Gordan Laing Review: The Canon EOS R5 for photography

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
For those who were talking about R5's Dynamic Range...
Now add the specs (top AF, IBIS, 12/20fps, 8k Raw, 4k HQ), RF Glass and the colors Canon provides and then come and tell me that Canon has not the the best hybrid system out there!! Expect a few firmware updates that will extend record times and reduce cooldowns. Im telling this mostly to myself who cancelled the preorder and now I have to wait for sometime...

Except if you shoot 8k Raw or 4k HQ for 20 to 30 mins you need to forget the camera for next 2 hours and that is definitely sounds like the best hybrid camera at the $3900 price tag ;)

Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
"Oh, and I never experienced any overheating on the R5 when shooting still photos, even during long bursts on a hot day". There you go. Another reviewer who didn't encounter overheating just shooting stills, like the trolls and Sony fanboys would want everyone to believe.

So far I have not heard anyone saying the R5 overheated just shooting stills Vs I heard even if you mix 8k video and stills it overheats. Sure anyone points out the shortcoming of Canon are trolls and Sony fan boys. Keep that narrative going

Upvote 0
Except if you shoot 8k Raw or 4k HQ for 20 to 30 mins you need to leave the camera for 2 hours you need to forget the camera for next 2 hours and that is definitely sounds like the best hybrid camera at the $3900 price tag ;)
That would apply to every camera that shoots 8k, 4k120fps, or 4k60fps,,,,oh wait there’s none so your point is mute since it can do anything every camera out there without overheating, plus the added high bit rates

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
You are assuming Sony does not do that. There is suspicion that Sony does the same. I am not denying the superiority of Sony sensors over Canon sensors in terms of dynamic range and noise performance (Except R5 which seems to be better than Sony) but whether Sony does NR or any kind of correction to their RAW file or not is an unknown. We can debate all day whether they do or don't and if they do is that true RAW or not.

Until we can run those R5 RAW's through the image editor *of our choice* we really have no idea of its quality *for our usage.* BUT, looking to Gordon's review, the R5 looks like a monumental upgrade to my old 5D's. Colour me impressed by the R5-- as a photography tool.

Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
That would apply to every camera that shoots 8k, 4k120fps, or 4k60fps,,,,oh wait there’s none so your point is mute since it can do anything every camera out there without overheating, plus the added high bit rates

Unles you are living under a rcok by this time you know there is a7s3 and the Pansonics that does not over heat with 4k60. Each have their short comings. My reply is to your point because it has 8k, 4k120fps it is great hybrid camera. No it is not, if you use those modes either you have to buy 6 cameras to continue the shoot without interruption or you need to stop and wait for hours before you can use the camera again. Noone asked for 8k. Canon foolishly tried to pull 8k purely for marketing stunt and lost again on 4k too.

Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
that makes zero sense, a raw file is not completely raw? sure, ok
How does it make zero sense? RAW is the sensor data untouched, unless the manufacturer decides to touch it with some processing like NR or pixel shift, etc. This is not the first camera to do that. Long exposure noise reduction has been applied to RAW across brands for a long time. It is as close to the RAW sensor information as you will get. RAW just means you are getting close enough to the original pixel readout that you can customize the final look and preserve as much detail as as possible. There isn't some rule of physics broken here if the manufacturer decides that some sensor data needs to be processed in some way prior to storing as a RAW.

Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
Unles you are living under a rcok by this time you know there is a7s3 and the Pansonics that does not over heat with 4k60. Each have their short comings. My reply is to your point because it has 8k, 4k120fps it is great hybrid camera. No it is not, if you use those modes either you have to buy 6 cameras to continue the shoot without interruption or you need to stop and wait for hours before you can use the camera again. Noone asked for 8k. Canon foolishly tried to pull 8k purely for marketing stunt and lost again on 4k too.
Just. One. Thread.

Can we have just ONE without all this endless droning about the known VIDEO limitations.

Reactions: 12 users
Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
Until we can run those R5 RAW's through the image editor *of our choice* we really have no idea of its quality *for our usage.* BUT, looking to Gordon's review, the R5 looks like a monumental upgrade to my old 5D's. Colour me impressed by the R5-- as a photography tool.

Agreed the R5 is definitely a great upgrade from any older 5 series camera in terms of stills. But for a stills camera given the competition it is way over priced.

Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
I believe the $3899 price reflects the 8k and 4k 120 video features. Both of these have turned out to be a failure in the eyes of videographers as far as I can tell. Canons only hope is that photographers, like myself, will buy the camera to replace there 5D mk4's. I feel the camera should be price more around $3299 like the 5D mk4 was.
5D4 was 3499 at launch. Add 4 years and some inflation, and way more advanced STILLS technology.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
Except if you shoot 8k Raw or 4k HQ for 20 to 30 mins you need to forget the camera for next 2 hours and that is definitely sounds like the best hybrid camera at the $3900 price tag ;)

For VIDEO ONLY. You can immediately shoot 4K30 and stills all day the second after an overheat. When the Sony overheats, it is a brick for however many minutes it takes to cool. No stills. No video of any kind. Is that the best hybrid? Are its 12MP stills inspiring?

Enough already. The video limits have been beat to death. Can we not have yet another thread of people who do not even own this camera whining?

These are, from all brands, great cameras each built for a purpose. Only you broken record parrots cannot move on from complaining endlessly over the same ground. The R5 is a great camera and well worth the price for anyone shooting a 5D4- it is 4000 more than the 5D4 launched for and has IBIS, incredible focus, higher MP, great new lenses, a nice EVF, plus incredible quality video with some limitations. Even overheated, it can replace my Sony NXCAM professional video camera because the full frame basic 4k30 is as good or better, especially in low light.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Agreed the R5 is definitely a great upgrade from any older 5 series camera in terms of stills. But for a stills camera given the competition it is way over priced.

Full disclosure, I've been waiting for a while for the R5, as a former 5D shooter. Been Sony A7R for some 7 years, just for the EVF and the early video functionality.

I was more than a little perturbed by the R5's overheating in video mode, but, *if the R5 is this good shooting stills* and handles like the old 5D, and is as responsive as the 5D, I could live with the video limitations (I'd buy a camcorder [again] for my *long-form recordings* at music gigs).

With SONY and the A7Slll, its the polar opposite, its a limited, weaker/occasional photography camera. But is it better for my long-form videography than a camcorder, probably not.....

In a lot of ways, the R5 makes more sense when we are being objective from a photographers perspective. I for one shoot a lot of video, but only at a couple of events, and to be completely candid, a proper camcorder, one with a decent zoom lens is always more useful. Those events are both outdoors in 90 degree heat and humidity, a camcorder *just works* with zero issues here.

So for me, the choice isn't that black & white, either way, SONY OR CANON, neither camera does it all.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

1D4

Jun 5, 2020
So far I have not heard anyone saying the R5 overheated just shooting stills Vs I heard even if you mix 8k video and stills it overheats. Sure anyone points out the shortcoming of Canon are trolls and Sony fan boys. Keep that narrative going
LOL, then you haven't read many threads here or elsewhere on the internet. Lots of people have been whining about reports of overheating just from stills. And they all tie back to two incidents, one of which wasn't even an incident. There is a difference between pointing out shortcomings and blatantly making up false narratives, which is what the trolls have been doing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
for some the overheating is a big deal, but I think a lot of it is their own expectations, maybe with a bit of the marketing team to blame. I was frustrated with several of the previous releases as they got close to what I wanted, but not close enough and the competition was ahead.

This time I think Canon has basically done a good job, but unfortunately some folks really wanted the video end to be more than it is. This is a trade off and in my case I'm ok with it but others are not. For me the weather sealing is very important, but likely contributes to the heat retention frustrating other folks. I imagine Canon will see an opportunity and offer some variants or other models with better cooling, but less weather sealing. To be seen.

What I do find funny is that they're complaining here, where it's clearly a subject about stills and not video.. it's a fantastic stills camera that is capable of very good, but short video.

Upvote 0

BeenThere

CR Pro
Sep 4, 2012
Eastern Shore
It's as raw as you can get. Whatever processing the camera may or may not do is a black box to the user. Complaining that CR3 is not "raw" is just semantic masturbation as long as it's not possible to make the camera output anything more raw than what we already get.
You mean shooting in a nudist colony would not be more RAW? :eek: Sorry, could not help myself.

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
Yes, R5 sounds like a great stills camera, given the competition is that worth $3900? Not to me at least. Will wait for the price to drop below $3k mark.

You will have a long wait. If the 5D4 is any indication you're looking at years.

5D4 debuted @ $3500. In today's dollars that's $3750. I paid $3700 out the door.

It's a bargain.

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
Can we not have yet another thread of people who do not even own this camera whining?

Evidently not. Sign of the times. Whining and victims everywhere. If there were a way for people to have an online protest with virtual looting I think we'd be there already.

Upvote 0