In-Depth Review: Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 VC

Nov 17, 2011
dilbert said:
CarlTN said:
Not a bad shot at all. But I wonder why you would pair the 1DX with this lens? If you need 600mm, it seems a big white, or a combo with a TC, would better serve the 1DX. Looks like the Tamron is in fine form, though.

The 600mm Canon lens is $12,000+.
The Tamron lens is ~$1100.
The 1DX is $6800.

You can afford 2x1DX+Tamron for the price of 1DX+Canon 600mm.

As much as I love my 400mm f2.8 IS II, I still couldn't figure out why the hood + case would cost $1300ish ::)

Maybe Neuro has the answer :)

Attachments

• hood & case.jpg
    hood & case.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 1,163
Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
Dylan777 said:
As much as I love my 400mm f2.8 IS II, I still couldn't figure out why the hood + case would cost $1300ish ::)

Well, I could launch into a discussion of supply and demand, and the higher retail cost of items produced in limited quantities (replacements for damaged/lost items only, with no real 'standalone' sales), the answer is probably quite simple.

canon-logo-700x415.jpg

That logo is just really darn expensive. :p

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
neuroanatomist said:
Dylan777 said:

Well, I could launch into a discussion of supply and demand, and the higher retail cost of items produced in limited quantities (replacements for damaged/lost items only, with no real 'standalone' sales), the answer is probably quite simple.

canon-logo-700x415.jpg

Of course :)

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
Canon Rumors Premium
Aug 16, 2012
neuroanatomist said:
Roo said:
No 2 position VC (1 to allow panning)

Does the Tamron 150-600 have automatic panning detection? I use 'mode 2 IS' quite frequently for birds, and it makes a difference.

I use Mode 3 IS on the Canon. The good thing about the Tammy is that there is no choice so it's never on the wrong setting.

Upvote 0
Dylan777 said:
neuroanatomist said:
Dylan777 said:

canon-logo-700x415.jpg

Beyond that, the hoods are made out of carbon fiber, which isn't known to be cheap, but the suitcase, well that I can't explain. Also, be sure not to lose your lens cap because they don't give those away, either (for the old or new 600):

Attachments

• 2014-02-14 11_46_07-Lens Caps _ B&H Photo Video.png
    2014-02-14 11_46_07-Lens Caps _ B&H Photo Video.png
    64.9 KB · Views: 1,054
Upvote 0
Dylan777 said:
dilbert said:
CarlTN said:
Not a bad shot at all. But I wonder why you would pair the 1DX with this lens? If you need 600mm, it seems a big white, or a combo with a TC, would better serve the 1DX. Looks like the Tamron is in fine form, though.

The 1DX is $6800.

I seriously can't understand why the hood is as much as the case. The case...a bit overpriced perhaps, but I do understand why a high quality protective case can cost that much. Especially one custom engineered for a single lens.

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
Drizzt321 said:
The case...a bit overpriced perhaps, but I do understand why a high quality protective case can cost that much. Especially one custom engineered for a single lens.

Well, sort of custom designed for a single case. Actually, the outer case is the same for the 400 II, 500 II, and 600 II, there's just a custom insert for each lens. Canon saved themselves some tooling costs with that move. That means with the 400 II and 500 II there's a fair bit of extra space - they incorporate a pair of 'holes' for the 1.4x and 2x TC's to use up that extra space in the cases for the 400 and 500, but not the 600.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
mackguyver said:
Dylan777 said:
neuroanatomist said:
Dylan777 said:

canon-logo-700x415.jpg

Beyond that, the hoods are made out of carbon fiber, which isn't known to be cheap, but the suitcase, well that I can't explain. Also, be sure not to lose your lens cap because they don't give those away, either (for the old or new 600):

Yes....indeed
Last time I checked, it wasn't dust proof ;D

Upvote 0
Dylan777 said:
dilbert said:
CarlTN said:

The 1DX is $6800.

Hmmmm, the new Tamron or the case and hood for the 400? Good thing those accessories come WITH the lens!!

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
I din't need a 600mm lens and even if i did i would not consider the tamron lens, because tamron is not willing to equip their lenses in ef-version with matching zoomring anf focus ring rotation direction. As long as they make their lenses nikon style only Which causes lost shots for canon users, i will not buy from them. I liked the optical quality of the tamron 17-50/2.8, but sold it after a few months for this reason and got the canon 17-55 instead. I also trll the tamron people at any tradeshow i visit, that their products are seriously flawed.

Upvote 0
AvTvM said:
I din't need a 600mm lens and even if i did i would not consider the tamron lens, because tamron is not willing to equip their lenses in ef-version with matching zoomring anf focus ring rotation direction. As long as they make their lenses nikon style only Which causes lost shots for canon users, i will not buy from them. I liked the optical quality of the tamron 17-50/2.8, but sold it after a few months for this reason and got the canon 17-55 instead. I also trll the tamron people at any tradeshow i visit, that their products are seriously flawed.

Personal choice, and fine for you if you don't want to adapt to that style when you change lenses.

Besides the horrible grammar an attitude towards the company & representatives, most of us seem to be fine adapting when switching lenses. I rented the Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 and it took me less than an hour to generally be used to it, and if I had used it regularly I'm sure I would have adapted as soon as I put the lens on.

Upvote 0

Roo

Canon Rumors Premium
Sep 12, 2013
Melbourne
AvTvM said:

Over here locally made cars have indicator stalks on the right hand side of the steering column and I bought a euro car with the indicators on the left side but I've never driven down the street with the windscreen wipers unintentionally on because of it ( funny how they seem to say 'dumb guy, dumb guy, dumb guy' when you do that in the dry). Similarly, I've got the Tamron 17-50 and I can't say that the zoom ring going the opposite direction has ever caused me to miss a shot and I'm not expecting it to happen with this one either. It would be nice if it did rotate the same way as most ef mounts (don't forget Canon have push/pull zoom) but its very easy to adapt.

As for it being seriously flawed..

Is the product well built and work as intended? Yes.
Does it allow you take good quality shots? Absolutely.
Is it good value for money? Yes

So the product is not 'seriously flawed', maybe its just your expectations are. So while you continue to waste your time trolling Tamron, forums etc with your unrealistic expectations I'll be taking photos with my non flawed lens :D

Upvote 0
Roo said:
I picked up my copy today to replace my Sigma 150-500 :D I'll have to wait until tomorrow to test it out but my first impressions are

Build quality is good
Switches have a positive feel
Zoom lock is nicer to use than Sigma
Focus limiter is a good inclusion
Zoom and Focus rings operate smoothly

Dislike
No 2 position VC (1 to allow panning)
No additional carry strap as per Sigma
No lens case
Sigma has a better tripod foot for holding.

I've added a couple of shots to compare the length against the Sigma. On the 5D3 its not that much bigger than the 60d/150-500 combo.

Very interesting, I didn't realize the 150-500 didn't have a two mode IS. My Sigma 120-400 does have the two mode IS, and it also comes with a soft lens case. I believe they have the same tripod foot...and I agree it's very nice.

Upvote 0
I've been shooting this lens for the last 21 days since I got the lens. I'm very satisfied with the lens itself, but I had a terrible finding a case for it. I finally found the Lowe pro case that fit. I also own the Tamron Sp 200-500mm, it came with a padded case. I was a little disappointed Think Tank does not have a case large enough for this lens. I did do a test shoot, with Tamron using a 1.4 Converter by Kenko, and a 2X by Tamron. On the 2X I lost AF, but had slow focus on the 1.4 extender. Actually, it what I expected on my 7D.

Upvote 0

Somlu

Canon !Dx
Feb 2, 2014
CarlTN said:
Somlu said:
I have got the lens 2 days back and am initially happy. Basically I don't expect an IQ equivalent to my 500 f4 . It is a very good lens for the budget. I opted for this because I am struggling with my old 100-400 over reach. Iq wise the new Tammy is almost as good as the 100-400 and the extra reach is welcome for a day to day use . The only thing I can complain is a little slower auto focus when it is focused on the other end. Ev en with flying birds I feel OK with the lens. This is an example of the flying rock pigeon with the exif data....

Canon EOS-1D X
06/02/2014 8:44:58 AM
Manual Exposure
1/2500
Evaluative Metering
ISO1000
TAMRON SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD A011
600.0mm
RAW
Auto WB
AI Servo AF
Low-speed continuous shooting

I normally use the 1dx with the 500 mk ii prime. Now this tamron is bought to serve the purpose of birding in the local park with my 5d mk iii for a lesser wt to carry . :D

Upvote 0
Somlu said:
CarlTN said:
Somlu said:
I have got the lens 2 days back and am initially happy. Basically I don't expect an IQ equivalent to my 500 f4 . It is a very good lens for the budget. I opted for this because I am struggling with my old 100-400 over reach. Iq wise the new Tammy is almost as good as the 100-400 and the extra reach is welcome for a day to day use . The only thing I can complain is a little slower auto focus when it is focused on the other end. Ev en with flying birds I feel OK with the lens. This is an example of the flying rock pigeon with the exif data....

Canon EOS-1D X
06/02/2014 8:44:58 AM
Manual Exposure
1/2500
Evaluative Metering
ISO1000
TAMRON SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD A011
600.0mm
RAW
Auto WB
AI Servo AF
Low-speed continuous shooting

I normally use the 1dx with the 500 mk ii prime. Now this tamron is bought to serve the purpose of birding in the local park with my 5d mk iii for a lesser wt to carry . :D

Ah, makes sense.

Upvote 0
dilbert said:
CarlTN said:
dilbert said:
CarlTN said:

The 1DX is $6800.

Indeed, but that was not my point. If one buys a Ferrari, one does not put Enkei wheels on it...and then attempt a run to 200 mph.

In this situation a car metaphor does not work.

It works for me.

Upvote 0

mpphoto

Canon Rumors Premium
Dec 15, 2013
Surfwooder said:
I've been shooting this lens for the last 21 days since I got the lens. I'm very satisfied with the lens itself, but I had a terrible finding a case for it. I finally found the Lowe pro case that fit. I also own the Tamron Sp 200-500mm, it came with a padded case. I was a little disappointed Think Tank does not have a case large enough for this lens.

Which Lowepro case are you using, and are you storing the lens with the tripod collar on and the hood reversed? I'm looking for a case, and started a topic about it in another section of the forum.

Upvote 0