Canon EOS R5 firmware update coming soon, RAW light to be added? [CR2]

freejay

Canon Rumors Premium
Feb 3, 2015
They need to focus on the website... its ridiculous that the website is down for more than a week and they dont care

Never seen a website down for so long on current digital world for even smaller companies... dont know if we can trust them when they cant even take care of their own website
As I understand it they are under attack by cyber criminals. This might take weeks to get the servers up and running again.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
Im currently waiting for my RF 70-200 to turn up.
Its gonna be great going by what you and others have said! :D
it's certainly a big step up from the EOS R. I've just finished off a zoom 1 to 1 with a Canon rep arranged for me by the retailer I purchased the camera from. it was really good to be able to ask questions about things like card management, what the different case settings do, registering settings etc and the different settings for video which from using the R I never really used that much.

it's simple things like this that make you want to go back to a retailer. :)

Upvote 0
it's certainly a big step up from the EOS R. I've just finished off a zoom 1 to 1 with a Canon rep arranged for me by the retailer I purchased the camera from. it was really good to be able to ask questions about things like card management, what the different case settings do, registering settings etc and the different settings for video which from using the R I never really used that much.

it's simple things like this that make you want to go back to a retailer. :)
Yeah! I was lucky that I got my R5 in the first batch so I've been enjoying using it!

I think its lost on some people that the EOS R has fantastic image quality, like really really good. Its problem is that it's a bit sluggish to use, not as snappy as I'd have liked.

The R5 on the other hand has taken that image quality up a notch and it's really snappy to boot (kinda pun kinda intended! )

Cant wait to get that 70-200 in front of it!

You have your hands on the camera too so?

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
The humorous part of all the U-Tubers bitching about the 8k record time is that not one has made a single comment about the 8k video quality. I suspect that is because not one of them has any means to view 8k video. They are not happy with how long the camera will record in a format they can't use. Pretty funny when you think about it.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
Yeah! I was lucky that I got my R5 in the first batch so I've been enjoying using it!

I think its lost on some people that the EOS R has fantastic image quality, like really really good. Its problem is that it's a bit sluggish to use, not as snappy as I'd have liked.

The R5 on the other hand has taken that image quality up a notch and it's really snappy to boot (kinda pun kinda intended! )

Cant wait to get that 70-200 in front of it!

You have your hands on the camera too so?
Yup, I had no issues with the image quality of the R, great for landscapes and subjects that don't move a lot but really wasn't ideal for fast moving subjects which is where the R5 really steps up.

I purchased the RF70-200mm in April and to be honest it's hardly been off the R and R5. The RF 24-105 F4 has been consigned to the camera bag for a little while until I can do more city visits where the extra width and flexibility will come into it's own.

to make it even better, I just submitted a claim to Canon for a lens reward that I found out was available with the R5 and the 70-200MM & they've just confirmed £255 will be winging its way to my account in the next week or so. Happy days lol.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I personally would like them not to address the record times except the 30 minutes limit but rather focus on shorting the recovery times. Ok would be nice if 4k60 would be able to film without the limit.
Where the 1080p 120 disappeared it was mention by Jared Polin at the launch. He said it came straight from canon.

Unfortunately the recovery times are pretty much fixed based on the mechanical layout. The only possibility is that if Canon is really working on the cooling adapter and if the have actually built in heat pipes to where the cooling adapter is supposed to connect to. This would help in both reducing heat build up and cooling time.

On the other hand, if I am correct, the heat generation might be reduced with more efficient coding.

Upvote 0
If the CFexpress is the problem, why the CFexpress card does not overheat when shooting in 4K 30p non HQ mode? I shot for hours in this mode to both CF and SD cards without an issue. Both HQ and non HQ modes got the same bit rate as per the manual.

Besides, both the CFexpress and SD cards return to room temperature in a matter of minutes. The camera, however, doesn't seem to be affected; it doesn't care even if I inserted a new, unused card. It won't work.

I believe that this theory is misleading.

Go watch the tear down video. Notice that the CFE card slot is very close to the CPU and on the same board. The CPU is transmitting heat to the CFE card. So if you run a cooler recording mode, less heat is generated and the card stays cooler. Most CPUs have a thermostat built in, which is likely where the temperature is being measured from. Putting in a cooler card does not matter.

Upvote 0
H265 was designed to achieve about half the data rate of H264 with similar apparent quality.

Real-time SW encoding of 8K30 or 4K120 is currently not feasible for anything but the most powerful CPUs (with 225W+ power envelope)
Hence, it is safe to assume that microprocessors such as DIGIC X (estimated 5-10W power envelope based on battery run-time) need and have HW encoding.
Thanks, I do agree. What I don't know (sorry if I didn't explain well), is how well hardware encoding works in terms of compute required and therefore heat etc?

As you rightly post, 8K real time in sw? Yep if you have stupid hardware. But a tiny Digic chip can do x265 8k30 in realtime. I'm just curious as to how much power the x265 and x264 takes and whether they are the same or not (in terms of HW compute effort), or if they mirror software where x264 is quicker (and thus could be a possible trade off - quicker encode effort - less heat vs more i/o and additional heat)...

Upvote 0
HMM...i understand that thing but still its really bad that company like Canon taking so long to fix it
Their data has been encrypted by the hackers, and they are being held to ransom to either pay or to lose that data. What isn't known, is when the files were encrypted, and what backups of that data Canon has, aside from the fact the hackers I believe have their data....

Not quite straight forward...

Upvote 0
I hope they add some kind of Raw option for 4k or 1080p

I mean, if you had 1080p available to record in RAW (24, 50 & 120fps) along with the lite raw code, I think that could cover 90% of what mostly anyone would want to do with the camera

Clog3 to bring the available dynamic range up to snuff (I think I read its stuck around 11 with clog and clog 3 should bring that up by at least 1 stop?)

throw in maybe 4k RAW as an option,

Do something about recovery times on the camera

a7siii killer right there

I miss Magic Lantern Raw days, those 1080p Raw videos people have made are stilll beautiful

Upvote 0
If the CFexpress is the problem, why the CFexpress card does not overheat when shooting in 4K 30p non HQ mode? I shot for hours in this mode to both CF and SD cards without an issue. Both HQ and non HQ modes got the same bit rate as per the manual.

Besides, both the CFexpress and SD cards return to room temperature in a matter of minutes. The camera, however, doesn't seem to be affected; it doesn't care even if I inserted a new, unused card. It won't work.

I believe that this theory is misleading.
The HQ modes sample from a higher resolution, but output at 4K - that downsampling requires Digic processing.

Non HQ modes - no sampling, less data (vs 60FPS or higher modes). Hence your 4k30p is ok - you're taxing Digic less and the I/O less.

Essentially when we go to the higher processing - be that FPS, Resolution (8k), Downsampling, some combinations are pushing parts (multiple parts) collectively to go over whatever thermal limit has been defined and you get the problem.

We expect Digic to have a temp sensor (most processors of some shape or form do), not sure about the (image) sensor - probably does, then there's CFE Cards (Delkin does, assume others do also). And then there's the PCIe bus which CFE uses. So we maybe have 3 or 4 temp sensors, and the higher processing could trigger any of those into hitting their thermal limit and you get the warning....

How the menu / screen / switch on operation fairs in all this - no clue - best guess is that is a bug and can be fixed. The rest of the system, tweaked sure to give a bit more headroom. Then other modes e.g. Raw Lite, will have less i/o, and hopefully less processing - that may be an option for some. I'd like to see them do 4K Raw and 120fps in HD as others have suggested as at least it will give options....

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Cinema Raw Light is Canon's own compressed raw codec, first introduced on the C200 and now present in C500II, C300III, and 1DX Mark III. It's similar to Black Magic Raw in that it is a compressed raw codec giving you raw image quality without the giant file sizes. BM Raw has more compression options (5:1, 8:1, 12:1, etc), but Canon's is a fixed compression that works out to be around 4:1 or so. So, file sizes are still big, but not nearly as big as straight raw. Adding this would probably double or triple your record times in 8k on the R5, which would be very welcome.
Would the quality be compromised in RAW light?

• Haha
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
Canon Rumors Premium
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
They need to focus on the website... its ridiculous that the website is down for more than a week and they dont care

Never seen a website down for so long on current digital world for even smaller companies... dont know if we can trust them when they cant even take care of their own website
Yes. I lay awake at night and worry about exactly this.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
So again, exactly what do they need to do to bring it back up? And how long does that take to happen?
I'm not sure there is a straightforward answer to that. I read that it was a ransomware attack, so it would all depend on how that was done, what was being demanded, etc.

Upvote 0