Here is the Canon EOS R3

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Yeah I think a lot of people are missing that this is a leaked early development announcement rendering picture, I doubt Canon would change the grip material much unless they found a way to make it even more gripper or better for the user. I'm sure in person this camera will look just amazing.

I think bbasiaga is on the money here. Canon probably had to reevaluate how they would handle the 1Dx Mark III existing with the R3 at the same time.

I also think Canon can tell that the market is moving towards high-res, high-speed, and probably wanted to make a camera line for the professionals who wouldn't normally be buying a mirrorless camera. I do think that means that the R3 will not be a hugely high-res blockbuster, but instead a tried and true camera built for speed. The most important thing for 1d users is reliability, so that might be the focus here.

I would guess that if and when the R1 comes out, the R1 would be a camera that totally breaks the mold in ways that current pros might be hesitant to jump into at first. That said, no one said the R3 can't be 45 megapixels. I expect 24 mp, but if 8k is just where we're at right now, 45 mp might soon be "normal" resolution, and then the R1 could be upwards of 80mp.

I hate to compare lineups, but I'd say the R3 name makes sense as an A9 competitor, and the eventual R1 could be more of a A1 competitor. I could be wrong, but I think Canon is very aware of the importance of the 1 series name.
You have it completely backwards. Canon isn't manufacturing a flagship to keep up. Neither the A1 or A9 present any major challenge to the 1dx line. You can literally count them on one hand in any sporting venue, if you even see one A9 at all. I would not bet any money on anything being "Early development" Same story as last year, then boom. What was Canon's flagship before the 1Dx? There is nothing to ponder over. The DSLR 1d lines have been coverted to RF. Plain and simple. The Olympics will begin their showcase. Who cares about the nomenclature, 1dx owners know which is their replacement, same as the 5D owners.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Yeah I think a lot of people are missing that this is a leaked early development announcement rendering picture, I doubt Canon would change the grip material much unless they found a way to make it even more gripper or better for the user. I'm sure in person this camera will look just amazing.

I think bbasiaga is on the money here. Canon probably had to reevaluate how they would handle the 1Dx Mark III existing with the R3 at the same time.

I also think Canon can tell that the market is moving towards high-res, high-speed, and probably wanted to make a camera line for the professionals who wouldn't normally be buying a mirrorless camera. I do think that means that the R3 will not be a hugely high-res blockbuster, but instead a tried and true camera built for speed. The most important thing for 1d users is reliability, so that might be the focus here.

I would guess that if and when the R1 comes out, the R1 would be a camera that totally breaks the mold in ways that current pros might be hesitant to jump into at first. That said, no one said the R3 can't be 45 megapixels. I expect 24 mp, but if 8k is just where we're at right now, 45 mp might soon be "normal" resolution, and then the R1 could be upwards of 80mp.

I hate to compare lineups, but I'd say the R3 name makes sense as an A9 competitor, and the eventual R1 could be more of a A1 competitor. I could be wrong, but I think Canon is very aware of the importance of the 1 series name.
You have it completely backwards. Canon isnt manufacturing a flagship to keep up. Neither the A1 or A9 present any major challenge to the 1dx line. You can literally count them on one hand in any sporting venue, if you even se one A9 at all I would not bet any money on anything being "Early development"? Same story as last year, then boom. What was Canon's flagship before the 1Dx? You can expect there to be the Canon "wow factor" element.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019

You have it completely backwards. Canon isnt manufacturing a flagship to keep up. Neither the A1 or A9 present any major challenge to the 1dx line. You can literally count them on one hand in any sporting venue, if you even spot one A9 at all. I would not bet any money on anything being "Early development"? Same story as last year, then boom. What was Canon's flagship before the 1Dx? You can expect there to be the Canon "wow factor" element.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I'm enlightened by having decent reading comprehension. This wasn't a topic of replacement. It was a discussion, a segue really, of order. Does the 1D replace the 5D? Now you have achieved nirvana.

The 1D series had already reached 1D Mark IIN and 1Ds Mark II before the original 5D was introduced. Both series continued to roll out newer models going forward.

The EOS-3 did not fill a space between the EOS 5 and the EOS-1, it replaced the EOS 5. Once existing stocks of EOS 5 bodies were sold, there were no more EOS 5 bodies made and sold after the EOS-3 was introduced, only EOS-3 bodies.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
You can also tell that overall, the lens mount of the camera was moved slightly more towards the grip-side, giving you more room for your fingers when using a big fat lens. That's a huge plus over Sony ergonomics, which squish your fingers into big lenses.

I think you mean the lens mount was moved slightly away from the grip side...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I could see this happening, but it's curious that the R3 has a vertical grip where the previous high-rez body, the 5DS, did not. The R3 form implies sports/journalism use, which is the same as the R1.

Will sports/journalism users eventually have to choose between an R1 (high speed, lower rez) and an R3 (high speed, higher rez) that are actually much the same? I would be uncomfortable investing in an R3 if I anticipated that an R1 is coming, and uncomfortable buying an R1 if it's much the same as an R3 except lower resolution.

These compromises would leave me dissatisfied :unsure:

Alternative idea: the R3 is the 7DII successor, with a 28 MP crop sensor (scaled down from the R5 chip) with ultra-fast readout, MSRP comes in at $2800. Canon uses the R3 to test technology they eventually want in the R1, which debuts in a year or two. Everyone wins.

The 45MP R5 chip scaled down to APS-C is 18 MP, not 28 MP.

But why would Canon do that when they already have the 32MP APS-S sensor introduced less than two years ago in 2019 for the 90D and M6 Mark II?

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I am still hoping for the separation of the R1 line into two bodies similar to the old 1D and 1Ds alignment.

R1 would be sports/photojournalism workhorse and speed and focus monster.

R3 would be focused on studio and landscape work with high MP, decent speed, great battery life, larger screen, ability to work equally as well in landscape or portrait orientation.

R5 remains the allrounder.

There still might be room for a cropped sensor (R7?) and a video oriented R.

Just my personal hopes as I am waiting for the high MP R body.

Perhaps, but in the current market, I wouldn't be surprised if the R3 is the 1D equivalent and the R1 is the 1Ds equivalent.

Upvote 0
If that is the actual render of the camera then that's a big hell yes from me. Looks stunning with a carbon fibre like appearance. I would like to think the R3 will support 8K since the big body will handle heat a lot better, so I'm hoping for a new 45-50MP sensor being either stacked or global shutter and hopefully with QPAF for x-type AF points. I don't really care about shooting speeds beyond 20fps, just as long as the e-shutter shooting speed is fully customisable like on all 1D series, where you can set fps values for low, medium and high to your liking. R5 needs a fw update to allow slower e-shutter fps ASAP.

I assume it'll be an R5 on steroids, with faster processing, faster AF, dual CFExpress type A, hopefully USB-C charging, 8K 24/30p, 6K 30/60p, 4K 24/30/60/120p, FHD 24/30/60/120/240p. Would love to see a 7.3MP 120Hz (1920 x 1280) OLED EVF offering a 240Hz 5.7MP mode for extreme action.

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
If that is the actual render of the camera then that's a big hell yes from me. Looks stunning with a carbon fibre like appearance. I would like to think the R3 will support 8K since the big body will handle heat a lot better, so I'm hoping for a new 45-50MP sensor being either stacked or global shutter and hopefully with QPAF for x-type AF points. I don't really care about shooting speeds beyond 20fps, just as long as the e-shutter shooting speed is fully customisable like on all 1D series, where you can set fps values for low, medium and high to your liking. R5 needs a fw update to allow slower e-shutter fps ASAP.

I assume it'll be an R5 on steroids, with faster processing, faster AF, dual CFExpress type A, hopefully USB-C charging, 8K 24/30p, 6K 30/60p, 4K 24/30/60/120p, FHD 24/30/60/120/240p. Would love to see a 7.3MP 120Hz (1920 x 1280) OLED EVF offering a 240Hz 5.7MP mode for extreme action.
This a very reasonable prediction although I hope that Canon sticks to CFExpress type B cards because they are faster than type A. I currently have an R5, but I would definitely like to see all AF points be a X-type and a stacked sensor for faster readout speeds. If the R3 had these two specifications I would likely trade in my R5 for an R3 body. A R3 with these specifications would still leave room for a R1 model with a global shutter and an extremely fast electronic shutter (>=40 fps) for exceptionally high-speed photography. Personally, I am happy with 20 fps and I am not sure I see the applications for additional fps. Even at 20 fps sometimes I get frustrated looking through 60-80 frames that all look essentially the same. Interesting times...

Upvote 0

Phil

EOS R, RF24-105 f4, RF35 1.8, RF50 1.2, RF85 1.2
Oct 17, 2018
My guess is that Canon have been preparing the R1 as a mirrorless version of 1DXiii. But Sony's A1 ruined the party. So the R1 renamed R3 to discourage any comparison, and take some time to redesign R1. I bet R3 will have a 20MP sensor.
That’s definitely a real possibility.

Upvote 0

Phil

Oct 17, 2018
Quick note: the R3 battery does not appear to be compatible with the 1DXMK3. If both images are to scale, which would appear the case, given that the lens diameter seems to match, then the battery end cap is clearly longer on the R3.

View attachment 196923
So bigger battery? I hope so.

Upvote 0

Phil

Oct 17, 2018
How is the timeline relevant? Yeah the 5 was from 92 and the 3 in 98. It sits in between, it just wasn't launched as such. The nitpicking here is world class.
That’s exactly right, I was selling camera gear at that time and the 3 was definitely in between the 5 and the 1 not a replacement for the 5. Also the product cycle for high end models back then was normally at least 10 years.
Side note I had the EOS 5 and I friggin loved that camera, when the 3 came out with its massive amounts of focus points, high frame rate with grip and unique (for canon) sharp edge design language I almost wet my pants but couldn’t afford to upgrade at the time but I did use it a lot and loved it. Also used the Nikon F5 a bit at that time which I also loved.

Upvote 0