Gordan Laing Review: The Canon EOS R5 for photography

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I feel the camera should be price more around $3299 like the 5D mk4 was.
Here's a thought I haven't seen mentioned yet:

How much does replacing a shutter cost? Because at thr insane rating of 500,000 actuations, you'll likely never pay for it with an R5.

I just find it interesting how the costs get blamed to video functions when clearly the R5 is just such an impressive camera with regards to all aspects of stills.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

I believe the $3899 price reflects the 8k and 4k 120 video features. Both of these have turned out to be a failure in the eyes of videographers as far as I can tell. Canons only hope is that photographers, like myself, will buy the camera to replace there 5D mk4's. I feel the camera should be price more around $3299 like the 5D mk4 was.

Nah the camera is priced where it is due it basically being the flagship until the R1 comes out. Once you price it up with a network grip it is way up there in 1-series pricing and it's AF is arguably better. Ether Canon are moving the 1-series even further up market or they are gonna drop the R5 a bit when the R1 comes out.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
it's still a RAW file from a format perspective with an unknown amount of post processing (noise reduction) applied to it. so RAW vs Cooked RAW.

There are a few threads on dpreview where people are analyzing the RAW files to find out what Canon is actually doing and it seems to be incredibly subtle. It might not even be NR as we know it, but an optimization in the readout that causes a stronger correlation between neighbouring pixels.
But something new is going on, I'm undecided on what to think of it. This version seems subtle, but Canon could crank it up to 11 on the R50 or M7.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
Yes, R5 sounds like a great stills camera, given the competition is that worth $3900? Not to me at least. Will wait for the price to drop below $3k mark.

That is a fair statement.. to you it isn't worth that, so don't buy it :) .. I need inventory to go up! Everyone has different needs, you seem to need video more.

For me, I've saved the $ for it and I think it's totally worth it for what I do. I occasionally will do video, but weather sealing, robustness are oth likely the cause of the over heating, but essential for how I treat my cameras. In addition the ease of use, a high FPS, backward compatible lenses with a cheap adapter, excellent low light, IBIS and an autofocus that's fantastic.. I'm sold.

Photography is my focus and I tend to be all over with it, this is a great all rounder from a photography point of view and some video.

I also know canon over time tends to smooth out some of the initial roughness, so wouldn't surprise me to see some features improve later. They're still getting their feet wet with mirrorless RP and R were very lukewarm entries and I didn't bite, but this.. this hits everything I want so far.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
The EOS-R, aside from the sensor, is not a 5D4 replacement in any regard in my book and I own both cameras. It's a nice camera but it's no 5D4, and the 5D4 is no R5.

If you're asking me if the R5 @ $3700 is worth $1700 more than the R my answer is absolutely. Ditto if you had to pay $3899 retail. If you're asking me if the R5 is worth the same money as the 5D4 at launch my answer is absolutely and without hesitation.

I bought the 5D4 at launch and wasn't "stopped in my tracks" by the price nor was I "stopped in my tracks" to pay the same money for a drastically improved camera four years later.

If people just "can't afford it" I can understand that, but I don't agree with the idea that the camera is overpriced. Even if you remove all the video features you're paying 5D4 money for a camera that outperforms it in every single way.

It isn't "at a higher cost..." Given inflation it's roughly the same price, and it's a bargain considering there isn't a camera that comes close to its feature set and execution at any price.
I agree 100% on the pricing but I don't understand why you say "It's a nice camera but it's no 5D4, and the 5D4 is no R5." Could you elaborate a bit from your perspective because never having owned a 5 series and looking to get a R5 I am interested in where you see the distinctions.

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
I agree 100% on the pricing but I don't understand why you say "It's a nice camera but it's no 5D4, and the 5D4 is no R5." Could you elaborate a bit from your perspective because never having owned a 5 series and looking to get a R5 I am interested in where you see the distinctions.

Between the EOS-R and the 5D4, or the 5D4 and the R5?

I can give you my perspective on whichever you’re asking about, but I’m a little slow on the uptake and don’t want to waste your time.

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
5D IV and R5.

Specifically what appeals to me about R5 over 5D4:

Higher FPS
EVF
Tilty Flippy
FV
Video
Sensor Size
Better ISO
IBIS
Buffer Size
Animal/Eye AF
WiFi
RF Glass (specifically 100-500L for me, and possibly the 600 and 800mm)
Fv mode
Touch and Drag
Auto Focus System as a whole

I like my 5D4 but got used to a few things on my EOS-R that won my heart. The R5 seems to capture the best of both while also improving on both. I won’t know for sure until it’s in my hands but it doesn’t look to disappoint.

I a bit upset that I won’t be able to film Gladiator II in one take in 8K, but I got over it.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Specifically what appeals to me about R5 over 5D4:

Higher FPS
EVF
Tilty Flippy
FV
Video
Sensor Size
Better ISO
IBIS
Buffer Size
Animal/Eye AF
WiFi
RF Glass (specifically 100-500L for me, and possibly the 600 and 800mm)
Fv mode
Touch and Drag
Auto Focus System as a whole

I like my 5D4 but got used to a few things on my EOS-R that won my heart. The R5 seems to capture the best of both while also improving on both. I won’t know for sure until it’s in my hands but it doesn’t look to disappoint.

I a bit upset that I won’t be able to film Gladiator II in one take in 8K, but I got over it.
I think I misunderstood your initial comment, that is a list of things that make the R5 more appealing than a 5D IV, I thought you were fans of both and the 5D IV did things the R5 didn't. Given that list I don't see how anybody can say the R5 isn't a 5D IV replacement, and a very worthy and complete one at that.

The sensor size is the same.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
No, you couldn't have because the damn actors would have flubbed their lines too much. :D
The hilarious part about all this is in the much discussed Armando 'production' scenario he was actually using an Atomos, the only mistake he made that impacted his ability to shoot 8k 100% reliably was he should have removed the CFexpress card, so where is the equal time and energetic correction?

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
I think I misunderstood your initial comment, that is a list of things that make the R5 more appealing than a 5D IV, I thought you were fans of both and the 5D IV did things the R5 didn't. Given that list I don't see how anybody can say the R5 isn't a 5D IV replacement, and a very worthy and complete one at that.

The sensor size is the same.

Yes, it is the same SIZE. :D

• Haha
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Yes, it is the same SIZE. :D
So I don't understand why you list that as a positive of the R5 over the 5D IV.....

But more to the point, is there anything that you prefer in the 5D IV, that was really the heart of the original question, being as how you have listed what you prefer in the R5 over the 5D IV.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
The hilarious part about all this is in the much discussed Armando 'production' scenario he was actually using an Atomos, the only mistake he made that impacted his ability to shoot 8k 100% reliably was he should have removed the CFexpress card, so where is the equal time and energetic correction?

Sony would have to ask for a refund.

• Haha
Upvote 0