhile at ~4% of total assets annually albeit scary to see the total number when premiums become due!

Didn't Leica come out with a body without the red dot (was black I recall) to be a little more incognito?
Right, the Leica MP series don't have this red dot. But whether it is about being discrete or just about how discrete the owner pretends to be, I couldn't say. (I own an expensive camera, but I'm so modest I don't want anyone to know...) Anyway, the Leica MP models have some technical features/advantages the normal red dots don't have.
PS: Mine have the red dot.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Yes, there are much better straps, like for instance Peak Design, Eddycam or Op/Tech. (And a few more!)
I'm genuinely curious (and have been tempted to ask numerous times when things like this are discussed on here) - in what ways do these third party straps help? Maybe I'm using my camera in a weird way, but it's not obvious to me what I might be missing.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

Canon Rumors Premium
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Right, the Leica MP series don't have this red dot. But whether it is about being discrete or just about how discrete the owner pretends to be, I couldn't say. (I own an expensive camera, but I'm so modest I don't want anyone to know...) Anyway, the Leica MP models have some technical features/advantages the normal red dots don't have.
PS: Mine have the red dot.
I don't need the red dot to recognize a Leica, they have a very distinctive design.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
Canon Rumors Premium
Aug 9, 2018
I'm genuinely curious (and have been tempted to ask numerous times when things like this are discussed on here) - in what ways do these third party straps help? Maybe I'm using my camera in a weird way, but it's not obvious to me what I might be missing.
They are usually wider, softer, easier to adjust, much more discret, exist in numerous colors (if wanted). But I never use shoulder straps without Peak Design anchor links, so I can quickly swap cameras or remove the strap.
To put it short: comfort! :)

Upvote 0

koenkooi

Canon Rumors Premium
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
They are usually wider, softer, easier to adjust, much more discret, exist in numerous colors (if wanted). But I never use shoulder straps without Peak Design anchor links, so I can quickly swap cameras or remove the strap.
Most of the time I use the PD wrist strap ('cuff'), but for longer hikes I attach a strap my wife made for me using the PD anchors. I have so far resisted putting PD anchors on my Yashica MAT-124G, but when I start using that more, it well get them :)

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
I only rarely use a shoulder strap, and when I do it's a Blackrapid. I like the ability to quickly raise the camera without the strap sliding around. Since RRS started putting a QD socket on their plates and BR came out with a QD strap, it's easy to attach/remove from any gear I'm carrying, and with longer lenses can be attached to the lens plate for better balance.

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2021
That's right.
And his desperate condition has even been worsening. Sad, so sad! ;)
It's much worse! I can't eat, I'm in bed mostly, I have strange sores in the shape of a trio of number six's, and didn't shower in four months- last week, my head spun around 360 degrees, I vomitted for two and half minutes and told a priest to f-himself!

• Wow
Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2021
They can be more comfortable, due to wider sizes, more comfortable for your neck because of a little cushion, different materials, cotton leather, something artificial but very strong.

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2021
I only rarely use a shoulder strap, and when I do it's a Blackrapid. I like the ability to quickly raise the camera without the strap sliding around. Since RRS started putting a QD socket on their plates and BR came out with a QD strap, it's easy to attach/remove from any gear I'm carrying, and with longer lenses can be attached to the lens plate for better balance.
Straps can get annoying...

Upvote 0
Thanks, that's helpful. I don't find the Canon strap uncomfortable, and I don't care about discretion. I took my camera on a 13 mile hike through the hills last week, it was fine; maybe I'm holding it differently to other people. It's good there are lots of options anyway :)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2021
Thanks, that's helpful. I don't find the Canon strap uncomfortable, and I don't care about discretion. I took my camera on a 13 mile hike through the hills last week, it was fine; maybe I'm holding it differently to other people. It's good there are lots of options anyway :)
I don't think it's important if you don't feel bothered and aren't worried about it being stolen. Although, some people are adamant about using a third-party strap. Like most things, we need to decide for ourselves.

Upvote 0