The Canon EOS R3 will be $5999 USD

st jack photography

..a shuttered lens, backwards viewing backwards..
This is the part where I predictably get mad, swear off Canon, and just sell my Sony and Canon gear, buy a Ricoh gr3, and call it good. I ca't afford this stuff any more, hah. The quality is superb, but my wallet can't handle it.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
There has obviously been world wide supply chain issues leading to higher costs that Canon is taking into account in its pricing.
Below is one example of a company raising prices across the board for its products. Don't expect many good deals this Black Friday!

Upvote 0

Toglife_Anthony

Hit the G.A.S. & pump the brakes at the same time!
Apr 2, 2020
Because it does mean developing an all new product. That all new product would be the R1. Personally, I doubt the R3 was ever the R1 internally at Canon. Stuff like the eye tracking is not just something you pull off the shelf and dust off to put into a camera a month or so after your competition releases a camera that is better than yours. At a minimum, they had to have known about the A1 specs months before it was announced to pull off a rebadging like that. And to say the planned R1 was going to have that all along? I don’t buy that for a second. Canon has never put eye tracking in a flagship.

what is more likely, is Canon will do something similar to what they’ve done with the R5 and R6. The R1 is a high megapixel beast and the R3 is basically the same thing, but with a lower MP sensor and a few feature tweaks.

i have the R5 and R6 (both with grips) and they’re basically a perfect pairing. the R5 is the main body, the R6 the backup, unless you don‘t want/need high MP on a given shoot, then the R6 is the main body and the R5 is the backup. It’s great. I can totally see the same strategy with the R1 and R3.
That is irrelevant to my point.

If the R3 was meant to be the R1 but they changed the name, they still have to develop an R1.
If the R3 was meant to be the R3 and they didn't change the name, they still have to develop an R1.
Either way, they still have to develop an R1.

So again, changing the name would likely be the least amount of effort if they kept the internals exactly as developed and designed. But help me understand why the R3 couldn't possibly have been intended as the R1 because "Canon has never put eye tracking in a flagship"? So Canon can never be innovative with their flagship camera?

But let me be clear - I'm NOT saying the R3 was meant to be the R1, I just don't understand why folks are acting like it's an impossible theory. People are so adamant in calling people foolish for thinking it was meant to be the R1, when none of us have any more credence over the other with our opinion on the matter.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
I'm surprised that anyone's surprised by this price. Canon just raised the price of some of their RF L series lenses and those were already around $300, give or take a $100, more than their EF counter parts.

No, I was also surprised they raised the price on lenses. It gives a poor impression even when it's necessary.

Upvote 0
"We still consider the EOS-1D X Mark III to be our flagship professional camera due to its extreme reliability and confidence it delivers in the hands of professionals. However, it is true that the EOS R3 exceeds the EOS-1D X Mark III in some specifications, to the extent which, by the conventional definition, you could consider it a flagship camera."

- Go Tokura, Chief Executive, Image Communication Business Operations at Canon (interview on DPR website.)

So it is, and isn't a flagship camera. :)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
"We still consider the EOS-1D X Mark III to be our flagship professional camera due to its extreme reliability and confidence it delivers in the hands of professionals. However, it is true that the EOS R3 exceeds the EOS-1D X Mark III in some specifications, to the extent which, by the conventional definition, you could consider it a flagship camera."

- Go Tokura, Chief Executive, Image Communication Business Operations at Canon (interview on DPR website.)

So it is, and isn't a flagship camera. :)
He went on to say,

“While the RF system is a major evolution of the EF system, we believe that in order to bestow an RF camera with the “1” model designation, we must achieve an even greater level of performance, and we continue to work towards reaching those high standards.”

So the 1D X III is the flagship, and there’s a new flagship coming.

But he did give people license think the R3 is a flagship, if they want.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

He went on to say,

“While the RF system is a major evolution of the EF system, we believe that in order to bestow an RF camera with the “1” model designation, we must achieve an even greater level of performance, and we continue to work towards reaching those high standards.”

So the 1D X III is the flagship, and there’s a new flagship coming.

But he did give people license think the R3 is a flagship, if they want.

I suspect the R1 will come with the Digic X2 processor. These current bodies are all still running on 'last years' tech. Of note, it would be a dreadful time to make a new processor, while the tech is there to make something faster you would need to fight Apple, Nvidia, AMD, and soon Intel for those 5nm wafers.

Upvote 0
R3 is a stacked BSI and will be a much better camera ergonomically so that cancells out the 50mp depending on ones use case. The R1 is likely going to be the one camera to rule them all and will be priced accordingly.
Well, I don't think you can say that hypothetical(although I'd tend to agree) better ergonomics cancels the 50mp versus the rumoured 30megapixels of the R3. There's a lot to be said for a smaller body too. Additionally, the R1 doesn't exist yet, so I think it's a bit premature to make assumptions when nothing is known about it.

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2014
Did 20 MP stop you buying a 1dx3? Or were you always going to buy a 5dIV and R5 type body?

24MP and even 6MP hasn’t stopped me making A2 or even A1 sized prints. And even bigger than that you don’t necessarily need more pixels.
I enjoy wildlife photography. My trusty 1DX2 now stays behind. The R5 is my go to camera. The ability to crop and retain detail is a big advantage of high MP files. Canon has to keep pace. A 24 MP sensor in a new $6000.00 camera is a hard sell. JMHO

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

BuffaloBird

CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020
R3 is a stacked BSI and will be a much better camera ergonomically so that cancells out the 50mp depending on ones use case. The R1 is likely going to be the one camera to rule them all and will be priced accordingly.
Um, absolutely not. Ergonomics do not cancel out MP. I will never shoot Sony, but still. I will never buy a 24MP camera, either.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

I enjoy wildlife photography. My trusty 1DX2 now stays behind. The R5 is my go to camera. The ability to crop and retain detail is a big advantage of high MP files. Canon has to keep pace. A 24 MP sensor in a new $6000.00 camera is a hard sell. JMHO

I use a Nikon Z6 for wildlife and it has 24 MP. I have never needed to crop and when I get a 45MP body that is just more details on the subject. Canon is doing exactly what was expected. From the 1Dx to the 1Dx3 they asked pros what resolution was wanted and there was always pushback from anything greater than 20MP. Nikon had the same issue with the D5 and D6. The only reason Nikon can get away with it with the Z9 is that they still have a D6 and they have way fewer photographers in stadiums demanding images race over ethernet to an editing station.

That the R5 is now better for you is great, but wasn't a D850 or 5DIV not better than the 1DX2?
Once you use a blackout free EVF and can have 30 FPS on the subject, isn't that going to get you more shots to pick than the R5?

I personally am disappointed the Nikon Z9 is going 45MP as I would rather 24MP. The R3 is looking more attractive but it'll depend on Nikon getting solid AF and/or who gets out something like a 180-400/500mm f/4.0 first.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

Um, absolutely not. Ergonomics do not cancel out MP. I will never shoot Sony, but still. I will never buy a 24MP camera, either.

So you never bought a 1Dx 1/2/3? It has been the case for years that the lower tier camera is high MP lower FPS and the top tier camera has lower MP but is better in every single other way including low light AF performance. If you need 45MP then the R5 is there, if you need a more professional camera that you can take up to the artic with you then the R3 is coming but you might want to bring a couple 1Dx3 with you too.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
No, I was also surprised they raised the price on lenses. It gives a poor impression even when it's necessary.
I'm not... they're perpetually out of stock. If raising them slightly helps keep them slightly longer on the shelves, it's only profit to canon and the camera stores (since they can't restock them quickly enough).

I waited months for my 28-70... even given the hefty price, I'm pretty sure I would have been happier if I didn't have to wait and paid 10% more.

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
View attachment 200128

Here's the dollar/yen chart for the last 5 years. Where is the dollar dropping like a rock?
Sorry, I speaking to value, not currency exchange. Inflation is affecting almost all currencies. By "dropping like a rock" I meant relative to what you can buy with a dollar. Anyone who has been shopping lately and can't see the change is, to put it politely, not very observant.

Upvote 0