Canon RF 100-300mm f/2.8L IS USM will start shipping on May 31, 2023

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
Now for my next (first world) problem...the right-sized bag. I'm a big fan of having the right bag to hold my camera and lenses with little or no room to spare, which is why I have so many bags. The Canon soft shoulder bag that has replaced the hard case with the recent supertele lenses is ok for the lens itself, however it's on the roomy side for the lens but not roomy enough for the lens with the R3 mounted. The soft case will sit in the attic with the rest of the gear boxes.

As I knew from the specs, the 100-300 is a rather long lens, 7.5 cm / 3" longer than the 300/2.8 II. It's about 2 cm shorter than the 400/2.8, so backpacks sized to fit a DSLR-mounted 400/2.8 will work fine. I have the Lowepro Flipside 400 for that, and the combo does fit.

However, my typical use case for the 100-300/2.8 will be the same as the 70-200/2.8 – indoor events. I typically don't bring a backpack full of gear to those, just the camera and 1 or 2 lenses depending on the event. For that, I typically use a Lowepro Toploader Pro holster-style case, I have all three of the sizes. With the RF 70-200, I am able to use the mid-sized 70 AW instead of the large 75 AW needed for the EF version. If bringing a second zoom (now the 28-70/2), I put that in a Lowepro Lens Case that straps onto the side of the Toploader. With a DSLR, I'd often just take the 70-200/2.8 in the 75 AW with the EF 40/2.8 pancake slipped into the side pocket instead of bringing a second zoom; I suspect I'll start doing that again once I get the RF 28/2.8.

Lowepro's biggest toploader is the 75 AW, which way too small for the 100-300. From what I can tell, the only holster-style bag that might be big enough for the RF 100-300/2.8 is the Think Tank Digital Holster 150. Does anyone know of another option? It's sized/intended for a DSLR with a 150-600 lens, with an internal height of 39 cm / 15.3". The R3 + 100-300/2.8 combo measures 15.4” to the back of the camera, 16.25” to the back of the R3’s eyecup. Those include an extra 1/4” from a B+W clear filter on the lens, which I prefer to leave on but I suppose I could remove if needed. Think Tank does indicate that the DH150 fits the Sony FE 200-600, and that lens is only 5 mm / 0.25" shorter than the 100-300/2.8, but the Sony bodies are less deep, e.g. the A1 is about 12 mm / 0.5" thinner from the mount to the back of the eyecup compared to the R3.

I contacted Think Tank with my measurements, they replied that they are uncertain if it will fit, the holster is a soft case and does have some wiggle room to form to the item but they don't have the camera or lens to test. So...I ordered one and I'll find out myself.

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
So...I ordered one and I'll find out myself.
The verdict is that it fits...barely. The good news is that it goes in with the hood reversed and the clear filter in place. The removable 'screen protector' flap had to be removed, the tripod collar must be at an 'off' angle (I just leave it loosened; would be nice if it was removable like the smaller lenses), and the camera body must be oriented with the eyecup opposite the 'hinge' seam for the lid. But it closes, and without undue tension on the zippers.

I do prefer the design of the Lowepro toploaders to this one, e.g. the top of the Lowepro ones has a side-release buckle closure and the zippers, so you can quickly close the flap when the camera is in active use. The Lowepro cases also have a solid attachment point for a smaller lens case on the side that the TT holster lacks (there are thin straps that will work, but the attached lens case will likely flop around quite a bit). Regardless, this will meet the need even if some aspects are not ideal.

TT DH150 Canon 100-300+R3.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
The verdict is that it fits...barely. The good news is that it goes in with the hood reversed and the clear filter in place. The removable 'screen protector' flap had to be removed, the tripod collar must be at an 'off' angle (I just leave it loosened; would be nice if it was removable like the smaller lenses), and the camera body must be oriented with the eyecup opposite the 'hinge' seam for the lid. But it closes, and without undue tension on the zippers.

I do prefer the design of the Lowepro toploaders to this one, e.g. the top of the Lowepro ones has a side-release buckle closure and the zippers, so you can quickly close the flap when the camera is in active use. The Lowepro cases also have a solid attachment point for a smaller lens case on the side that the TT holster lacks (there are thin straps that will work, but the attached lens case will likely flop around quite a bit). Regardless, this will meet the need even if some aspects are not ideal.

View attachment 209538
Another note on the TT DH-150, the included rain cover is in a small, zippered pocket on the side. With the cover removed, that pocket snugly holds my RF 24/1.8 with the hood. The camera + 100-300 can be removed and put it with the small prime in the pocket.

That pocket will also hold either the 1.4x or 2x extender (probably why TT designed it that way).

Upvote 0
My apologies for your experience. I am using the R3 with the RF100-300 mm f2.8 and the only noise I hear is the shutter opening and closing when I turn the camera on and off. Definitely send it back to Canon for repair if you do not want to wait. Otherwise, you can likely return it and get a full refund.
They sent me a brand new-in-box lens today to replace the broken one. I'm happy!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
Where is the RF 100-300mm f/2,8 IS USM please check your Rumors it's mid of June and May is over. Any hope ?

You can preorder but don't get delivery date ? Canon that is unprofessional Service.
I don’t know where yours is, mine is in my largest Pelican Storm case with my 600/4 and a few other lenses. It’s an excellent lens. I placed my preorder the morning of the announcement, and mine shipped on 31-May as Canon indicated was the expected availability date.

Perhaps you failed to notice the recent pandemic and ensuing global supply chain issues? Canon issues periodic updates on supply status, a nice bit of transparency and a good business practice. Beyond the recent ‘may take longer than usual’, in late May Canon specifically called out the 100-300, saying, "Even for customers who have already placed an order, it may be difficult to deliver within 2023.

This sort of thing is common now – most new lenses, especially high end ones, aren’t ‘in stock’ for quite a while as the number of preorders exceeds the supply. If you want a new Canon product as soon as possible, preorder it as soon as it’s announced. Even if you’re unsure, preorder it anyway because you’ll have weeks or months to cancel your preorder if that’s your decision. Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ekpil

Never stop exploring.
Canon Rumors Premium
Apr 20, 2013
Tks for your comments.
I preorder mine before announcement.
If that 10k Lens is on lottery please call it a lottery. I now Logistik very well and Canon is not doing a perfekt job.
If you have orders,inventory and production line its not rocket science to find a timeline. We are talking about some hundreds lenses worldwide.
Retailers don't get a answer what to and when expect this lens.

And there is nothing "unexpected". I am waiting for AI to fix that ;-)

Still use my RF 400 2,8 and RF 600mm 4,0.

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
I preorder mine before announcement.
If that 10k Lens is on lottery please call it a lottery. I now Logistik very well and Canon is not doing a perfekt job.
If you have orders,inventory and production line its not rocket science to find a timeline. We are talking about some hundreds lenses worldwide.
Retailers don't get a answer what to and when expect this lens.
Vendors accept 'official' preorders only after a lens is announced. Many vendors accept unofficial preorders if they're aware a lens is coming. In that case, the issue is likely with your vendor or their priority in their allocation from Canon. Certainly, Canon will prioritize larger vendors across different geographies. Often, small retailers can place an order and get one or two of a new lens. Large vendors (B&H, Adorama in the US, Wex in the UK, etc.) get larger allocations. Even if you're first in line with a small vendor, it doesn't mean that vendor is first in line with Canon.

As an example, I could call up a small local photo shop and tell them I want to preorder the forthcoming R1 or 200-500/4L. They'd put my name on a list, and it would probably be the first on the list at that point. But those products haven't been announced yet, the order is unofficial. Maybe my local shop doesn't get their order into Canon USA soon enough, and they don't get the R1 or the 200-500 from the first allotment to Canon USA. Thus, my 'before the announcement and I was first on the list' preorder is meaningless.

It's not a lottery. I got mine not due to luck, but due to good planning – I placed an 'official' preorder with a large retailer very early. Others who received the lens placed unofficial preorders with small vendors from whom they've reliably received such orders in the past.

As I mentioned, there's a global supply chain problem. If you really do know logistics well, then you know that Canon does not make every part of every product themselves. Many components are produced by other vendors, and those vendors in turn have suppliers for needed components and raw materials, and those components have suppliers that in turn have their own suppliers for materials, etc. Somewhere far down that component chain across a series of sequential suppliers is the raw material or machine part that is the ultimate rate limiting step, and that step may be several vendors removed from Canon's control. Even those steps under Canon's control, e.g. growing the fluorite crystals needed for some of the lens elements, have variability in the process and not a guaranteed output. So no, it's not a simple matter of orders+inventory+production line = timeline, because a production line has many external dependencies.

I'll leave you to read a topical poem as you wait impatiently for your kingdom lens.

Screenshot 2023-06-16 at 12.05.15 PM.png

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
I don’t get it, ordered from B&H the day the lens was announced, so far just crickets, just tell me u can’t supply them right now, I understand, crickets I don’t understand ☹️
I doubt B&H knows when they’ll get their next allocation from Canon.

What time did you order? I placed mine with B&H just before 8a (Eastern) on announcement day.

I recall that with the R3, I ordered around 6:30a and those who placed orders before about 9a got theirs in the first batch while those who ordered later waited a couple of months for the next batch. Unfortunately, I suspect the gaps between batches of the 100-300 may be longer.

Upvote 0