Canon to release a 100mp EOS R system camera next year [CR2]

Why is it taking Canon 7 YEARS
to UPDATE their High Resolution Camera Model ??

EOS 5ds / 5dsr Released in Spring 2015

Is this Market Segment not Profitable Anymore ??

And it is there Resolve to let Sony and Fuji take over this Area so Lake and focus on the generalist and pro fast action market segments

Big Mistake in my Opinion

Huge Numbers of People will have jumped ship to the Sony A7Rx and
Fuji GFX Lines

That are Innovating and Updating on a
24 Month Cycle

Adios CANON
It was Great while it Lasted but...

The Fuji GFX 100s is Calling out to Me

Canon Shooter since 1976
(Canon AE-1)

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2020

And it is there Resolve to let Sony and Fuji take over this Area so Lake and focus on the generalist and pro fast action market segments

Fuji GFX Lines

24 Month Cycle

Adios CANON

Canon Shooter since 1976
(Canon AE-1)
The 5DS/R is still selling - so maybe it was just very good at doing what it was made for. I never felt any reason to upgrade before mirrorless came along. Sure, I would have liked to see Canon get into mirrorless with all its advantages faster. But they at least came out with a big splash with the R6 and R5 which both are great cameras. To me it looks like Canon has a winning strategy. So far they sold me a R6 and I'll also be preordering the R5s to match my complement of RF-glass. YMMV.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England

24 Month Cycle

If you like 24 month refresh cycles you may be better off with Sony rather than Fuji. But then the Sony is only 60mp.........
P.S. I hated the AE-1 ;)

• Haha
Upvote 0

MrToes

Best camera? The one shooting when S#!+ hits
Feb 9, 2015
North West US
If you like 24 month refresh cycles you may be better off with Sony rather than Fuji. But then the Sony is only 60mp.........
P.S. I hated the AE-1 ;)
I agree! For as much talk about "Conon being an innovating company" , they aren't doing it very fast.

• Haha
Upvote 0

MrToes

Feb 9, 2015
North West US
The 5DS/R is still selling - so maybe it was just very good at doing what it was made for. I never felt any reason to upgrade before mirrorless came along. Sure, I would have liked to see Canon get into mirrorless with all its advantages faster. But they at least came out with a big splash with the R6 and R5 which both are great cameras. To me it looks like Canon has a winning strategy. So far they sold me a R6 and I'll also be preordering the R5s to match my complement of RF-glass. YMMV.
P.S. I hated the AE-1 ;)
I agree! For as much talk about "Conon being an innovating company" , they aren't doing it very fast.

• Haha
Upvote 0

MrToes

Feb 9, 2015
North West US

Fuji GFX Lines

24 Month Cycle

Adios CANON

Canon Shooter since 1976
(Canon AE-1)

• Haha
Upvote 0
So are you printing or is this for online? 8x12 would seem to indicate you are printing. Using the term PPI would seem to indicate you are using online in which case 150 would be more than suffice. If print, then the R5 would has more the twice the pixels needed to print an 8x12 at 300dpi. Would seem anything beyond that just get a good telephoto lens and take a good shot to start and avoid having to crop in. I personally would rather have another lens to go with the R5 than spend funds on a new body but if money is no object than I say have at it.
Both digital display and print.

For digital display, the size is normalized to 3840x2560 pixels so that it is roughly a 1:1 for a 4K display with some vertical cropping If viewing on a 16x9 display. How many pixels per inch that comes out to will depend on your display size. A computer monitor will be quite high. A 65 inch 4K TV will be quite low. Both will look very good.

For print it is normalized to 3600x2400 pixels which comes out to 300 pixels per inch if printed at 8x12 inches. Don’t confuse image pixels per inch with printer dots per inch. Printers put dots down to make image pixels on paper. The number of dots used to make one full color image pixel pixel on the paper is significantly higher than the number image pixels. The bigger you print, the less image pixels per inch you need unless you have an extremely bad habit of sticking your nose up against a large print. People don’t stick their nose up against a 4K TV when watching TV, why they do that when looking at a large print is beyond me.

At any rate, yes. I output for both, and yes, it comes out to ~8-10MP. Sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less. Capturing at higher resolutions does make 8-10MP output look better.

Upvote 0
Canon tends to be slower, but bigger jumps. Sony and company are just now matching or exceeding where canon was at 7 years ago in resolution. How many canon bodies did you buy to finally get 50MP In the last 7 years? One. How many Sony bodies did you buy in that same time period To finally get to 50+MP? So which platform was less expensive Over the same timer period? I’ll take Canon any day of the week, thank you very much, unless of course you like spending thousands of dollars every couple years to replace your stuff. I’d rather buy less frequently in bigger jumps. It’s less expensive.

Upvote 0

MrToes

Feb 9, 2015
North West US
Canon tends to be slower, but bigger jumps. Sony and company are just now matching or exceeding where canon was at 7 years ago in resolution. How many canon bodies did you buy to finally get 50MP In the last 7 years? One. How many Sony bodies did you buy in that same time period To finally get to 50+MP? So which platform was less expensive Over the same timer period? I’ll take Canon any day of the week, thank you very much, unless of course you like spending thousands of dollars every couple years to replace your stuff. I’d rather buy less frequently in bigger jumps. It’s less expensive.
Since the AE1 days, I have gotten married to almost 40 Canon lenses that would be nearly impossible to part with. So I have the ball and chain on me. But I am in need of two body's that have higher resolution than our 5DSR's and have good working shutters. We are on our last leg on one body already ............

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC

You can say that again!

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
The 7D replacement enthusiasts are quite vocal about their need for 90D pixel density and that the R5's crop mode is only ~17mp. A full frame version with the same density would be ~80mp so they are a potential group of R5s buyers if Canon doesn't release a crop R sensor (and associated wide angle R lenses to suit).
What is clear to me is that a replacement 7D/7Dii with weather sealing, high fps, dual card, top AF performance at a relatively cheap price was a marketing unicorn and most likely won't be repeated with the same feature set/price in the R mount.
If a R5s is used for birding etc then it will be expensive and high fps and AF performance may be less than the R5/R6 simply due to the sensor read out rate of that many pixels.
I definitely appreciate the additional mp in the R5 vs 5Div - mostly for cropability - but wouldn't be tempted by a R5s. Previous/current buyers of the 5DS/R would be the same niche buyers in today's market for an additional bump in mp for whatever their use cases are.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
All I can say is that after four years of using 50mp cameras my next one will definitely be a lower mp, somewhere between 20 and 30. Then at least as I upgrade by computer systems I can benefit from faster processing whereas at the moment as I upgrade computers to faster machines I also end up lifting the size of the files and so from a processing speed point of view stand still.

Shooting 50mp...I never want to go back.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
All I can say is that after four years of using 50mp cameras my next one will definitely be a lower mp, somewhere between 20 and 30...
As a side note, I have to say that I'm not sure what dark magic Canon has employed but I would swear that the 20mp files from my 1Dx III appear to have significantly more apparent resolution than the files from my 1DX II. I'm willing to entertain the notion that it is simply confirmation bias on my part, but then again, it sure doesn't seem like that's the case.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
And so far despite being asked only one person has pointed out why they’d be interested in getting one and they admit it essentially boils down to ‘because I’d like it’.

Does anybody have a solid case use for using a 100mp 135 format sensor camera?

There is the focal length limited wildlife use, but wouldn’t that be much better served with a similar pixel density crop RF camera, an R7?
I'd make use of it for high-resolution macro images. And for everything else pretty much.

And no, absolutely not, a crop RF camera at the same pixel density would be a poor substitute for this because you're losing all that extra area around your central point for tracking the subject both in terms of what you can see through the viewfinder and more importantly, the autofocus AI.

So even if you ALWAYS crop your images to APS-C, you'll still be better off using a FF 100mpx camera and cropping down. (This is why APS-C will die and the R7 will be a one-off I suspect.)

• Haha
Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...a crop RF camera at the same pixel density would be a poor substitute for this because you're losing all that extra area around your central point for tracking the subject both in terms of what you can see through the viewfinder and more importantly, the autofocus AI.

So even if you ALWAYS crop your images to APS-C, you'll still be better off using a FF 100mpx camera and cropping down...
Not quite. The smaller the subject is in the viewfinder, the harder it is to nail the focus.

Each had its advantages and disadvantages. Do you take advantage of the extra real estate around your autofocus point to give you more flexibility and a greater chance at framing a moving object? Or do you crop more tightly and give yourself a better chance of getting the subject in focus?

It is true that with a 100mp R you can crop the image in the viewfinder and create what is for most purposes a 1.6 crop sensor camera. But, some on this forum object to paying for a full frame when they will almost always be cropping to at least a 1.6x factor.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
And so far despite being asked only one person has pointed out why they’d be interested in getting one and they admit it essentially boils down to ‘because I’d like it’.

Does anybody have a solid case use for using a 100mp 135 format sensor camera?
From Canon's perspective, "Because I'd like it," is more significant than any solid use case. After all, there are a lot more cameras sold because "I'd like it," than those sold because "I need it."

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
I NEED 100+ MEGAPIXELS

Because I Print 60" x 90" Prints on the Canon imagePROGRAF PRO Printer our Company has

I Need 300+ dpi / ppi for Sharp Close Viewing "Hallway" Prints

Simple Math :

Ideally I Need

300 dpi x 300dpi x 60" x 90"
= 486 Million Pixels (Megapixels)

Many of my Landscape Shots I Can't :

PIXEL SHIFT
PANO STITCH
SOFTWARE UPREZ
SOFTWARE STEP SHARPENING

Because of Subject Movement
Of Vegetation, Water , Sky , Wildlife

I'll Take as Many Pixels as Technologically Possible

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
Not quite. The smaller the subject is in the viewfinder, the harder it is to nail the focus.

Each had its advantages and disadvantages. Do you take advantage of the extra real estate around your autofocus point to give you more flexibility and a greater chance at framing a moving object? Or do you crop more tightly and give yourself a better chance of getting the subject in focus?

It is true that with a 100mp R you can crop the image in the viewfinder and create what is for most purposes a 1.6 crop sensor camera. But, some on this forum object to paying for a full frame when they will almost always be cropping to at least a 1.6x factor.
I would much rather have the subject appear closer in the viewfinder, both for tracking and focus. And I would much rather have a Crop camera with the same pixel density, compared to a full frame 100 MP camera likely costing twice as much.

I understand the big push towards full frame. I just wonder how many camera buyers are going full frame due to the constant marketing of YouTube reveiwers and influencers and forums like this one that make it seem as if only Full Frame can give you what you really want. As sensors have improved over the years, I have found that the low light advantage of Full Frame is nowhere as important now as it was a few years ago. There are so many advantages for me and what I like to shoot using a crop camera (I shoot MFT) that I just sold my Canon R and lenses. If Canon comes out with some Crop "R" cameras, I will definitely be in the market. And, since I do shoot a lot of sunsets, I will not rule out a new Canon FF camera if it is affordable enough - something in the price range of the Nikon Z5 - or the RP with a newer sensor on par with the current R. If APS-C crop were to die out, that would be a major blow to those of us who are still looking for less expensive and smaller kits. Without the marketing hype, I would have thought FF was far more endangered and APS-C crop was more likely to survive long term.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
From Canon's perspective, "Because I'd like it," is more significant than any solid use case. After all, there are a lot more cameras sold because "I'd like it," than those sold because "I need it."
Oh I agree and well understand that, and that is why it will come about. And I am sure no end of ‘influencers’ and ‘experts’ will gush over the capability (for a few seconds).

But I’m still curious as to why people think they want it, it fascinates me that people are sold on an idea (not just for cameras) even when it goes entirely contrary to what they are mostly best served by.

I understood the first mega pixel race, I understood the DR wars, I understood the desire to get previously undreamt of iso performance, I just don’t understand this renewed mega pixel race for any but the most specialized and niche of uses.

Upvote 0
I'd make use of it for high-resolution macro images. And for everything else pretty much.

And no, absolutely not, a crop RF camera at the same pixel density would be a poor substitute for this because you're losing all that extra area around your central point for tracking the subject both in terms of what you can see through the viewfinder and more importantly, the autofocus AI.

So even if you ALWAYS crop your images to APS-C, you'll still be better off using a FF 100mpx camera and cropping down. (This is why APS-C will die and the R7 will be a one-off I suspect.)

You have a good point with the FF 100MP being better for tracking with the wider view, but not everyone can afford this, The APS-C is more affordable for hobbyists so I think it should stay.

Upvote 0