Canon USA updates expected availability of the next allotment of Canon EOS R5 cameras

Ok, so I wait. Maybe the virus will be gone by the time it gets here! Sometimes I think if I have to see one more mask, I'm going to vomit in mine! Street photography was bad enough with so many people looking at their bloody smartphones. And now they're doing it with masks! AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are all allowed to get a little NUTS during quasi-lockdown (in the privacy of our own home keyboards). I just gave y'all permission. Have at it!

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Manny is a fantastic photographer often flown by Sony to their launch events etc with 450K + followers on his YouTube channel he must be doing something right. There are dozens of better videos in his collection than that one, which was only demonstrating basic studio photography from a home.

Jason Lanier was my favourite fashion photographer until recently however some really bad press kind of put me off watching his channel so much these days, but you can’t take away his undoubted talent in fashion photography, if only he could just stick with purely photographing the girls, instead of …
No, neither are fantastic photographers let alone top fashion photographers, they are YouTube personalities who take photos. Look at their client lists, oh you can't because neither of them have one!

What do they do right then? Well they play the YouTube game, which is a business in and of itself and all credit to them for that, but neither of them rank in the top anything for their images.

If you want to see a proper working fashion photographer on YouTube take a look at Peter Coulson, watch some of his long form studio videos and notice how intimately he understands light. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1rGqETAL7_rAElj9Oe404Q

But if you dive deeper you'll find real working fashion photographers with client lists to die for like these gems:

Or if you want to see the biggest guns in the business:

And how many of them are sponsored by camera manufacturers? How many are flown to the latest Sony release? How many give a damn about a YouTube channel! None, they are all photographers first and foremost, none of them talk about gear to any extent, watch them work and look at their images, breath in the fresh air and look at the art they create.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

SHAMwow

EOS R5
CR Pro
Sep 7, 2020
No, neither are fantastic photographers let alone top fashion photographers, they are YouTube personalities who take photos. Look at their client lists, oh you can't because neither of them have one!

And how many of them are sponsored by camera manufacturers? How many are flown to the latest Sony release? How many give a damn about a YouTube channel! None, they are all photographers first and foremost, none of them talk about gear to any extent, watch them work and look at their images, breath in the fresh air and look at the art they create.

Yeah I'd like to chime in here. First, I think Manny is a good photographer, but probably limited in what he does since so much time is devoted to YouTube. And I will agree that the more time I spend watching gear videos the less I care about them because I agree that it becomes obvious they don't really make any art that inspires me or that makes me go WOW. Like Tony Northrup is always talking about his videos, but all I've seen are good looking vlogs or washed out videos of his BMW. Same for most YouTubers. And I'm talking the gear folks. People like Peter Mckinnon make some dope content. I realized I was putting so much stock in their opinion, but then I see a video made by some random with the camera they reviewed and realized it looks awesome.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Just get another used 5d4 and resell that at almost no loss (likely) in a few months. Or get an EOS R, which has the same image quality as the 5d4.
Yes I was thinking the same, to get the Eos R. My eyes about video now are on c70... I hope it will come at the rumoured price. My C100ii still makes me proud after more than 5 years.

Upvote 0

Rivermist

Mirrorless or bust.
Apr 27, 2019
Houston
There are supply chain issues everywhere for many things. I know it is not a camera but I ordered a Whirlpool brand refrigerator on June 6. It is a normal fridge in white so no big specialty item. The delivery date was first stated to be Jun 19, then June 30, Then July 27, then July 30 and now it is October 3. We will see if that holds. Right now I would not blame the camera delays on Canons' poor planning. It is a reality in many places.
I got interested in Canon RF early into 2019, as I wanted to update old EF lenses and if RF was going to be the next big thing then it made more sense to jump in early rather than buy-sell EF glass over a 1-2 year period. In the end I purchased the RP with 24-105 L, alongside my 2012 5Dmk3 and many EF lenses. By December 2019 I had sold the 5D and bought a second RP ($1,500 with the 24-240, practically free). By then it was clear that the IBIS was going to take longer than anticipated, and I found it difficult to work with a DSLR and MILC together, such different shooting concepts. This proved to be a good call, and the more so when IBIS delays were amplified by Covid 19.
The RP ain't no R5 (or 5Dmk4), but it is a very decent camera and it gives me time to evaluate whether the R5 or R6 is the desirable camera in the future, after reviews and supply chain and firmware updates have settled down (Q2 2021?).

Upvote 0
This is a travesty... I don’t get what actually happened with the release of the R5, but something did go horribly wrong .... absolute BS... I wouldn’t call it vapor ware, but I’m getting there ... reminds me of the release of some of the super tele primes some years back, I thought we were past that... guess not...
Travesty? LOL, its just a camera, not your first born kid.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Wow, talk about first world 'problems'...

Nobody here can't take freaking great pictures with or without an R5, get over it, and yourselves.

I'm having problems with my 5DIV - if it breaks entirely then no, I can't take photos with another camera. That is why I ordered on day 1. I'm a working pro and can't send away my 5DIV for repairs until I get my new camera. I used my 6D as a backup but that recently died. If paying my rent is a first world problem than fine....

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I'm having problems with my 5DIV - if it breaks entirely then no, I can't take photos with another camera. That is why I ordered on day 1. I'm a working pro and can't send away my 5DIV for repairs until I get my new camera. I used my 6D as a backup but that recently died. If paying my rent is a first world problem than fine....
And despite the fact that you are a working pro you can't rent or borrow a camera? I work with two 1DX II's, I could borrow another two from associates within an hour or rent as many as I needed for tomorrow. How does a working pro not have the capacity to absorb equipment failure? Why are you at the point that your primary is unreliable and you have no backup?

If your choice is between paying rent and having a reliable primary camera as a working professional I'd say you need to look at your business and better prioritize expenditure.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I had two fully paid (escrow) pre-orders from official UK distributors from a month back. Yesterday I called and asked about supply and was told it'd probably be a couple of months waiting. So I cancelled them both and just bought a grey market one this morning on e-infinity. I tried to buy one via Canon's website (for £500 more) but got fed up with receiving the 'back in stock' email only to find that it had gone 'out of stock' in the 3 seconds it took to bring up the website.

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017

For the $4000 you're spending on an unavailable camera you could buy a 5D4 AND a 6D2 brand new.

For a 'professional' that can't pay his rent it seems like the R5 is a 'want' and not a 'need.'

Upvote 0

reefroamer

CR Pro
Jun 21, 2014
I think most people do not appreciate the complexities of modern mass production manufacturing. Covid has thrown a major wrench into the process. Canon likely has hundreds of supplier dependencies. The suppliers have suppliers, too. Many parts are unique to a product. A shutdown at any one of hundreds of factories can halt final production. You can plan around some, but not all, of this, but it’s almost impossible at introduction to have multiple suppliers for every part. I’m sure Canon is doing everything within its power to deliver product and collect the cash. They don’t have an infinite time window to sell the product profitably. Every day of delay is less money coming in and more time for competitors to snatch their business.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I think most people do not appreciate the complexities of modern mass production manufacturing. Covid has thrown a major wrench into the process. Canon likely has hundreds of supplier dependencies. The suppliers have suppliers, too. Many parts are unique to a product. A shutdown at any one of hundreds of factories can halt final production. You can plan around some, but not all, of this, but it’s almost impossible at introduction to have multiple suppliers for every part. I’m sure Canon is doing everything within its power to deliver product and collect the cash. They don’t have an infinite time window to sell the product profitably. Every day of delay is less money coming in and more time for competitors to snatch their business.

This is a consequence of "Just In Time" manufacturing, which is an attempt to cut down on overhead from letting parts sit around in warehouses waiting to be used. If ANYTHING gets interrupted, you won't get it just in time, you'll get it LATE, and you will end up pushing your stuff out the door late.

It's a tradeoff companies have been making, risking late vs. cutting overhead. Many companies might just re-evaluate the tradeoff once this is past.

Upvote 0
I sold mine camera to afford the R5 not thinking Canon would do this. My mistake, the next time I'll probably wait a little longer.

My complaint is that Canon gave the impression they had the R5 ready to send out. The excuses of covid-19 does not work, covid-19 pandemic had/has been going on months before this announcement. The excuse that the R5 exceeded our expectations is another poor excuse. As far as I have been hearing relatively few have been sent out. In my opinion the R5 has it's problems and Canon would rather use these excuses then admit they're failures. I would rather hear Canon say we are sorry for the delay we want to have this camera ready before we send anymore out. End of story!

Follow this site more closely to save yourself some grief.

Upvote 0

reefroamer

CR Pro
Jun 21, 2014
This is a consequence of "Just In Time" manufacturing, which is an attempt to cut down on overhead from letting parts sit around in warehouses waiting to be used. If ANYTHING gets interrupted, you won't get it just in time, you'll get it LATE, and you will end up pushing your stuff out the door late.

It's a tradeoff companies have been making, risking late vs. cutting overhead. Many companies might just re-evaluate the tradeoff once this is past.
YES. Typically, JIT works well and is very efficient, but it wasn’t designed for a pandemic.

Upvote 0