More features and specifications for the Canon EOS R3 have emerged

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
I predict that we will get the resolution number within the next few days. There must be a few pre-production models floating around if Gordon Laing has one.

Therefore Canon won't be able to keep a lid on the specs for much longer or they will be leaked to CR as a CR3 level rumour.
My understanding is that Gordon Laing was only able to look at a pre-production model of the camera, but was not allowed to touch the camera. I suspect that we will have the full specifications by mid-July and a release date of early September. Frankly, I am still on the fence to purchase or not. I currently own a R5 and might very well wait until a R1 is released. Resolution and AF improvements for wildlife are important to me.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I'd wager 20MP. The fact that they're not trumpeting the resolution is pretty suggestive that it's not an exciting spec, so staying the same as the R6/1DXiii wouldn't surprise me in the least.
Would be a non starter for me. Would much rather have the R5's 50mp/20fps than 20-30mp/ 30 fps. All the added features are just fluff except the BSI sensor, but I don't care for video at all, which more than half of the advantages of having that are applied to. Not enticing me at all to switch from my R5. Better luck next time Canon.

It is kind of a strange decision to include a BSI sensor, which mostly video people crave, and then remove video features like 8k. Canon will not give it all. Lol

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
I was hoping for higher MP, and this is not promising. Too bad as I would have put in a preorder. But it sounds like the R3 is going to make reach-limited subjects even smaller, which is not what I am looking for in a wildlife body.

Reach will continue to be an issue for me until Canon develops lighter weight high performing telephotos.

What I don’t understand is why Canon is stating this body will compete with the A1 and Z9 if it will have half the MPs. Also, why the big marketibg hype about undercutting the competition when you are selling something that isn’t in line with those products anyway?
Hopefully Canon is just playing games anf does have a sensor of at least 30MP-45MP. Maybe they are scared of advertizing 8k again if it is limited recording time again.Fingers crossed for better news but I am prepared to be disappointed.
By the rime you can put in a preorder we will know all the specs. We don’t know what the Rez is yet, which is why people are guessing from low to high. It’s possible that this tease will give us a big surprise when they finally tell us everything before the release announcement.

they could be holding the best for last.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

frjmacias

EOS R5 and EOS M50
May 14, 2020
Monterey, California
Not so sure about that myself. How many scenes are interesting enough that are 30 mins long?
The record limit being removed is not for scenes would be my guess. A lot of professionals do long format recording for interviews, shows, and corporate events. An unlimited record limit would prove invaluable for those professionals. That said, these professionals are probably doing external recording to a monitor like the Ninja V+ anyways.

Upvote 0
You are getting a stacked sensor. If you've ever shot an A9/A1 back to back with an R6/R5 you will know why that matters...a lot for fast action photography. And now confirmation that flash can be used with ES sort of guarantees not only a good read speed like the A9 but a top end read speed like the A1. Unless the flash sync is limited to 1/160 or something then it would be A9 level (even though A9 didn't allow flash with ES).

I also don't understand why people are surprised this may be a 20 odd MP camera even with the highest price in the R lineup? The 1DX series has always been way lower MPs than the 5 series and has always sold for way more than those cameras. Nothing to be surprised about there. I predicted 20 odd MP sensor from the very start and I'm sticking with my prediction.

The A1 changed the dynamics, that's why. This will be seen as less than and deservedly so.

Upvote 0
If they force you to use 30fps only with electronic shutter (as the R5 forces you to use their 20fps only with it) then I will be beyond disappointed with that particular feature. I am hoping that they will offer various fps settings for all shutter modes, including fully electronic. Then, in the near future, I hope that they give R5 users a firmware update to allow various fps settings for electronic shutter as well. This is a very sorely-needed (and easy) fix for the R5 that Canon really needs to make as soon as possible.
We all hope with Canon and we stay with hope most of the time!
I was hoping for a fw update with my 5d4, my c100 mark ii, my R and now we were hoping for R3 to come with at least 40mp+ and it turned out that's not the case! R5 offers 8k and then everyone should expect 8k on R3, tha is not the case either. Where in the heck is c-log2?? We are paying 6k ffs! I would love to buy R3 and use it as a b-cam with my c70 but with these specs I'm not willing to pay 6k!! Nevertheless 20/24/28mp for that price range today in 2021 is already outdated! I have hopes for R5C if it comes with a fan inside and the same specs for stills. So f*cki*g frustrated right now!

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2016
I'd wager 20MP. The fact that they're not trumpeting the resolution is pretty suggestive that it's not an exciting spec, so staying the same as the R6/1DXiii wouldn't surprise me in the least.
When have canon ever mentioned mp in a development news? This is just how they operate with releasing info, don’t make more of it.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
We all hope with Canon and we stay with hope most of the time!
I was hoping for a fw update with my 5d4, my c100 mark ii, my R and now we were hoping for R3 to come with at least 40mp+ and it turned out that's not the case! R5 offers 8k and then everyone should expect 8k on R3, tha is not the case either. Where in the heck is c-log2?? We are paying 6k ffs! I would love to buy R3 and use it as a b-cam with my c70 but with these specs I'm not willing to pay 6k!! Nevertheless 20/24/28mp for that price range today in 2021 is already outdated! I have hopes for R5C if it comes with a fan inside and the same specs for stills. So f*cki*g frustrated right now!
Then it just isn’t the model for you. Every camera is not designed for every user. Personally I am seriously interested in the R3 and the MP count is close to irrelevant for me.

As for waiting for firmware updates, why? Buy a camera for what it does out of the box, nothing else is implied or guaranteed.

Upvote 0

Rocksthaman

Eos R , R6 , R5
Jul 9, 2020
Then it just isn’t the model for you. Every camera is not designed for every user. Personally I am seriously interested in the R3 and the MP count is close to irrelevant for me.

As for waiting for firmware updates, why? Buy a camera for what it does out of the box, nothing else is implied or guaranteed.
Literally knew you would be the first to respond

• Haha
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I agree and to me, it doesn't make any sense for the R3 to be lower resolution than the R5 especially if it comes in at $6K. What are we getting for $2K besides a grip and eye focus?
1 series build quality, ergonomics and battery. Improved AF and fps. The first Canon FF stacked back illuminated sensor. LAN/Ethernet port. New hot shoe port.

Flip the question around, what does the 1DX III offer that the R3 doesn’t, yet the 1DX III is $6,499.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SpaceGhost

Canon 1DX
Jul 19, 2012
Texas
The non-matching dual card slots really sucks especially at this price point. Makes me feel the resolution will be low as well. The R3 was looking to have a lot of potential for my next purchase until this news dump.

On the flip side, I really like the new body.

I used to spend more money on my camera gear until Canon started dragged their feet with the switch to mirrorless. The R5 is great but I've always been a 1 series fan. The R3 looked like a great compromise but now I feel I'll just wait.

Upvote 0
I am not a rumor guesser, but I am not sure why everyone thinks this needs to be 45 or 50 mega pixels. The R5 covers that pretty well. With the new sensor technology if I had to guess I am going for 20-30, but I really have no idea. I am not sure they need another 20mp camera either with the 1dx3 and R6. 24? 30?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0