What’s next from Canon in 2020?

I'm using an EOS R for wildlife photography despite all the negativity it's received for this purpose. I'm using the RF to EF converter with the 400 F 5.6 L prime, sometimes the 1.4 extender II and I get terrific results. I will be upgrading my telephoto this year and hope that a 400 or 500 DO prime is released for the RF mount. I'd be happy with them being F 4 as long as there is IS. It'd be really nice to know what he heck Canon plans on doing though. It's getting a bit frustrating trying to decide what route to go!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
Given two sensors with nearly identical pixel density....

30MP Canon EOS R / 5D4 on 400mm lens = effective 400mm reach

32MP Canon 90D on 400mm lens = effective 640mm reach
But take an 80MP R5s/R3 and a 90D and you are in the same place. It still has nothing to do with the size of the sensor, just the pixel pitch (i.e. density). BTW, I think you meant pixel count, not pixel density.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Dragon

May 29, 2019
Oregon
Is there literally no news about the 5DV? Not even a CR1-level rumor?

I'm worried that Canon is going to focus too much on mirrorless and leave us with nothing but the 1DX3.
They just gave you a new Rebel :). Seriously, I suspect they will pop out several R series bodies and see what the market reaction is and then decide whether to release more DSLRs. All the EF lenses will work fine and any normal DSLR is not going to be able to match the FPS of the Rs without the machine gun mechanism that has to be in the 1DX3 and if you go mirror up for electronic shutter, then you lose the viewfinder. They want you to play with an R first and see if you love it. If enough don't, then you may see a 5D5, but probably not this year.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
But take an 80MP R5s/R3 and a 90D and you are in the same place. It still has nothing to do with the size of the sensor, just the pixel pitch (i.e. density). BTW, I think you meant pixel count, not pixel density.
I amended that in a subsequent post, densoty vs count. But I was specifically trying to use very similar resolution sensors from a current crop and current FF body. Obviously having a radically higher resolution FF body (like 80-100MP) makes it a moot point

Upvote 0

Dragon

May 29, 2019
Oregon
it would make little difference downsampling from 5.5k to 4k versus downsampling from 6k to 4k.
It makes little difference in the theoretical IQ, but it makes a huge difference in the required math to do the down sampling. The 3:2 (i.e. 9:4 spatial) filter is relatively easy. Random ratios are a lot harder because they require dynamic coefficients as you move across the page.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dragon

May 29, 2019
Oregon
I amended that in a subsequent post, densoty vs count. But I was specifically trying to use very similar resolution sensors from a current crop and current FF body. Obviously having a radically higher resolution FF body (like 80-100MP) makes it a moot point
The new AA filter premiered in the iDX3 will also help. The 90D has a pretty aggressive AA filter. Enough so that I don't see too much difference in detail between the 90D and the 5DSR (no AAF). I think the AAF is important for a lot of subjects, so a filter with a sharper cut-off (i.e. less early MTF loss) will be welcome. It is hard, because you don't have the option of negative filter coefficients (i.e. no darkons available).

Upvote 0

Dragon

May 29, 2019
Oregon
Good to know. Any good options out there or are we hoping they develop one for this?
The released TC images have protruding elements, so they are not meant for the 70-200. Historically, Kenko and Tamron have had the only decent non-protruding TCs, so time will tell if either jumps into the ring to support what will probably be a relatively few lenses that don't accept the Canon TCs. Depending on the exit angle from the rear element, some lenses may not work well at all with TCs and this is clearly a bigger issue with the short back throw of mirrorless. The protruding elements are there to catch the light at a sensible beam diameter for the majority of lenses that support TCs.

Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
the R5 will be around 40-45MP - it's really not going to be 70MP in my opinion and hit 20fps. you're thinking the wrong camera.

the R5s will be over 80 and IMO possibly even over 100MP

Cheers, canonnews...
Yes, I don't EXPECT the R5 to be 70MP, - rather I was just stating that 40-70MP is my ideal range of "megapickles" for a FF mirrorless 'do it all' body. ;)

In one sense I'd love a 100MP 50fps beast with a medium format sensor, f/1.0 lenses - which combined are still small and inexpensive, but hey, we all know that's not gonna!! Can't break them laws 'o physics!

Really appreciate your input here on the CR forum, mate. Cheers!

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Is there literally no news about the 5DV? Not even a CR1-level rumor?

I'm worried that Canon is going to focus too much on mirrorless and leave us with nothing but the 1DX3.
They are doing 4 FF cameras this year, we know 3 of them, if 4th is the high-megapixel mirrorless camera (which is not taken for granted), then we can expect the 5D Mark V next year, which would explain why there is no rumour about it yet. They might have the technology to put IBIS in it, too - or price it lower than the R5 due to the lack of it, keeping it more simple.

Upvote 0

hne

Gear limits your creativity
Jan 8, 2016
If the RF 2x converter doesn't fit the RF 70-200/2.8L, what is it supposed to be used with? The RF 85/1.2L has its rear element pretty much sticking out of the bayonet. The RF 100-500/4.5-7.1 becomes a 200-1000/9-14 resulting in a whopping 5000 ISO needed to reach 1/1000s action-stopping shutter speeds on an Ev 12 overcast day.
There has got to be something way faster coming soon, or Canon wants people to stack a mount converter on the tele converter.

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2018
Given two sensors with nearly identical pixel density....
30MP Canon EOS R / 5D4 on 400mm lens = effective 400mm reach
32MP Canon 90D on 400mm lens = effective 640mm reach
There is a lot more than this to the story
- Yes, you gain 1.6x in reach
- You loose 2.56 times the light or about 1.3 stops so a f4 lens becomes an effective f6.4; f5.6 becomes an effective ~f9
- A crop sensor requires lenses that resolve "1.6^2=2.56 times" as well if measured in resolution (lenses for 32MP aps-c sensor should be designed for 82MP ff equivalent)
- Crop sensors reach the diffraction limit 1.6 times faster, the 90D has a diffraction limit around f5.1

Edits: clarifications and multiplier for diffraction (thanks for comments)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

They are doing 4 FF cameras this year, we know 3 of them, if 4th is the high-megapixel mirrorless camera (which is not taken for granted), then we can expect the 5D Mark V next year, which would explain why there is no rumour about it yet. They might have the technology to put IBIS in it, too - or price it lower than the R5 due to the lack of it, keeping it more simple.

IBIS seems to be impossible for a mirrored camera. Both Nikon and Canon have said or at least hinted at this when asked. I would also not expect the lack of ibis to lower the cost of a DSLR, it’s a bigger body with more moving parts... or at least it is free profit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0