Canon to release a 100mp EOS R system camera next year [CR2]

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Would be pure pleasure to do panorama pictures of landscapes with this body and a supertele. Insane... Also wonder how many HDD would need to store this picture :ROFLMAO:

Now, really, I wish to see more news about this camera :)
I'm doing it now with the GFX100....it makes for really great images and well...Hard Drive space is relatively cheap these days...but you don't spray and pray that often.

You think that's bad..wait till you use pixel shift (I"m sure the canon will have it too)...and you start dealing with files that are about 1.5GB each.

fun stuff!!

cayenne

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2020
I am actually more interested to know how they can push dynamic range with 100MP sensor all on a small FF form factor. Pixel count only matters when dynamic range is good. I used to say Canon sensor is bad but they surprised me big time with R5. So perhaps they have more magic to show us.

I am speaking this as a 5DS R user for the past 6 years. 5DS R is a package with tons of pixels but no sensor performance. I am very tempted to buy R5 but I plan to wait for another year or so to see if they can show us something truly amazing.

and last but not least, 45MP and 100MP doesn't have a meaningful difference unless you are a specific kind of photographers.
5DS/R DR was a big step up from the 5DIII - on par with the later 5DIV at or above ISO 400. Not SONY territory for sure, but also not bad if you ask me. We can hope that once again the high MPIX Canon has better DR than the preceding R5. We will see.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2020
mostly agree, but AF and tracking still could be improved.. I have R5 and it is very good and happy with the purchase, but there are certain situations where AF hunts, thankfully not many. The other big improvement if they can get it is global shutter, but highly unlikely in a higher megapixel camera. I'm stoked and love my R5 to bits, but Canon is really dropping the Mic lately (as in showing off it means business) and it's nice to see. I was pretty close to changing vendors before the R5/R6 came out
Certainly still room for AF improvement. All Canon's mirrorless cameras suffer from not "falling back" if the AF looks "past" the intended focus point. It sort of sticks to the background it aquires. And you really struggle to get it "back" on track again. This would probably be the biggest upgrade for now.

Upvote 0
Well, as someone who is firmly in the target market and has been waiting for a higher MP camera I'm pretty excited to see how this thing performs. Personally, I was more than happy with the reported 80MP, but I'd be just as happy to look at 100MP.

My biggest concern with such high pixel density is determining the effective aperture where the benefits of such high resolution start to really demand focus stacking (or a tilt shift lens, I guess) to maximize quality for landscape photography. Regardless, it sounds like a really interesting tool, albeit with some additional considerations to put all those MPs to their full use!

Upvote 0
I will take a 100mp with a good amount of salt but If Canon does introduce a camera with 100 or more MP it will closer to $5k mark is my guess
I'd be even bolder, and suggest somewhat north of $5k!
Okay, I'll bite.

I don't need it and won't be buying it, but if true, I applaud Canon for going all the way to 100 rather than compromise at 80MP or similar. The resolution pretty much must be (at least) doubled to provide a perceptible benefit. 80MP is simply not a sufficiently large increase to provide significant benefits. 80MP would have duplicated the mistake Sony did with their 60MP camera. Without extreme pixel peeping I struggle--no--I don't see an improvement over images from their 42MP cameras. Thus, if Canon is going to ratchet up the pixel count, by all means break the 100MP barrier.

Of course, what lenses can resolve that resolution, who has the technique to take handheld shots at that resolution, and defraction sets in at f/2.8, and...;)
If it's aimed at landscapers, then a tripod would almost certainly be used, and quite possibly primes too. (Of course, everyone has their own ways of doing things).

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Forgive my tech ignorance, but does RF mount mean it absolutely has to be a 35mm full frame sensor (rather than being just a little larger)? Just wondering if they can squeeze any more sensor real estate in there (not a lot, just a bit) to help with mp count?

The image circles of many RF primes are reportedly quite large, which is why and how they can achieve so many stops of IBIS stabilization on the R5 and R6. I would say it's possible, but unlikely, that Canon would use a larger sensor for the camera in question. I expect they will stick to a 35mm full frame sensor rather than bumping up to the semi-medium format 44 x 33 mm size sensor that's found in the likes of the GFX100 even if many RF primes would cover it.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Fran Decatta

EOS R6
Mar 6, 2019
I'm doing it now with the GFX100....it makes for really great images and well...Hard Drive space is relatively cheap these days...but you don't spray and pray that often.

You think that's bad..wait till you use pixel shift (I"m sure the canon will have it too)...and you start dealing with files that are about 1.5GB each.

fun stuff!!

cayenne

I was just joking about the space in HDD :) already saw a jpg with pixel shift, and the amount of detail is awesome.

Having an R6 my "record" is actually a little bit more than 300 mpx in panorama landscape, using the 135mm. Of course. just for fun, having in mind that I work as a wedding photographer.

Upvote 0