The Canon EOS R5 will have an SD & CFExpress slot [CR2]

Canon has enough experience selling cameras with mismatched dual-card slots (all 5D series) and cameras with matching dual-card slots (1DX) to make an informed decision as to what the market bears. While I'm a bit surprised at the amount of angst on having mismatched slots, I believe that there would have been a bigger outcry if they were both CFExpress due to cost concerns.
it's a no win situation.

if it was dual CFE people would be ranting ... I'm not spending an extra $500 on cards for this damned camera!

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
Lots of detailed R5 images :)

Don't know if this is a legit site, however, either they have photos of two versions of the R5 (prototype and production?), or two different new R series cameras. Did anyone else notice the Smart Controller instead of the Joysitck on the third photo ?

Also, what is the hole (rear microphone?) in the lcd pullout slot?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Don't know if this is a legit site, however, either they have photos of two versions of the R5 (prototype and production?), or two different new R series cameras. Did anyone else notice the Smart Controller instead of the Joysitck on the third photo ?

In the third photo that's just a front on view of the joystick, not a smart controller at all to my eyes..

Upvote 0
What on earth do you mean? I think your on the wrong thread, this is about Canon EOS R5 and what memory Canon will use plus the new cloud based storage medium they are launching.

You described the cloud based storage in very complimentary way. I noted it has downsides, e.g. it might be hacked in order to leak private photos, delete valuable photos, etc.

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
You described the cloud based storage in very complimentary way. I noted it has downsides, e.g. it might be hacked in order to leak private photos, delete valuable photos, etc.
Aah, that makes more sense, as it looked a little bit of an odd off topic comment out of context.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010

Looks like a poor dummy, seriously dodgy construction, the gaps and fittings are not those of a finished model. But it looks right although I’ll miss the Touch Bar...

Upvote 0

gmon750

CR Pro
Jan 30, 2015
It is insane we gotten to the point when someone takes a pass on a camera due to memory cards, when the rumor suggest the card slots will be class leading, but I guess by not far enough. What are you using now that is better or adequate? Have we really gotten to the point where UHSII cards are too slow for our needs?

So what's good for you surely must be good for everyone else then?

I use a Canon 5DM3. I do professional PAID photography where I'm taking hundreds of shots in one shoot. My camera often stalls as the buffer gets full. Yes, I take that many shots. While the camera clears the buffer, the action in front of me does not stop.

The 5DM3 is a 22MP camera. If the R5 rumor points to a 45MP camera, then those SD cards (even the latest) will not be fast enough to handle that kind of bandwidth.

If you're happy with old tech, good for you. Don't harp on others that have a genuine need to have a camera that can keep up with its user. You really come across as crass.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

I use a Canon 5DM3. I do professional PAID photography where I'm taking hundreds of shots in one shoot. My camera often stalls as the buffer gets full. Yes, I take that many shots. While the camera clears the buffer, the action in front of me does not stop.

The 5DM3 is a 22MP camera. If the R5 rumor points to a 45MP camera, then those SD cards (even the latest) will not be fast enough to handle that kind of bandwidth.

If you're happy with old tech, good for you. Don't harp on others that have a genuine need to have a camera that can keep up with its user. You really come across as crass.

My question was when did CFE and SDII cards become old tech? I could understand if they went with CF cards. They are basically giving the most advanced card setup in the class and it is being characterized as old tech. I realize this topic is about the cards the camera will likely have but based on the fact the "slow" card is faster than the two cards provided in the 5d4 and your MK3 combined it seems like a good upgrade.

Also keep in mind this is not the top of the line model. If it were I would still disagree with the assessment of this being old tech, but I would probably not even respond to the thread. If they give you every feature in the R5 what will be left for the R1? If they gave dual CFE cards then there would be a 20 page thread about the processors not being fast enough, or some other item not up to spec.

I wanted a fast camera so I bought the 1dx3. If you want the latest and greatest the R1 will be coming.

Upvote 0

bbb34

5D mk V
Jul 24, 2012
Amsterdam

5D3 supports SD, SDHC, and SDXC. It apparently uses an "SD High-Speed" bus, that limits the bandwidth to 25 MB/s. Benchmarking with Magic Lantern results in a net bandwidth of 20 to 21 MB/s.

The R5 is believed to support UHS-II, which limits the bandwidth to 312 MB/s. That is over 12 times the theoretical bandwidth of the 5D3 SD bus.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017

with all due respect, you are incorrect.
5DIII SD card write speed is only around 25MB/s
5DIV SD card write speed is around 180MB/s

you are not comparing apples to apples.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
5D3 supports SD, SDHC, and SDXC. It apparently uses an "SD High-Speed" bus, that limits the bandwidth to 25 MB/s. Benchmarking with Magic Lantern results in a net bandwidth of 20 to 21 MB/s.

The R5 is believed to support UHS-II, which limits the bandwidth to 312 MB/s. That is over 12 times the theoretical bandwidth of the 5D3 SD bus.

IIRC the M50 was the first Canon camera that would do more than 40MiB/s writes to an SD cards, the R, RP, M6II and 90D do a lot better.

FWIW, with Magic Lanterns SD overclock feature my original M can do 55MiB/s writes, very handy for 10-bit RAW video near HD resolutions.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
One very good reason, as has already been pointed out is that SD cards are available almost everywhere. If you find yourself in an emergency situation where your cards are lost/stolen/forgotten/full you can walk into any corner drugstore and buy an SD card that will work in the slot. I expect Canon took that into consideration.

I am sure but still disappointed.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Canon has enough experience selling cameras with mismatched dual-card slots (all 5D series) and cameras with matching dual-card slots (1DX) to make an informed decision as to what the market bears. While I'm a bit surprised at the amount of angst on having mismatched slots, I believe that there would have been a bigger outcry if they were both CFExpress due to cost concerns.

If cost were a concern then you cannot afford the R5 and the lenses to go with it. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
I know they will make it work as usual, just do not like having to use two different format means of storage.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

My question was when did CFE and SDII cards become old tech?

CFE is brand new. SDII is the last hurrah of SD cards before CFE Type A or SDE takes over. It might have just been released, but that doesn't change that SDII is just a way to push a little more life into a old standard. But it is fine just now, it is not ideal to me as I would like to have seen the R5 with both feet in the future. When the R5II comes out I would expect it to have dual CFE(dual a, dual b, or a+b) or CFE + SDE.

Upvote 0
CFE is brand new. SDII is the last hurrah of SD cards before CFE Type A or SDE takes over. It might have just been released, but that doesn't change that SDII is just a way to push a little more life into a old standard. But it is fine just now, it is not ideal to me as I would like to have seen the R5 with both feet in the future. When the R5II comes out I would expect it to have dual CFE(dual a, dual b, or a+b) or CFE + SDE.

Yes but by then everyone will be complaining the CFE's are old tech. Keeps the forums interesting I guess.

Upvote 0