Canon cameras that I’m told are coming in 2021

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
The rumor mill has been quiet for a little while now, well until yesterday. A good source has laid out the camera body plans for Canon in 2021.
High-resolution RF body
This has been long rumoured, we were talking about it even before the EOS R5 hit the scene. Canon will release an RF mount body with at least twice the megapixels of the EOS R5. I was told that the new sensor will “utilize new technologies for Canon”.
APS-C RF Body
This is another long-rumoured camera, and news of it has picked up steam over the last couple of months. The source claims that the new APS-C RF mount camera will be “directly aimed at sports, wildlife and videography”.
A pair of New Entry-Level RF Full-Frame Bodies
I have been told that the plan from Canon was to release two cameras simultaneously to replace the EOS R and the EOS RP in the RF mount lineup.
The first body would be the most affordable full-frame camera...

Continue reading...

Reactions: 1 users
"APS-C RF mount camera will be “directly aimed at sports, wildlife and videography”."

This is amazing news for me personally. Hope I can replace my 200d to have much better video features while keep using my current glass with an adapter. Hopefully it will include sharp detailed 4k 60p 10 bit, 1080 120fps, IBIS, C log and animal eye AF. I am willing to pay for it even if it's similar priced as the R6.

This would be a perfect hybrid camera for me which is also more economical than switching to FF.

Hopefully we see it in 2021.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

gzroxas

Canon EOS R / Travel and Landscape
Oct 3, 2018
Italy
I would really love to have a Camera that mixes the EOS R and R6: give it the new sensor tech, IBIS and dual slots, autofocus. Reduce the number of FPS to 8-10 max. FF4k and 1080p 120.
Megapixel count can be in between 20 and 30, just to have a little more room for cropping than 20mp and to enjoy the glorious sharpness of RF lenses a bit more.

Basically what people expected the original R to be, an evolved A7III like camera.

Maybe it’s just me though

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
Upvote 0
"Sports, wildlife and videography" is quite a combination. Is Canon planning to create, among other things, a wildlife video camera that can be used with the Canon big whites for nature documentaries? From what I've seen, the lenses are very often Canon but the bodies are huge.

Correct me if I am missing anything but regarding the speed needed for a sports and wildlife body. This can also be used to have faster video specs no? Maybe that is the main part this body will share the higher framerates. I wonder if Canon can come up with something nice regarding the low light performance and dynamic range as well. But we can't expect too much I assume from Canon for just an APS-C body.

Upvote 0
I would really love to have a Camera that mixes the EOS R and R6: give it the new sensor tech, IBIS and dual slots, autofocus. Reduce the number of FPS to 8-10 max. FF4k and 1080p 120.
Megapixel count can be in between 20 and 30, just to have a little more room for cropping than 20mp and to enjoy the glorious sharpness of RF lenses a bit more.

Basically what people expected the original R to be, an evolved A7III like camera.

Maybe it’s just me though

It's absolutly not just you. We've got a 5DIV for weddings and I am somehow reluctant to go down to 20mpx. Asked my wife, how much she crops, maybe not that much, but sometimes we do and then we print up to cca A2 metric format. So curious if the camera under the R6 could have more megapixels, hence a new sensor? But then what would Canon leave off, to have it cheaper than the R6?

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

mdcmdcmdc

EOS R7, M5, 100 (film), Sony α6400
CR Pro
Sep 4, 2020
This is exciting news!

>> The source claims that the new APS-C RF mount camera will be “directly aimed at sports, wildlife and videography”.

The first two sound like the mirrorless 7D many of us have been wishing for. Not sure what "videography" means. 4K and a flippy screen? I'd expect that to be a given at this point.

>> ...the most affordable full-frame camera Canon has ever made...

Just being persnickety, but I assume this means *digital* full frame. Those 35mm Snappy P&S's were pretty affordable back in the day. ;)

Seriously though, this is all very good news.

Is Canon going to fill out the RF lens lineup to match the broader (=less expensive) range of bodies? Right now it seems the RF lenses are mainly L's.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
It's absolutly not just you. We've got a 5DIV for weddings and I am somehow reluctant to go down to 20mpx. Asked my wife, how much she crops, maybe not that much, but sometimes we do and then we print up to cca A2 metric format. So curious if the camera under the R6 could have more megapixels, hence a new sensor? But then what would Canon leave off, to have it cheaper than the R6?
My primary cameras are 20mp and I have a Canon Pro-2000, printing 16”x24” from 20mp files really isn’t difficult even if you crop. Of course it does help if you get your framing pretty close, but software is so good nowadays and techniques for maximizing what you have are so advanced the only reason I’d like a higher resolution body is for archival purposes And the desire to not fall too far behind in current tech.

Upvote 0

Swerky

G1X Mark III
Sep 3, 2020
For the new entry level cameras, wonder if they'll have rehashed sensor or new designs. Whatever, for the upper range one, hope the resolution would be between 25 and 30mpx, 8-10 FPS burst speed, decent video (don't care much to describe but won't be R6 level), ibis and don't forget the joystick please. I'd prefer the top panel over a second sd card slot.

Upvote 0