Let’s talk about the Canon EOS R3 [CR2]

Jan 29, 2011
I'd be highly surprised if a global shutter doesn't go first into a camera with high end video features. Today that means at least 8k. 8k leads us to at least 45 for the pixel count.
The C700 GS has been available for some time....

But even if you just mean a video centric MILC requires 45mp I disagree, look at the Sony A7S III.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
LOL.
That is huge.
I read up on Type A and I have no idea why Sony chose it over SD Express.
I can't see how Sony does not have the ability to make SD Express readers and media.
It seems like it would be easier for Sony to make SD Express catch on easier than CFExpress Type A
"Phison ships the new PCIe SD Express card SD 7.0 in March, 2021. The card will come in 256GB and 512GB capacities. SD Express cards can achieve speeds of up to 870MB/s with PCIe Gen3x1 supporting content applications and data generated by highly demanding system architectures. Learn more at www.phison.com"
whereas Sony could actually make CFe type A cards and get them into the A1 (remember the memory stick?). Note that 160GB is their largest capacity and type A cards are roughly twice the cost per GB as type B cards (Sony tax :) )

Sony having dual CFeA slots that are backward compatible with USH-II SD cards is a good idea. The only real restriction is the 1GB/s throughput for type A vs type B. We aren't really sure what the full 8k raw sustained bandwidth is as slower type B cards aren't on the Canon approved list.

CFe type A cards weren't available for the R5 when released or perhaps Canon didn't want to be beholden to Sony's rollout further impacting R5 sales. The R5 HW design would have been locked in well before implementation and CFeA cards were only defined in 1Q2019

Upvote 0
The C700 GS has been available for some time....

But even if you just mean a video centric MILC requires 45mp I disagree, look at the Sony A7S III.

The Sony doesn't have a global shutter does it? It's also very much yesterday. Or at best today. Putting out a high end camera with a global shutter today with only 4K support would be a strange choice.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Cannot discount people with too much money and time to buy more toys to waggle it around on the Facebook. ;)
I am not so sure that non-professionals buy such large cameras.
Professional video shooters usually have multiple cameras but it would have to have a lot to offer over the C70.
(Internal RAW may be enough)
I find that sports and wildlife photographers tend to carry one big camera and maybe a smaller backup.
Lugging around multiple cameras can be problematic for them.
That does not mean it will not catch on.

Upvote 0

st jack photography

..a shuttered lens, backwards viewing backwards..
Even better would be a round sensor 43mm in diameter so you can choose to crop : protrait, landscape , square or circular at the flick of a switch and you wouldn't need a vertical grip at , also camera could keep the chosen crop level automatically

RF lenses are not made to handle a 30x30 sensor.
Tale off the cap ant take a look!
Oh my goodness I forgot all about that lol! Every time I look at one of my RF lenses it surprises me to see that. That weird rectangle/light shaper looks like something that just doesn't belong on a stills camera outside of an extension tube, lol.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

st jack photography

..a shuttered lens, backwards viewing backwards..
Random thought, since we're all still spitballing, but I'm wondering if the "focus using your eye" tech Canon is mentioning will also allow them to return to using normal eyecups? The EOS 3's eye position sensor was inside the viewfinder itself, and used normal removable eyecups. I desperately hope that the R3 also has user replaceable eyecups, because it drives me crazy that I can't swap the R5's eyepiece out. My weather covers work OK on the R5, but nothing near as nice as the replaceable ones on my 1DX2 and 5D3.
Yes, a removable eyecup! It has been a few years since I shot with an old 5dm3 and an angle finder, but that was the closest to modern-day waist-level that can be found, and now you cannot do it, I guess. I used to love to shoot that way, taking off the eyecup and attaching the expensive right-angle finder. I keep wanting a removable eyecup nowadays too, or a way to have a viewfinder that folds up on a 90-degree angle, or has a top-down view like the old waist-finders. The FUJI medium format has the flip-up and removable viewfinder, and I had a Canon m3 with the detachable viewfinder that flips up. I would love to see them come out with a body that had removable viewfinders.
Now that camera bodies no longer need that mirror box I would like to see some innovation on body design instead of a camera that just looks boringly like a smaller DSLR. I want to see a removable flat LCD panel ON TOP, not on the back. Why is this such a hard thing to design or do? Why is the current body design, viewfinder, and form factor so locked in? I see that huge viewfinder bump on mirrorless Canon's and it makes no sense. The RP is the only body without that huge annoying VF bump.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I am not so sure that non-professionals buy such large cameras.
I am not a professional photographer, and I own a 1-series body (and several other bodies, too). If the ‘barrier’ to non-professionals is size, why does Canon sell battery grips (even for Rebel/xxxD models)? If the barrier is cost, there are plenty of well-heeled hobby photographers out there (including me).

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
Oh my goodness I forgot all about that lol! Every time I look at one of my RF lenses it surprises me to see that. That weird rectangle/light shaper looks like something that just doesn't belong on a stills camera outside of an extension tube, lol.
Yep , I didn't realise that either but a round sensor of 27mm diameter would fit for aps-c

Upvote 0