Interview With Canon Executives

jrista

EOL
Dec 3, 2011
jonrista.com
Interesting interview. It was pretty broadly focused, though. I guess I would have liked to have seen more targeted questions about still photography IQ. Canon has it covered in all but one single area, and it seems to be the single biggest area where Canon DSLR customers are complaining: DR. I'm a little surprised they did not directly ask about still photography sensor DR.

Upvote 0
If Canon are finding competition from smartphones are forcing them to leave the low-end compact market, why don't they bring out a good-quality compact/smartphone hybrid? I for one would be a willing customer, although I appreciate one sale isn't going to bankroll their pension fund.

Also I find it rather quaint that they still feel the need to have local markets and products, eg Kiss/Rebel/EosXXX. One would have thought that economies of scale would encourage a more homogenised global product range.

The End.

Upvote 0

eml58

1Dx
Aug 25, 2012
Singapore
Nice Guy, quite talkative for a Japanese head of Company, but what precisely did he say ???

Beats me, as Jrista pointed out, very broad, nothing at all specific about anything in real terms that one could make an informed guess on new products.

After reading this though, the one horrifying concern I had was Canon might put a SIM Card in the next 1D Body :'(.

Upvote 0
eml58 said:
After reading this though, the one horrifying concern I had was Canon might put a SIM Card in the next 1D Body :'(.
They better bring back unlimited data plans if that's the case, because I would use my monthly shared GBs pool 1/10th of the way through a single shoot if I was uploading RAW frames or 1/2 way through with JPEGs. If the next model is a 30+ MP body, we're all screwed ;)

Upvote 0
sanj said:
saveyourmoment said:
"Will still photography be necessary in the age of 4K video?"

Yes, because an 8MB image from a movie with a shutterspeed of 50 will be blurry... if we could shoot video with 160/250 or even higher shutterspeeds around 1000 or more to freeze action, then it will compete dslrs...

for now we only can take images from a 4k video when the subjects aren't moving, or slowly moving at least.
We can.
Sure you could, but video at those shutter speeds looks awful. Unless you are planning on only using the video only for frame grabs.

Upvote 0
mackguyver said:
They better bring back unlimited data plans if that's the case, because I would use my monthly shared GBs pool 1/10th of the way through a single shoot if I was uploading RAW frames or 1/2 way through with JPEGs. If the next model is a 30+ MP body, we're all screwed ;)

Bring back?

I have and have had unlimited data with Sprint for years now. Ironically, my typical month is about 20MB.

Upvote 0
dallasdave22 said:
How about this for a missed question: It's been two Olympics and still no 100-400 mark 2?
LOL ;D. I'm getting really annoyed with my ancient 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 II, and 300 2.8 II IS. The "upgrade" money is really burning a hole in my pocket and if they don't upgrade all of these this year, I'm switching to Nikon ;) ;) ;)

Upvote 0
9VIII said:
At this point it wouldn't surprise me if the 7D2 is very heavy on video features, and given the "unlimited" comments, I'm also looking forward to the next 1D more than ever.

Actually, from the interview I think it is clear what they are going to do.

The 7DII will have the 70D sensor, but will use the video mode to implement sweep-panorama with an HDR option. Hey presto: unlimited resolution and dynamic range - and best of all, no need for a new sensor :)

Upvote 0
mackguyver said:
dallasdave22 said:
How about this for a missed question: It's been two Olympics and still no 100-400 mark 2?
LOL ;D. I'm getting really annoyed with my ancient 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 II, and 300 2.8 II IS. The "upgrade" money is really burning a hole in my pocket and if they don't upgrade all of these this year, I'm switching to Nikon ;) ;) ;)

Is anyone who wants a new 100-400mm still waiting, or have they just gone out and bought the Tamron 150-600? Just another area where Canon are under pressure... anyone desperate for a 35mm f/1.4L update, or hace they just bought the Sigma 35mm f/ 1.4 Art?

Upvote 0
LetTheRightLensIn said:
Usually those shooters tend to use faster glass
Not with the 1DX it seems. Watching the Olympics last month, it looked like most the indoor area shooters were using the 200-400 1.4x. Just a few years ago, that wasn't the case, but it looks like f/4 is now fast enough for many indoor sports. I doubt it's fast enough for hockey (it was hard to see what they were shooting with) but apparently worked well for figure skating and such.

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
MarkII said:
9VIII said:
At this point it wouldn't surprise me if the 7D2 is very heavy on video features, and given the "unlimited" comments, I'm also looking forward to the next 1D more than ever.

Actually, from the interview I think it is clear what they are going to do.

The 7DII will have the 70D sensor, but will use the video mode to implement sweep-panorama with an HDR option. Hey presto: unlimited resolution and dynamic range - and best of all, no need for a new sensor :)

Along those lines, I'm really looking forward to the implementation of single shot HDR. If you could use digital curtains and pack 1/125, 1/500, and 1/2000 exposures into a single 1/60 shot, then you'd have a hand holdable (for most lenses) single click method of producing HDR images.
It doesn't sound that complicated to implement, does anyone know of a camera that does it already?

Upvote 0
9VIII said:
Along those lines, I'm really looking forward to the implementation of single shot HDR. If you could use digital curtains and pack 1/125, 1/500, and 1/2000 exposures into a single 1/60 shot, then you'd have a hand holdable (for most lenses) single click method of producing HDR images.
It doesn't sound that complicated to implement, does anyone know of a camera that does it already?

I'd go so far as to make use of the dual pixel architecture, just read the diodes with different amplifications, esp as. Canon doesn't have an de facto ISO-free sensor.

Upvote 0