Not open for further replies.

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<div name="googleone_share_1" style="position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; /*margin: 70px 0 0 0;*/ top:70px; right:120px; width:0;"><g:plusone size="tall" count="1" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/04/zeiss-135mm-f2-apo-sonnar-t-ze-in-stock-at-bh/"></g:plusone></div><div style="float: right; margin:0 0 70px 70px;"><a href="https://twitter.com/share" class="twitter-share-button" data-count="vertical" data-url="http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/04/zeiss-135mm-f2-apo-sonnar-t-ze-in-stock-at-bh/">Tweet</a></div>
<p><strong>Limited Stock

</strong>B&H has limited stock of the Zeiss 135mm f/2 APO Sonnar T* for Canon in stock and ready to ship.</p>
<p><strong><a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/909189-REG/Zeiss_1999_675_135mm_f_2_0_Apo_Sonnar_ZE.html/bi/2466/kbid/3296" target="_blank">Buy the Zeiss 135 f/2 APO Sonnar T* $2122</a></strong></p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

eml58

1Dx
Aug 26, 2012
Singapore
Re: Zeiss 135mm f/2 Apo Sonnar T* ZE in Stock at B&H

Ok, I'll start the ball rolling.

I own the Canon 135f/2, I admit up front I have never owned a Zeiss Lens, but I've heard/read great things about them, but, the Canon 135f/2 is just a superb Lens, would the Zeiss be any better do you think ?? I understand the Zeiss lenses are Manual Focus, and for me although not a Killer, I have the 17 24 TSE Canons, it does make life a little more difficult, I sold my Leica M9 for this reason, lovely camera but the Manual Focus became an issue for me (Age Factor). Si I'm really interested to hear opinions on the Zeiss versus the Canon.

Upvote 0

eml58

1Dx
Aug 26, 2012
Singapore

Dylan777 said:
Would be nice if this has AF. I love my 35mm f2 Zeiss on my RX1 - solid & sharp.

Will wait for rumor Sigma Art 135mm f1.8 OS ;D

Hi Dylan777, but I think (not sure) the Sigma Art 135 f/1.8 is designed for APSC ?? I use FF (Except I do still have a 1DMK IV), so may not be of much use on FF, but I do own the Sigma Art 35f/1.4 and I find that a very good Lens.

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida

eml58 said:
Dylan777 said:
Would be nice if this has AF. I love my 35mm f2 Zeiss on my RX1 - solid & sharp.

Hi Dylan777, but I think (not sure) the Sigma Art 135 f/1.8 is designed for APSC ?? I use FF (Except I do still have a 1DMK IV), so may not be of much use on FF, but I do own the Sigma Art 35f/1.4 and I find that a very good Lens.

In Sigma Langua DC=APSC, DG=FF so the party is on!

Upvote 0

brad-man said:
eml58 said:
Dylan777 said:

...except, of course, that the Sigma lens is only a rumor, with no official announcement from Sigma.

(Which, incidentally, is exactly how Canon should have handled the 200-400 but didn't....)

Cheers,

b&

Upvote 0
Mar 27, 2012

eml58 said:
Ok, I'll start the ball rolling.

I own the Canon 135f/2, I admit up front I have never owned a Zeiss Lens, but I've heard/read great things about them, but, the Canon 135f/2 is just a superb Lens, would the Zeiss be any better do you think ?? I understand the Zeiss lenses are Manual Focus, and for me although not a Killer, I have the 17 24 TSE Canons, it does make life a little more difficult, I sold my Leica M9 for this reason, lovely camera but the Manual Focus became an issue for me (Age Factor). Si I'm really interested to hear opinions on the Zeiss versus the Canon.

I use Canon 135L as well as 24 TSE II and have owned MF Zeiss. Manual-focusing a wide angle is WORLDS easier than 135mm, so if MF is already an issue with Leica, I would stick with Canon 135L, which as we all know is a superb lens. Who knows, from preliminary reports, the Zeiss 135 may have less CA and sharper wide open, but do we really need sharper than 135L? Zeiss also costs double the current 135L street price and is heavier.

Upvote 0

eml58

1Dx
Aug 26, 2012
Singapore

TrumpetPower! said:
brad-man said:
eml58 said:
Dylan777 said:

...except, of course, that the Sigma lens is only a rumor, with no official announcement from Sigma.

(Which, incidentally, is exactly how Canon should have handled the 200-400 but didn't....)

Cheers,

b&

Spot on, about the 200-400

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida

TrumpetPower! said:
brad-man said:
eml58 said:
Dylan777 said:

Cheers,

b&

No No No. This is CANON Rumors. Most things said here about Canon are suspect. But things said about Sigma have to be true!

Upvote 0

drjlo said:
I use Canon 135L as well as 24 TSE II and have owned MF Zeiss. Manual-focusing a wide angle is WORLDS easier than 135mm, so if MF is already an issue with Leica, I would stick with Canon 135L, which as we all know is a superb lens. Who knows, from preliminary reports, the Zeiss 135 may have less CA and sharper wide open, but do we really need sharper than 135L? Zeiss also costs double the current 135L street price and is heavier.

+1

At wide aperatures and portrait ranges the DOF with a 135mm are razor thin. Manual focus would be a difficult and time consuming. I'm extremely happy with my Canon 135L, I can easily ignore this lens when/if it does go into production.

Upvote 0

Manual focus is NOT difficult with the Zeiss - as long as the subject is not moving of course - even on distant subjects, because it is amazingly clear wide open. It pops in the viewfinder more than with any other lens I have ever used.

Lloyd Chambers has tested it against the 135L. Yes it is better corrected and sharper, especially at wider apertures. But it's only the beginning of the story. The Zeiss is a new design which will do justice to the future high MP sensors, likely more than the 135L is capable of.

Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011

[/quote]

[/quote]

Cheers,

b&
[/quote]

Well...this IS a RUMOR site????

Upvote 0

bholliman said:
drjlo said:

+1

Photozone.de even mentioned how hard it was for them to focus the zeiss 100mm f2 makro. on all accounts a fine lens with near perfect performance, but hard to focus accurately.

At wide aperatures and portrait ranges the DOF with a 135mm are razor thin. Manual focus would be a difficult and time consuming. I'm extremely happy with my Canon 135L, I can easily ignore this lens when/if it does go into production.

Upvote 0

risc32 said:
bholliman said:
drjlo said:

+1

Photozone.de even mentioned how hard it was for them to focus the zeiss 100mm f2 makro. on all accounts a fine lens with near perfect performance, but hard to focus accurately.

I guess it is a matter of personal preference. I personally find manual focusing far more precise than AF. Moreover, according to B&H, the Zeiss 135mm has a 268° focus ring. I agree, however, that this is really not a glass that is going to fit everyone!

Upvote 0
May 12, 2011

Zeiss is sharper, as expected. And for the person asking whether it would really be worth the difference since the 135L is so great, I'll tell you this: I loved my 100L Macro, but I really, really, really love my ZE100 (even though it was 2x the price and doesn't have AF or IS).

I'd love to replace my 14LII with the ZE 15, but $3k for 1 UWA prime just seems silly to me. Might get the ZE 135 eventually, but I'm happy with my 135L and dont use the focal length too much anyways.

Upvote 0
May 12, 2011

bholliman said:
+1

Have you ever shot extensively with Zeiss lenses? The throw is so much longer and it has AF confirmation, it's far easier to shoot in manual mode on one of them than it is a Canon lens.

Upvote 0

At the beginning of my journey/career I too thought "But it's manual focus...".. Then I actually tried it...

For events and action, you really should go AF. For everything else, MF works just fine... And Zeiss rules is AWESOME in that world!

This lens is on my list for sure.... Someday.. ;)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.