Lens Filter for 70-200mm f2.8 IS II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 17, 2011
Hi Guys,
Thanks to jhubson1 for the $400 of saving on a new 70-200mm f2.8 IS II lens.

To be honest...this is my first "L" lens purchase as Brand New. All my other lenses were purchased used, but I do like them all.

I need a filter for this lens. The main reason I need a filter is to protect the front glass from dust and scratches - and YES the lens hood will be attached to the lens.

I don't want to loose alot of light due to the filter.

Any suggestion guys?

Thank you,
Dylan

When I first got into photography, I tried to research as much as I could and one thing was filters. I read about Tiffen, to Hoya to B+W and pricy Heliopan. In the end I went with B+W because I didn't want to compromise the image quality or budget any more than I needed to. I didn't go with Hoya because I read that they were harder to clean and their aluminum ring sometimes make it hard to take on and off. B+W and I think Heliopan use brass rings.

But no matter what filter you get, make sure you it has multi-coating. B+W has both non multi-coated and multi-coated. double check! (almost made this mistake)

(I use B+W MRC Clear UV filter because it was cheaper than the clear protective filter. no idea why)

Upvote 0
R

Ryusui

Add another B+W user to the list.

I also just bought the 70-200 thanks to the massive savings. And on the same purchase I added the B+W MRC UV filter. I've easily spent over 30 hours (non-consecutive, of course!) on researching filters, and overall the B+W seemed to be a better choice.

Zo0m said:
Why be a cheepskate with filters when you buy a fancy lens for 2000usd?
I hear you on this. I work in a camera store and I can't count how many times photographers cheap out on their filter. It makes me cringe every time I have to ring up a basic Hoya or Kenko for someone's high-end lens after having explained the benefits of the B+W.

Then again...I can't begin to tell you how many "professional" photographers we have out here shooting exclusively in green mode.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.