Further clarification of what will be announced by Canon next month

I still can’t believe the F/11 teles. It is so disappointing that this is what canon is giving us amateur wildlife photographers who want something in the 600mm to 800mm range, but don’t/can’t pony up $13k for a new 600mm f/4 or 800 f/5.6. F/11, are you kidding me? I guess if you want to shoot between 1030-11:15 AM, great.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I still can’t believe the F/11 teles. It is so disappointing that this is what canon is giving us amateur wildlife photographers who want something in the 600mm to 800mm range, but don’t/can’t pony up $13k for a new 600mm f/4 or 800 f/5.6. F/11, are you kidding me? I guess if you want to shoot between 1030-11:15 AM, great.

It was either here or over at DPReview. Someone uploaded a few bird photos at 840mm intentionally shot at f/11. It’s not as bad as you might think.

That said, Sigma and Tamron both have adaptable options at 150-600 f/5-6.3. F/11 is 1 2/3’s stops worse than 6.3. Same number of stops between 2.2 and 4.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
It was either here or over at DPReview. Someone uploaded a few bird photos at 840mm intentionally shot at f/11. It’s not as bad as you might think.
I did the same with a 300 f2.8 a 2 xTC for 600 f5.6 and then a 1.4 TC on that for an 840mm f8, it wasn't good. I'm sure some people will get impressive results, I'm equally sure many people will be very disappointed with it, f11 is a big compromise.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015

If f/11 is not enough for you, you are not interested in shooting video, you are shooting fast action and/or in lower light and you are happily paying 10000$+ on a fast tele prime and carry it everywhere, then nobody is forcing you to buy it.

As Olympus m43 cameras and lenses seems to be going away, it is nice to know that there is still an alternative to the 300/4 IS Pro lens with a 1.4x extender attached, with possibly even better image quality and even less weight and a similarly strong image stabilisation. There are lots of image examples out there and it does not look unusable to me.

Having a faster lens as opposed to image stabilisation is much more useful, there is no doubt about it.
It is also nice to have more flexibility with zooms and teleconverters etc. but that also comes with its own compromises.

Upvote 0
I did the same with a 300 f2.8 a 2 xTC for 600 f5.6 and then a 1.4 TC on that for an 840mm f8, it wasn't good. I'm sure some people will get impressive results, I'm equally sure many people will be very disappointed with it, f11 is a big compromise.

Yeah, but doesn’t stacking teleconverters introduce more glass and compromise image quality in more ways than just aperture? I’ve got no experience with it. Just what I’ve read.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Yeah, but doesn’t stacking teleconverters introduce more glass and compromise image quality in more ways than just aperture? I’ve got no experience with it. Just what I’ve read.
Yes, and I wouldn’t necessarily compare the IQ or focus speeds, but the ISO’s I was forced into meant I wouldn’t use the results even if they had been up to the task.

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
Yes, a graduated filter is just as possible as a neutral density one. In fact, since it's just software, you could do almost anything beyond that if it's done by a quick software algorithm! I may not be a photography professional, but I was a high speed video programming professional my entire career.

If fact, there would be nothing stopping a programmer from fetching multiple frames of raw data and accumulating them into a doubly big raw output (such as 24 or 32 bits per pixel element) as long as the stabilizaiton and slight image movement allowed. After all, that's really what they're doing with a software neutral density algorithm, except they're throwing away all the low bits of the accumulated data since they can't store it all when they output a combined single raw file in the same raw format.
Wow, glad someone was paying attention at school. I always think software can do more than it can and then find it cant, mainly due to the physical restrictions of the hardware.

I suppose there is much more scope to play with stuff with digital cameras.

Upvote 0
The big unknowns for the R5 remain:
1) Will the autofocus, particularly continuous AF, work at all close to Sony's in terms of object tracking? Eye tracking has advanced quite nicely in the EOS R with firmware upgrades, but object tracking remains rudimentary. If you're after birds at a distance, your camera is going to think they're objects.
2) Megapickles.

I bought a refurbished R last week to experiment again with the platform in preparation for coming back to Canon with the R5. The AF is pretty bad relative to my A9 and A7r4. I'm sure the R5 will be better than the R, but this transition period has made me nervous. It's my #1 concern, and I doubt we'll have any insight until the cameras are in our hands.

Upvote 0
Yes, and I wouldn’t necessarily compare the IQ or focus speeds, but the ISO’s I was forced into meant I wouldn’t use the results even if they had been up to the task.
Not even in Florida? I usually try and get down there sometime during the dry season and that was one place I though you might get away with f11. I agree those lenses are going to be a challenge unless you are very comfortable with high ISO’s.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
The big unknowns for the R5 remain:
1) Will the autofocus, particularly continuous AF, work at all close to Sony's in terms of object tracking? Eye tracking has advanced quite nicely in the EOS R with firmware upgrades, but object tracking remains rudimentary. If you're after birds at a distance, your camera is going to think they're objects.

This is probably more similar to how the R5 and R6 will perform (in electronic shutter mode at least, mechanical is 12fps instead of 20fps), unfortunately there is no comparison video on flying birds, but the Animal AF should provide a considerable improvement.

Upvote 0

koch1948

EOS-1D X Mark III
Oct 8, 2019
I hope they announce the 85/2 soon. I’m a wedding photographer who loves the 35/85 pairing, with a 135 in my bag as an option, and so I’m beginning to think that my idea kit that I’m going to try to build to is:

35/1.8 RF (already own) - readily available for quick candids during Prep, close ups on very tight dance floors

15-35 RF - Portraits, ceremony, dance floor

50/1.2RF - Prep, Portrai

Rumored 85/2 - Macro, dance floor close ups to keep camera weight down on shoulder harness

Rumored 70-135/2 - Portraits, Ceremony
That seems to be a nice choice of lenses. Do you use two camera bodies at all times?

Upvote 0

puffo25

EOS R5 - Fine art landscape, travel,astro and pano
Jul 18, 2017
italy
Nothing new from previous announcemts. Honestly I am very disappointed since I did not see any concrete news about the R5 after late January. In fact all updates have been very vagues and very general. We still do not know technical details of the shape of the camera, max ISO, and so on.... All leaks have been way too vague and nothing new has been added. Even the final street market price or precise date to get a body have not been released. So why keeping adding so vague news???

• Haha
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014

Those primes are not a problem and will be great for amateurs and young people who want to get into wildlife photography for cheap.
I hope they will release a 200-600 type of lens in the future with 5.6 aperture.

In the meantime you have the R5 and 100-500 which cropped 1.2X can get you a 100-600 lens at 30MP.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0