UK pricing leaks for the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
$3499 for the R5 and $2199 or $2299 would fit the traditional entry prices for basically every other camera in the range (EOS R debuted at $2299, the a7Riv debuted at $3499, the 5DIV debuted at $3499, the Z6 and Z7 hit around those price points)

Yes. That was why I guessed that price. This is a mirrorless 5D5 stills camera in my book (albeit with a 'ABOUT DAMN TIME, CANON' competitive spec bump).

But 8K being a first + first RF body with IBIS takes this into a different value proposition. I get why they are asking for more.

I was wrong. It happens.

- A

Upvote 0
No. £3500 pre-tax would naively convert to about $4400 pre-tax, but the US price will almost certainly not be that high due to Other Economic Differences. Definitely not as low as $3500 either.

Forgive me, I didn't mean to suggest that £3,500 is equivalent to $3,500 in terms of exchange rate, only that pre-tax US prices are often the same in terms of absolute dollar amount when compared to pre-tax GBP. As another poster wrote, US frequently gets the "best" overall prices.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
1DX Mark III £6499
EOS R6 £2499

No RAW to CFExpress cards, and I expect to record UHD instead of Cinema 4K maybe 4k60p will be IPB compression only to UHS-II cards and those can't handle more, no 20fps mechanical shutter, durable body or everlasting battery (smart controller, top LCD, duh).

They are different cameras obviously, but for most of the same features with the new mount and IBIS thrown in for good measure, it really looks like a bargain.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
So that's 2799 eur for the R6? Even more than the EOS-R at introduction.

I think R5 is a logical '5-series camera' with a similar market of user, with the mad asterisk of 8K.

But the R6 is a new animal to me. Any analogies that this is a 6-series camera (that even I asserted at first) seem out of place in light of these specs. It's not top-top pro everything, but it's a solid notch above the R for everything other than the megapickles.

Compared to the R (from a stills perspective alone):

Thumbwheel to :poop: all over that control bar​
IBIS​
20 fps​
The 1DX3 sensor (reportedly)​
The R5's AF setup (which we presume will march right past the R's setup)​
Surely snappier eye AF in a next-gen product​

So... yeah. That price seems right to me.

- A

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
The R5/100-500mm combo will be £7098, even way above the £5,500-6000 I guestimated. I simply can't justify that when I am getting good results with my current gear. $3999 would be consistent with current US/UK prices for other gear.

I had a €7000 budget for R5+100-500, which would seem to be a bit optimistic. So I scrapped the 100-500 and ordered a 180mm macro yesterday, that leaves room to buy extra batteries, CFe cards and possibly a grip.
And it gives me a target for next years budget: the RF100-500 + 1.4x. Hopefully that ends gear purchases for the next decade or so.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Mar 4, 2020
I think R5 is a logical '5-series camera' with a similar market of user, with the mad asterisk of 8K.

But the R6 is a new animal to me. Any analogies that this is a 6-series camera (that even I asserted at first) seem out of place in light of these specs. It's not top-top pro everything, but it's a solid notch above the R for everything other than the megapickles.

Compared to the R (from a stills perspective alone):

Thumbwheel to :poop: all over that control bar​
IBIS​
20 fps​
The 1DX3 sensor (reportedly)​
The R5's AF setup (which we presume will march right past the R's setup)​
Surely snappier eye AF in a next-gen product​

So... yeah. That price seems right to me.

- A
You can add:

Dual Card slots
12 fps mechanical
joystick

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
May 12, 2015
I had a €7000 budget for R5+100-500, which would seem to be a bit optimistic. So I scrapped the 100-500 and ordered a 180mm macro yesterday, that leaves room to buy extra batteries, CFe cards and possibly a grip.
And it gives me a target for next years budget: the RF100-500 + 1.4x. Hopefully that ends gear purchases for the next decade or so.
I am curious what the 5.6-7.1 focal length limits are vs the 100-400 4.5-5.6.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
If the R6 hit's around $2299 USD and the rumored video specs pan out, I'll grab the R6 and another Atomos Ninja V and still be $1000 or so under the R5... which will will be put towards the R1 in 2021 ;)

R1 can't be that far off now, can it? A year or two ago, the only wildcards were how well/responsive the DPAF / EVF would be and how much data they could push, and both have been soundly spoken to between the liveview of the 1DX3 and these R5 specs. A truly top-drawer EVF performer hasn't surfaced yet, in fairness, but surely they've been working on that.

One would think all Canon has to do now is make a hard call on [high-res + 8K like the R5] or [low-res + ~6K like the 1DX3] and park it in a 1-series body. It's go time.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
My money(no pun intended) is on ~$3499 US for the R5 and they will quickly roll into a back-order situation with the initial supply/allotment selling out in “pre-orders”, despite the current world situation.

May happen anyway at 4199 US. Never underestimate the power of a first.

I'm just curious if a Sony A7S III or A7 IV development teaser drops just to take the sting out of what is shaping up to be a monster R5 / R6 rollout.

- A

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
R1 can't be that far off now, can it? A year or two ago, the only wildcards were how well/responsive the DPAF / EVF would be and how much data they could push, and both have been soundly spoken to between the liveview of the 1DX3 and these R5 specs. A truly top-drawer EVF performer hasn't surfaced yet, in fairness, but surely they've been working on that.

One would think all Canon has to do now is make a hard call on [high-res + 8K like the R5] or [low-res + ~6K like the 1DX3] and park it in a 1-series body. It's go time.

- A
Yeah but remember, Canon unleashes those beasts in time with the Olympics. Which are in Japan this time... and got pushed to 2021. And they just dropped the DX3 within the last 6 months. So I'm betting R1X announcement early next year with delivery around may/june 2021 just before the games start.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
It's pretty logical that they are going to prioritise sensor speed (also helps with the AF processing) over pixel count. So a stacked sensor is a possibility (it can be more MP if the technology is there of course, but I don't think it is) It could go well beyond 20fps.
But because it is the beginning of the next generation, I wouldn't expect it so soon, maybe after they have some fast telephotos to go with it.

Upvote 0