The Canon EOS R3 will be $5999 USD

I think we were all surprised by the lens price increase, as many of us felt Canon had already priced most of their L lenses at the upper range of what one would expect. On the other hand, we don't really know the current cost of R&D, materials, chips, marketing, transportation, etc., involved in the mfg of camera gear right now. We also don't have the privilege of inside information as to what Canon's profit margins on R/RF eqpt. are either. In the absence of the aforementioned, I will temper my criticism(s).
It has nothing to do with chip shortages. Everyone is facing the same chip shortages, yet Canon is the only one raising prices on lenses. It has everything to do with their insane greed, like this stupidly priced $6k camera. Keep it up Canon, you are pricing yourself right out of the market. Sony and Nikon are celebrating right now.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
You’re right, no one can afford the <$1000 EOS RP, the $400 24-105, or the new $300 16/2.8. Canon is so elitist.
No one wants 4 year old cameras that were so gimped they sucked when they were released, and no one wants garbage quality budget gear either. Thats Canon's problem. The cameras and lenses are either so expensive you need to mortgage your home, or they are entry level garbage. There is ZERO middle ground. Thats where 3rd party companies like Sigma and Tamron would greatly help out, but Canon is too greedy to allow it. Hell, they already chased Samyang off.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
I'm sorry but how are ALL these people here raving they can't wait to buy a 20MP camera for $6,000?
  1. Why are you not waiting for the R1?
  2. If you're a PRO why not make it with a 1DXMKIII until the R1 if you're concerned about your glass
  3. If you're a pro and already using a 1DXMKII or 1DXIII are you not getting the R1?
  4. Why do you want a low-resolution camera when the Canon R5, SONY A1 and Nikon Z9 are all within reach?
Articulating back, Auto Eye Focus, Dissimilar Media Cards, Lower resolution than the R5, A1, Z9...... What are people thinking?

Upvote 0
very interesting to see the price disparity, $6000 usd is $8156aussie and the euro conversion makes it $9794 those Europeans are getting shafted by canon crazy. the $1600 dollar difference you could fly to USA and have a holiday and pay no taxes! apart from Covid meaning we cant even leave our own country. at least until next year some time. You d have to be crazy to buy one in Europe from a dealer.
Sony and Nikon are somewhere celebrating together right now because all Canon's absurdly priced cameras and lenses will do is drive potential customers straight to Sony and Nikon.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Kiton

Too deep in Canon to list! :o
Jun 13, 2015
It has nothing to do with chip shortages. Everyone is facing the same chip shortages, yet Canon is the only one raising prices on lenses. It has everything to do with their insane greed, like this stupidly priced $6k camera. Keep it up Canon, you are pricing yourself right out of the market. Sony and Nikon are celebrating right now.
I read on a web security site they paid HUGE dollars to a ransomware attack. I think that also factors in the price increases. The 14-35 is almost 500 more than the Sony 16-35 here!! That is insane!

• Wow
Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
I am not suggesting the photographers care, I am saying Canon would care.

Those use cases don’t seem to require an extremely rugged body with an integrated grip.

Consider this: for many years Canon carried both the 1D line (faster, lower MP, sports/PJ) and the 1Ds line (slower, high MP, wedding/commercial). When they ‘merged’ those lines, the resulting 1D X and its successors looked essentially like the 1D.

A ‘cycle’ after that merge, Canon increased the MP of the 5-series to the highest FF MP count (50 MP in the 5Ds/R) in a Canon FF camera to date – the ‘crown’ first held by the 1Ds series. 1Ds -> 5Ds. The torch was passed.

That seems like good evidence Canon feels the high MP needs are best met by a 5-series body. Thus we also have the R5 at 45 MP. I expect the R5s will be along as some point with a 60-80 MP sensor and modest fps. Then the R1 at modest MP.
What's different now compared with the recent DSLR
I am not suggesting the photographers care, I am saying Canon would care.

Those use cases don’t seem to require an extremely rugged body with an integrated grip.

Consider this: for many years Canon carried both the 1D line (faster, lower MP, sports/PJ) and the 1Ds line (slower, high MP, wedding/commercial). When they ‘merged’ those lines, the resulting 1D X and its successors looked essentially like the 1D.

A ‘cycle’ after that merge, Canon increased the MP of the 5-series to the highest FF MP count (50 MP in the 5Ds/R) in a Canon FF camera to date – the ‘crown’ first held by the 1Ds series. 1Ds -> 5Ds. The torch was passed.

That seems like good evidence Canon feels the high MP needs are best met by a 5-series body. Thus we also have the R5 at 45 MP. I expect the R5s will be along as some point with a 60-80 MP sensor and modest fps. Then the R1 at modest MP.
In terms of sports photography, I think Canon cares more that there are big white lenses at events than which specific camera models are being used as long as they are pro-level ($$$) models. The R3, only $500 cheaper than the 1DX3, will provide Canon with a good market share and significant profits.

In terms of the overall camera line, Canon has already shown that they are going in a different direction than their recent DSLR history with their first ever pro-body that is not a "1" series camera. Some say that it is an interim camera until the 2024 Olympics. I disagree for the following reasons:

1. Too high a premium for an upgrade. Imagine that you are a sports photographer now and looking for a mirrorless camera. So you go out and buy an R3 for $6K. In three years you are going to shoot at the Olympics and Canon comes out with a low MP R1 (the replacement for the R3) and they want $8K for it. True it will likely have global shutter and better autofocus. But $2K better? If I'm that guy, I'm scrambling to buy another R3 instead. It's tough to pay that much more for a camera that will be used for the same purpose.

2. Profits. A high MP R1 with global shutter, 16 bit files, and lower FPS than the R3 would be attractive to a wide variety of professionals and enthusiasts (wildlife, macro, landscape, commercial, architecture, etc). Canon could justify the $8K price based on pro-body, high MP, plus these other improvements over an R3. However, if they leave the high MP model to the 5 series, they will only be able to charge maybe $4,500 for it. I believe they would be able to sell many high MP R1s at $8K as there seems to be a market for premium high MP cameras such as the Fuji GFX 100s. Canon would want a piece of this market. There would still be room for a ultra high MP R5, but it likely wouldn't have a BSI sensor, global shutter, 16 bit file, etc and therefore priced accordingly.

3. Size reduction will make the R1 more attractive for non sports photographers. The R3 body is significantly smaller and lighter (I assume, no weight data yet provided) than the 1DX3. This is important because a future R1 will I believe likely also have a similar form factor, and therefore the weight penalty of going to a 1 series vs 5 series camera is much reduced compared to the DSLR era. This will make the R1 much more attractive to commercial and wealthy enthusiast photographers that had been using a 5 series camera due to the excessive size of the existing 1 series camera.

So these are the reasons why I believe the R1 will be a high MP camera instead of a replacement for the R3. But only time will tell.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
I plan a trip to Japan to try to avoid VAT, grabbing R3, 28-70 and 100-500. I'm not a working photographer just an enthusiast who saved up. Is there anyone like me ?
Maybe I'll buy some Tenga to decoy the EU border control...
"Anything to declare?"
"Well... *sweats* this I bought" *shows a pack of three tengas*
*bored control start to inspect*
"Well they are used to I thought I could avoid declaring"
No warranty is a pretty major downside and a trip to Japan including accommodation won't be cheap

Upvote 0

Billybob

800mm f/11 because a cellphone isn't long enough!
May 22, 2016
I read on a web security site they paid HUGE dollars to a ransomware attack. I think that also factors in the price increases. The 14-35 is almost 500 more than the Sony 16-35 here!! That is insane!
Well at Adorama, it's $1098, so the price is $600 different. However, I don't consider this a fair comparison. That 1mm at the wide end is huge, and the Sony lens--one of Sony's first G lenses--is at best extremely ordinary. It's quite good from 16-21mm, but just okay to mediocre beyond 24mm. Thus, the Canon zoom is worth a significant premium over the Sony. Whether that difference is $500-$600, only the purchaser can say. I ended up with the 15-35L gray market for $1900. No regrets.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
No one wants 4 year old cameras that were so gimped they sucked when they were released, and no one wants garbage quality budget gear either. Thats Canon's problem.
Canon sells more ILCs that anyone else and has for close to two decades. They don’t have a problem. Sounds like you might, though. Good luck with it.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
It appears, jDavis, that you have a great deal of anger towards Canon, for whatever reason and it appears they have really gotten under your skin. You might want to stay off of social media for awhile, at least until the dust settles on the R3 announcement. BTW, I never mentioned anything about Chip shortages.

• Haha
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I'm sorry but how are ALL these people here raving they can't wait to buy a 20MP camera for $6,000?
  2. If you're a PRO why not make it with a 1DXMKIII until the R1 if you're concerned about your glass
  3. If you're a pro and already using a 1DXMKII or 1DXIII are you not getting the R1?
  4. Why do you want a low-resolution camera when the Canon R5, SONY A1 and Nikon Z9 are all within reach?
Articulating back, Auto Eye Focus, Dissimilar Media Cards, Lower resolution than the R5, A1, Z9...... What are people thinking?
You know nothing, Goldwing Snow.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
There seem to be handful of people who have said they will buy this camera. And another handful that may consider it when they get some actual reviews. At this price level, regardless of brand, there will never be a large number of buyers compared to the R5 or R6 for example, as far as I can guess.

So, potential buyers are:

1) Not waiting for the R1 because this camera has the capabilities they want; there is no R1 yet and we don't know what specs it will have; the R1 will cost more.

2) I'm sure many PROS are indeed using the 1DX III and have no plans to buy this camera. Other PROS that may still be using the 1DX II - and those looking to try mirrorless, may be potential buyers.

3) As mentioned, there is no R1, no specs for the R1, and the R1 will cost more. If this camera has the capabilities they need, PROS have no reason to wait - especially if they need to replace their older gear now (or soon) - and are looking for a cheaper camera.

4) Because higher MPS is either irrelavent or even a hindrance for some - if not many - action photographers. There have been replies in this thread from some PROS that have mnentioned reasons why lower MPs makes their jobs easier at various venues. Canon, no doubt, has done considerable market research in finding out what the target market would like to see in terms of MPs. Lower MPs makes it easier to have higher FPS. Lower MPs make it easier to have a larger buffer. There have been comments in other threads that have demonstrated that you need to crop consideably before the difference between 24 and 45 MPs even makes a noticeable difference.

I am just guessing of course, what people are thinking. But my guess, based on years worth of reading comments in threads, is that the majority of people are glad that the camera will have an articulating back. More people in other threads want dissimilar media cards than the two of the same, many are intrigued with Auto Eye Focus and hopeful it may be a very useful spec, and I've already mentioned the MP question.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I am just guessing of course, what people are thinking.
See, that’s the difference. Goldwing claims he buys photo gear for the 20ish best sports photographers in the world, so he knows everything about what all sports photographers are thinking.

Surprisingly, none of those best sports photographers were at the Olympics in Tokyo. I guess their invitations were lost in the mail or something.

• Haha
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Not by a long shot. The market isnt comprised of only high end cameras. Canon dominates on the low end and entry level cameras also. Nobody sells more low end cameras than Canon.

Upvote 0
That’s interesting. Canon Australia gives 5 year warranty here too but it is non-transferable
can you post a link to where it says that the 5 year warranty isn't transferrable? We don't need to "register" to get the extended warranty so how would Canon know if you sold it with the original receipt but void the remaining warranty?

Upvote 0
I can see a lot of doctors, IT professionals, surgeons, lawyers etc buying this camera. Not a lot of photographers...it's a great camera for the uber-wealthy.
Virtually everyone is a photographer now with their phones if nothing else. It is just a case of how much you are prepared to spend on camera equipment to get the shots you want. Even then you don't need to buy the best to get great shots. Less people will buy the R3 vs the R6 and R6 and M5 etc. That goes to price as well as GAS. That said, there is an inverse luxury brand rule where some brands increase their price and sell more!
The R3 will perform at the highest level. Whether some people consider it luxury is a different question

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Wait. Stop. A 'PRO' does not need 1dx or such. A huge amount of 'pro' work is headshots, product shots, advertising, medical, photos for website etc etc etc. The cameras you think a PRO needs is misguided. Just because a camera is a flagship does not make it the choice of 'pro' who need to look at ROI, mpx etc. R1/3 is for high-end photojournalists, wildlife and sports shooters. These cameras are designed for them, as for them not missing a shot is paramount.

Upvote 0