The Canon EOS R5 will have an SD & CFExpress slot [CR2]

I’d be okay with it if I could primarily write to the CFExpress card while the camera writes to the SD card in the background.

If not, no thank you. I’ll see what the R1 does.

It is insane we gotten to the point when someone takes a pass on a camera due to memory cards, when the rumor suggest the card slots will be class leading, but I guess by not far enough. What are you using now that is better or adequate? Have we really gotten to the point where UHSII cards are too slow for our needs?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
People are going to buy a hideously expensive Canon R5 camera and suddenly can't afford the CF express cards for it? The high speed SD UHS-II cards are not dramatically less expensive.
Sandisk 128MB UHSII SD (300MB/s)= £86
Sandisk 128MB CFExpress (1700MB/s)= £234

So there is a fairly big difference

• Haha
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
It is insane we gotten to the point when someone takes a pass on a camera due to memory cards, when the rumor suggest the card slots will be class leading, but I guess by not far enough. What are you using now that is better or adequate? Have we really gotten to the point where UHSII cards are too slow for our needs?
There always seems to be persons who think they have a use case that the new camera can't deliver on, based on rumored or imagined camera specs. One or more of these persons always seem to find their way Canon Rumors to tell us about it.

Upvote 0
Sandisk 128MB UHSII SD (300MB/s)= £86
Sandisk 128MB CFExpress (1700MB/s)= £234

So there is a fairly big difference
Can you provide a link to that SD card? I see the Sandisk card at 199-249 in UK: https://www.jessops.com/p/sandisk/extreme-pro-sdxc-300mb-s-128gb-uhs-ii-memory-card-133889 and https://www.wexphotovideo.com/sandisk-128gb-extreme-pro-300mbs-uhs-ii-sdxc-card-1605500/

CFE and top spec UHS-II SD cards are very similarly priced. You only save money having the SD slot if you already have a bunch of UHS-II SD cards or if you don't require top buffer/write speed nor redundancy and can just use a UHS-I or lower performance UHS-II card in the SD slot.

Upvote 0
There are only two Canon DSLR cameras that ever had matching card slots. The 1DX and now the 1DXIII. Just look how crippled the 1DXII was with a "fast" C-Fast slot and an ancient CF slot (but don't forget that "fast" C-fast writes at 450, Sony UHS-II SD can do 300 so they aren't miles apart). Remember the fastest CF cards are only half the write speed of a UHS-II SD slot that everyone seems to have a huge problem with all of a sudden. I don't see how anyone could have expected the R5 with that small of a body to cram in two CFE card slots. This arrangement is the best it was ever going to be. Maybe, just maybe a future R1 will get a larger body and have dual CFE.

In the future if Type A CFE starts to become a thing then that will likely be a good solution as they can get up to 1000 theoretical and the card are smaller than SD....oh wait....cue the complaints about losing the things or fumbling with gloves on etc.....:rolleyes:

Upvote 0

mpeeps

Lovin' life on the Central Coast
CR Pro
Dec 5, 2013
California
www.mpeeples.com
Well, you are missing a second card slot in R, for starters. Therefore recording of a second file to the same card is..how?
Did you read my post? Obviously not. Both file types to the card on the R and one of each type to two cards on DSLR. I don't know about you, but I can go into menus and adjust how large to record each type of file - jpg and raw - onto my card(s). My only point was that.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
There are issues in running both cards concurrently, with raw going to one card and Jpg going to the other. The SD cards have a much slower read / write speed. If the camera writes to the SD card, then the buffer is generally a lot smaller.
I first noticed this with a 5DIII, when switching between shooting weddings at weekends and wildlife during the week. I would use the 2nd card slot for jpgs. When I then went to shoot wildlife, my max buffer drops to around 4-5 shots. If I set RAW only and on the CF card, the buffer is up to 10-11 shots. I believe it's the same issue for the 5D4 / 5DSR too.
5D III max write speed SD: (x133) = around 20Mb/S, The 5DIII holds 12 raw images in buffer. Supposedly, it's about 17 RAW if the memory card is fast enough. JPEG buffer is basically infinite. RAW+JPEG buffer is good for only 6 or 7 shots.
5D IV write speed SD: around 78Mb/S, 19 shot buffer capacity , 36 shots until camera would slow down. up to 18 shots writing to both cards.

5D III recording to both cards was quite a disappointment..5D IV - not so much :)

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Did you read my post? Obviously not. Both file types to the card on the R and one of each type to two cards on DSLR. I don't know about you, but I can go into menus and adjust how large to record each type of file - jpg and raw - onto my card(s). My only point was that.
i did read your post, otherwise I would not asked the question I asked. however. I formed the question incorrectly. I typically record to both card fro redundancy. when writing to the same card with RAW +JPG, do you use OOC JPG for an instant image delivery to your client?

Upvote 0
Aye, I can imagine the camera runs heavily crippled on a 300 MB/s card vs the 1200MB/s write of the slowest CFExpress card. It’ll likely reduce a lot of the video modes and greatly reduce the frame rate.

The GH5's 4K 4:2:2 10 bit video is 50 MBps, their standard 4K 4:2:0 8 bit is 15 MBps. The only video people who will notice the difference between recordings on the SD card and CFExpress card will be colorists and pixel peepers.

• Haha
Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
Have we really gotten to the point where UHSII cards are too slow for our needs?
Yes. Exactly.

That is what happens when you spec 12 fps at 45 MP (rumored, but these are all rumors): 12 x 45 = 540 MB/sec. With Canon, as ISO increases so does MB/MP, usually up to ~1.5x. So 12 fps x 60 MB/frame = 720 MB/sec. At least in the EOS-R, UHS-II was only writing at a maximum of 182 MB/sec. So, the math is pretty simple, yes, UHS II is too slow to support the specs of this camera. Thus, it gets down to buffer how long that 12 fps spec will hold if you are concerned about fps over a few seconds because after that buffer is filled and once you are writing directly to your UHS II card, you are looking at 3-4 fps.

I am not saying the R5 won't be a great camera. I am not saying the R5 will not be an improvement over the 5DIV. I am not saying the R5 won't be used for many amazing purposes. Personally, I am considering buying an R5.

But, Canon has a history of small buffers in the 5D line. About 2 to 2.5 seconds. If that holds true, then, in certain circumstances, I will likely turn off the SD card and only write to the CFE card and the 12 fps spec (and 20 fps spec for that matter) should be able to be continuous. So, in a way, this is a very nice compromise in that you do have the 12 fps continues by turning off the SD card or you do have the opportunity to write to two card slots but the speed will slow after the buffer is filled. For me, I would have preferred two CFE slots, but this is not the end of the world.

But, UHS II cards cannot keep up with the specs of the R5. CFE can. So yes, we have gotten to the point where UHS II cards are too slow. This is why you have the CFE, XQD and other formats. As for "our" needs, that really depends on the photographer. But, if you track complaints people have about Sony cameras, pretty high on the list, at least that I hear, is that if you rattle off a series of shots, it takes a fairly long time for the buffer to clear to their UHS II cards and the camera is frozen during that time. Granted, Canon let's you write and do things during that time. One of the many reasons I like Canon.

As to the importance, as I've seen a few comments go by on this, all I can say is slower fps have impacted my photography far more than DR ever has.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
My quote was for a Sandisk 1700/1200. For comparison a brand new R is $2500 as of now. FWIW my lowest ever paid job was $16 pr hour working retail. Average pay for a year is $60.000 here and $49000 in the US, so not crazy difference.
We pay 25% VAT on everything also. And average 25-30% tax on our salary. So it’s not that it’s just crazy expensive here, although it feels like it :p

my son needs a hearing aid, I just checked the price without insurance in the US, $50.000, he gets it for free, zip, zero, nothing.

Do you not also pay income taxes....to your equivalents to our local/state/federal governments?

Or is everything ONLY VAT tax over there?

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

The GH5's 4K 4:2:2 10 bit video is 50 MBps, their standard 4K 4:2:0 8 bit is 15 MBps. The only video people who will notice the difference between recordings on the SD card and CFExpress card will be colorists and pixel peepers.

That example is all well and good and the R5 will likely be able to match it. But will the SD slot allow 8k recording or 4k 120fps?

I still very much feel if you put in the much slower card you'll end up with a feature limited camera, perhaps not in areas that matter to you, but they will matter to someone. I will only invest in CFE cards, SD is too up in the air until SDE or CFE type A takes over.

Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
What's curious is that the a9 doesn't take a DR hit when using the ES, but the 1DX mk. III does. Must have faster architecture? I hope the R1 (in contrast to the 1DX mk. III) has lighting-fast readout, enough to make ES viable in 95% of shooting conditions.

the A9 doesn’t have Sony’s typical outstanding DR to begin with. It’s a stacked sensor, which means that there’s a buffer on the chip where the image is stored very briefly before it’s read. IIRC it’s not a true global sensor but it’s quite close. All that extra circuitry likely adds a bit of noise.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Lots of detailed R5 images :)

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0