The Canon EOS R6 is still scheduled to be announced in May [CR2]

May 11, 2017
No that would cost too much money. If you want to minimize the costs and maximize profit margins in your manufacturing process, then you use the same parts in as many devices as possible. The 1DX3 is what it is not because of it's sensor. It's everything else around the sensor. Particularly it's body, power, and insanity level AF system, which the R6 wont have anything like.
The original post says that the R6 will not use the sensor in the 1DXIII.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
The original post says that the R6 will not use the sensor in the 1DXIII.
Whoops!! Apparently I read right over that. Well then that info is brand new as of this post. That's very interesting then. I can't image what the big difference would be that Canon would make another 20MP sensor on top the one they are already making now.

I wonder if perhaps IBIS necessitates this? Otherwise I can't imagine what difference in performance ( if any at all) in the sensor itself there will be between the two...

Or perhaps it's just classified as a new sensor because of IBIS? Someone with more insight than me on that one is gonna have to chime in.

Upvote 0
Feels like some people are a bit confused about the lineup. The R5 is clearly going to be the old 5D series, with initial pricing in the $3500 range. The R6 will take the 6D's $2000 position. With all these great cameras coming, looks like the R might be down to $1200k in time for next holiday season, maybe down to $1k refurb. And the RP could come down to $750, the old Rebel territory. That's a great lineup with multiple entry points for full frame.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
This is the first time I have read that it will not use the 1DX III sensor, so you are telling me this is another brand new sensor? The R6 is more exciting to me than the R5 because it looks like the perfect replacement for my GH5 since I'm still not sold on an EVF for photography and my 5DIV still works great for that. Can't wait to see the full specs of the R6.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
No that would cost too much money. If you want to minimize the costs and maximize profit margins in your manufacturing process, then you use the same parts in as many devices as possible. The 1DX3 is what it is not because of it's sensor. It's everything else around the sensor. Particularly it's body, power, and insanity level AF system, which the R6 wont have anything like.
Canon was always "special" in the past, separating products and product lines by hardware, even if a reasonable R&D cost calculation would recommend a reuse of one part (sensor) in a parallel product line (not to mix up with reuse of old parts).
But as I said I hope for a good, modern sensor because I cannot belive in any old reuse - even if the R6 would become a low price successor of the RP (which I also don't believe).

Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
It would be awesome if Canon's "6D replacement" was still a S1/GH5/A7S killer; talk about blowing the competition out of the water. That 20MP sensor is the first clue. Canon has to know that is bad optics (no pun intended) unless it turns out to be yet another amazing hybrid shooter slotted right below the R5. Who needs a dedicated video body when Canon's hybrid shooters blow other makers video bodies out of the water?

If the specs match my expectations I don't see this camera being less than $2400.00 just like I still predict the R5 will be at least $3999.00. I can see them keeping around the RP as the entry level RF mount body just because it is so cheap. Of course in that line up the RP is the real 6D replacement (lowest cost FF, single card slot, same 26.2MP resolution), and the R6 is really their S1/GH5/A7S killer that no one saw coming, and of course the R5 is the 5D replacement.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
The R6 will take the 6D's $2000 position.
I was thinking that too, but the more I look at the RP, the more the R6 sounds just like it. No top screen. Only dials. Small body. Entry build quality. Sounds exactly like an RP. This is looking more and more like a $999 RP replacement.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
line skipping doesn't work too well on a full width 20MP sensor for 4K ..

it's probably downsampled from 5.4K to 4K - DIGIC X certainly has the horses for that.
I guess in that case it could have 4k60p only in crop mode like the Panasonic S1 (since the rumor does not say 4k60p FF)
We can safely assume that it is a slower sensor than the 1DXIII so it won't have the same capabilities.
If it shoots full sensor FF 4k30p it is still has more than the old 1DXII
And it might not have Digic X either, since it will be smaller and much cheaper than the R5.

Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
I was thinking that too, but the more I look at the RP, the more the R6 sounds just like it. No top screen. Only dials. Small body. Entry build quality. Sounds exactly like an RP. This is looking more and more like a $999 RP replacement.
But it has dual card slots, a 20MP sensor that everyone is already complaining about and 4K60 which is unheard of from an entry level camera. Even the RP has a 26MP sensor as did the 6D. When people want to move up from whatever they have to entry level FF, they will pixel peep and immediately complain about the sensor resolution; especially since it is nearly guaranteed that their current gear if they have any has more than 20MP, and how many entry level shooters care about dual card slots?

That 20MP sensor however is great for video, you don't need a top display for video, and you don't care about the EVF for video. Even the 4K60FPS limit sounds about right to protect the R5's sales. I see absolutely no other reason why Canon would choose a 20MP sensor when they have 26MP sensors just laying around from other cameras if it weren't for video. They could have just added a card slot to the RP called it Mark II and resold it as the R6....instead they went with a 20MP sensor.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
But it has dual card slots, a 20MP sensor that everyone is already complaining about and 4K60 which is unheard of from an entry level camera. Even the RP has a 26MP sensor as did the 6D. When people want to move up from whatever they have to entry level FF, they will pixel peep and immediately complain about the sensor resolution; especially since it is nearly guaranteed that their current gear if they have any has more than 20MP, and how many entry level shooters care about dual card slots?
Just to clarify once again, in no way this camera is replacing an EOS RP (or the EOS R), it will cost over double the RP (it will be over 2000$, the RP is more like 1000$ now) and the EOS R is also going to be a good deal less than this with the permanent discount.

It is a lower cost camera that still has higher end features like the high framerate, better video, IBIS and dual card slots while saving on other things like the LCD or the electronic viewfinder, probably 8-bit internal codecs, and it won't be as rigid as an EOS R or R5.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Assuming this *rumour* is accurate....
Does anyone know why Canon might design two different 20MP FF sensors at practically the same time? What will one sensor do that the other cannot I wonder?
I do have to say - if Canon are designing a new sensor specifically for the R6 (rather than using an existing part), I am rather puzzelled why go for 20MP?? Upper 20's to lower 30's would make much more sense to me.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
How I think this will play out:

R1 - 1DX Mirrorless equivalent
R3 - Entry level FF Canon Mirrorless (aka RP Mark II)
R5 - 5D replacement
R5S - 5DSR replacement
R6 - Video focused body but with less resolution to protect the R5
The problem here is your numbering scheme reflects Canon's hierarchy on one hand yet contradicts it with the 3. It is really looking like they are sticking with the higher numbers for better bodies (again) not like the nomenclature of the M series.

Upvote 0