Will Canon Stopped Develop EF Lens Line Up?

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Just wonder whether Canon will stopped develop EF lens line up any time soon?
In the next few months/years Canon will release a lot of new RF lenses (and bodies) to establish this MILC system against Nikon and Sony in the market.
Of course this has tied up and in future will tie up a relevant amount of R&D resources.
So we will see a lot less EF/EF-S releases.
I cannot tell if this means the end to the EF line.
I suppose that some relevant EF lenses will still be updated.
I also suppose that some lenses, esp. primes like the EF50/1.4, won't see any successor anymore.
And as mentioned by Del Paso we saw a lot of interesting releases in the last months/years.
Some could interpret that this was a final big wave on this, so not 100% sure on this.
But...

If yes, perhaps time to jump ship to R or others mirrorless?
But even if there are really no EF/EF-S lenses anymore I don't see any reason to hurry and react in panic.
It all depends on you actual gear setup and if you have gaps to fill.
If not, just sit back and wait what Canon will do throughout the next two years.
AND even if you decide to change to the R system the adapters and the AF performance of EF lenses seem so good that you don't need to exchange everything good by something just slightly better or smaller, or lighter.

Right now the EOS R body and the now available 3 lenses don't make me move a millimeter.
BUT I am interested and quite exited on the potentials of the R system and what Canon will deliver here in near future.
Typical gearhead.

AFAI can say from Canon statements the M system and EF-M lenses are not affected here.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I’m stuck now as I not sure whether I should continue invest in EF lens since the future is obvious the RF lens...
Canon’s head of imaging product development explicitly stated that DSLR and EF lens development would continue in parallel with mirrorless. Not sure why you’re ‘stuck’.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I’m stuck now as I not sure whether I should continue invest in EF lens since the future is obvious the RF lens...

I have a R, but have yet to buy any RF lenses. Many who own R's also own DSLR's and will continue to buy and use EF lenses simply because they work on both. Canon is certainly hoping that buyers will select R cameras in the future, but t will be years before any significant number are out in general use. I expect new EF lenses will be released for at least 10 years, but it could be longer if buyers keep on wanting them.

RF lenses are the future, but its pretty far off for now.

I've been using my 5D MK IV alongside my R, I like both, but the MK IV is definitely the better camera.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
I have a R, but have yet to buy any RF lenses. Many who own R's also own DSLR's and will continue to buy and use EF lenses simply because they work on both. Canon is certainly hoping that buyers will select R cameras in the future, but t will be years before any significant number are out in general use. I expect new EF lenses will be released for at least 10 years, but it could be longer if buyers keep on wanting them.

RF lenses are the future, but its pretty far off for now.

I've been using my 5D MK IV alongside my R, I like both, but the MK IV is definitely the better camera.

My original plan was to replaced my 6D on around 2018 ~ 2019 with a 5DIV.

And things got complicated, based on the media, obviously mirrorless will be the future, and Canon launches a RF 28-70mm & 50mm F1.2 hands down every competitor, this meant Canon is seriously moving towards to mirrorless just as what they did during 80s with the EF mount announcement.

If we have a choice, I believe most people would prefer native than adapted lens. As some has reported native lens focus faster on the EOS R than adapted one.

Not thing to switch, but it seems a bit tough to decide which lens mount should invest. Either upgrade to EOS R or continue the initial plan go for the 5DIV.

Thank you.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
...this meant Canon is seriously moving towards to mirrorless just as what they did during 80s with the EF mount announcement.
With FD to EF, Canon stated they were switching and would stop making FD lenses (although in fact, they did make one more). With EF and RF, Canon states they will continue to develop both. See the difference?

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
There is a compelling reason to buy certain EF lenses even if you own an RF body. That is the drop in filter adapter. It's not like the introduction of RF lenses means the EF lenses are now second rate and surely a serious landscape photographer would see the RF body with EF lenses and drop in adapter as a compelling option

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
With FD to EF, Canon stated they were switching and would stop making FD lenses (although in fact, they did make one more). With EF and RF, Canon states they will continue to develop both. See the difference?

There is a difference. The R mount was designed to be able to use EF and EF-s lenses.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
My guess is that most buyers of the R either have EF lenses that they will be using, or will still be buying EF lenses over the next year or two. There just aren't enough RF lenses yet.

It depends a lot on if you really want any of the new RF lenses. If so, you might seriously consider the R. If not, and you usually own a camera for 5 years or less, than there is no reason not to get the 5D IV now and then go R in the future if you want.

Upvote 0
My guess is that most buyers of the R either have EF lenses that they will be using, or will still be buying EF lenses over the next year or two. There just aren't enough RF lenses yet.

It depends a lot on if you really want any of the new RF lenses. If so, you might seriously consider the R. If not, and you usually own a camera for 5 years or less, than there is no reason not to get the 5D IV now and then go R in the future if you want.

Hi dak723,

Thanks for the comment.

Yes, I am the person who will keep my camera long time. Just thinking to get a higher megapixels camera as I may start to print some of my works in larger print.

5DIV is a very compelling option from a 6D shooter points of view, it has higher megapixels, better weather sealing and not to mention the AF capabilities.

However, after the R released, it’s seems a cheaper option of a 5DIV in mirrorless form, although the weather seal is not up to 5D level. Others than that, its checked almost all the boxes of my next camera expectations.

I do not need IBIS, eye AF, 4K full frame, and I’m totally fine with single card slot. Personally I prefer optical viewfinder than EVF, but I like the mirrorless form with 5DIV capabilities (at least it is close).

I have some good lens, 16-35 f4, 70-200 f2.8, 24-105 f4, 50mm f1.4, 40 f2.8, 85 f1.8 and a couple of Tamron lens. I am currently thinking to purchase a 35 f1.4 and a 85 f1.2 or 1.4 which are my dream lens for long time to suit my today shooting style.

Currently, 5DIV is USD600 higher than EOS R from where I can get today. It seems the 5DIV still hold its price very well no matter how many reviewers are keep condemning 5DIV and make it look like a worst camera in the world.

Well, thanks again for the suggestions, I will definitely look back and reconsider 5DIV as my next purchase.

Thank you.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I shot with my R and my 5D MK IV last week, over 1000 shots each in low light that went to ISO 40000. The AF using the R had fewer misses, but both were very good. At the very high ISO's, blowing out highlights was a big issue, I used a -1 ec or even more, and still got a lot of blown highlights, usually where I was at a wide angle and there was a light near the edge of the shot. Its easy to boost the exposure by a stop in post processing. This was the same for both cameras.

At the price differential of $600, I'd get the R. Unless you are doing fast moving subjects like birds in flight, its equally good, and its value will be higher in another 2 years because the 5D IV will be discontinued and the R still current.

RF lenses will have several more options in a year, but you can keep using the EF lenses indefinitely, just picking up a RF lens when it offers something you need.

I keep my R here next to my PC because it takes up less space and focus is more accurate. It does use the battery faster, but not a issue, I did not have to change batteries last week with the 1000 shots over 3 hours, but when it got down to 25% and I did not know how much longer I needed to use it, I hooked up my USB Battery with my Case Relay, it has the capacity of multiple camera batteries, and works on my 5D IV as well. I also had a adapter to use with my EOS R.

Upvote 0
I shot with my R and my 5D MK IV last week, over 1000 shots each in low light that went to ISO 40000. The AF using the R had fewer misses, but both were very good. At the very high ISO's, blowing out highlights was a big issue, I used a -1 ec or even more, and still got a lot of blown highlights, usually where I was at a wide angle and there was a light near the edge of the shot. Its easy to boost the exposure by a stop in post processing. This was the same for both cameras.

At the price differential of $600, I'd get the R. Unless you are doing fast moving subjects like birds in flight, its equally good, and its value will be higher in another 2 years because the 5D IV will be discontinued and the R still current.

RF lenses will have several more options in a year, but you can keep using the EF lenses indefinitely, just picking up a RF lens when it offers something you need.

I keep my R here next to my PC because it takes up less space and focus is more accurate. It does use the battery faster, but not a issue, I did not have to change batteries last week with the 1000 shots over 3 hours, but when it got down to 25% and I did not know how much longer I needed to use it, I hooked up my USB Battery with my Case Relay, it has the capacity of multiple camera batteries, and works on my 5D IV as well. I also had a adapter to use with my EOS R.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Do you think outer AF point of R performed better than 5DIV in low light? Because R AF point covered almost edge to edge, wonder if those AF points performed the same as the center one.

Mind to share some photo for the R and 5DIV under ISO 40,000. Any banding found?

Well, I’m not kinda of person who will under exposed by 5.5 stops and recover shadow in Lightroom... I heard many pro are doing that from the YouTube review. I’m not a pro, but I will try to keep exposure right when taking a photo.

Thank you.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Canon’s head of imaging product development explicitly stated that DSLR and EF lens development would continue in parallel with mirrorless. Not sure why you’re ‘stuck’.
I'd say the same if I were Canon's Head of Imaging Product Development even if it was not what I was intending to do. It would be daft to say anything else. When Canon went from FD to EF it was a completely different era. There would be a massive backlash today if Canon announced that now. They will just let it happen slowly. The odd EF lens will come out over the next few years (for me honestly they are running out of improvement options, they reached close to perfection on many of the L lens).
If MILC is not working out they will have kept their options open but their strategy is to get out of EF.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
The R system offers some advantages as to the development of ultrawides, but none at all when it comes to tele lenses.
So, buying EF lenses is in many cases the best solution, since both DSLR and mirrorless can be fitted with them. Additionally, there are so many EOS DSLR on the market, that, for a profit-focused company like Canon, it would be plain silly to discontinue the EF production soon. My next lens will be either the EF 1,4/85 or the RF 1,2/50, depending (maybe) on my wife...;)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
If MILC is not working out they will have kept their options open but their strategy is to get out of EF.
That’s good to know, we so rarely get insights into their corporate strategy from people with direct inside knowledge of it. Unfortunately for you, if Canon reads your post they will most likely fire you for breaching your confidentiality agreement. :rolleyes:

Instead of making up alternative facts, we could consider relying on logic. Canon is a business, as such their goal is to return value to their shareholders and make a profit, and a very logical way to do so is to develop and sell products people want to buy. Over 60% of ILC buyers are purchasing DSLRs. A corporate strategy to exit the dominant segment of the market would be rather stupid. So either Canon really is stupid, or the suggestion that it’s their strategy to exit the EF lens market is ridiculous.

Sorry, but in a fight between logic and inanity, logic is going to win every time.

• Haha
Upvote 0